Sponsored by:

Red M/T 2018 GT3 available next week. 25 over

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 05:24 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,101 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Originally Posted by rodsky
Why do people care so much about PTS - drives exactly the same as non-PTS. Now, if you're going to collect something, i could potentially understand. But a regular GT3 is not a great investment vehicle (pardon the pun)
I love a handful of the PTSs more than Miami Blue and Sapphire Blue so to me it was a no-brainer to put in the request for Golf Blue.
Old 10-24-2017, 02:25 AM
Terrence
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by ajag
Honestly 25k ADM to get a 6MT car in a week based on what we've been seeing demand-wise, is a very realistic ask.

I agree. I have been looking all over the US for a Honda Civic Type R for a friend. Called and emailed a bunch all over the US. Most want at least $5K over and are getting that easily from customers, and $5K on that car is over 15% over MSRP. 15% over MSRP on a typical GT3.2 should be about $25K. If Honda Civic's can get that, why couldn't GT3's? LOL!
Old 10-24-2017, 02:30 AM
Terrence
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
But ya really can't. And it won't be a manual. And it won't be brand new with a full warranty. RS is not really a valid comparison yet.
Yes. I am buying a GT3.2 to drive, not to hold and keep as an investment or show to people at Cars and Coffee. For my purpose, I bet the GT3.2 manual will be much more fun to drive than a GT3.1 RS, which incidentally I owned up until 5 months ago, so I have some frame of reference.
Old 10-24-2017, 07:19 AM
Bossing
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 45 Posts

I have a lead on a new incoming manual GT Silver at 15k over according to the SA. At that markup, I don't think it's going to last long.

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
I love a handful of the PTSs more than Miami Blue and Sapphire Blue so to me it was a no-brainer to put in the request for Golf Blue.
Hell yeah.... gOlf blue is on my top 3 favs. I fell in love with this color ever since I saw it on this RS last year.

Golf, not gulf:

And I also like arrow blue pts.
Old 10-24-2017, 07:30 AM
Freddie Two Bs
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by carz80am
I think Porsche of Arlington is selling a red pdk gt3 for 25k over. What's up with all these red car's? More buyers at white, gray, black, then at red I would assume....
Guards red is having a resurgence even in the old aircooled market. I think it's starting to be seen as a legit classic color and is an opportunity to add Porsche heritage on a new car for the vast majority who can't access paint to sample...
Old 10-24-2017, 08:58 AM
Dougr743
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

The GR is uber sharp on the gt3 and very few prior model years are in red, so its timing, plus the launch car was GR. I think the value factor of the cars will be contingent to the number of touring vs non touring. Will see in 4 or 5 years.

i was not going with GR, but I have a 2011 red f150 (its the house vehicle, tow boat truck, or just to have a truck) and that red on the f150 is so sharp, I pulled the trigger on the GR for my allocation. Never thought i would buy a red car and the truck was in stock on the lot with the ecoboost when it came out, so It was red or red or red. Only one they had
Old 10-24-2017, 11:55 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,394 Likes on 640 Posts

Guards red will be very boring in 5 months
Old 10-24-2017, 12:22 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 634 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
What color won’t be boring in 5 months?
Old 10-24-2017, 01:20 PM
mass27
Burning Brakes

Received 284 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Originally Posted by Mech33
White/Chalk/Crayon/Carrera/Carrara/Karerrah White will be very boring upon delivery, yet it is the color that has the highest number of production.

There are some who will say lava orange should replace red as one of the primary colors. Then follows the superfluous "the color changes like a chameleon on each and every angle and degree of light."

I can't think of a topic that is more subjective than color, maybe politics. Maybe.

Last edited by mass27; 10-24-2017 at 02:06 PM.
Old 10-24-2017, 01:28 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,881 Likes on 1,904 Posts

Originally Posted by Bossing
I have a lead on a new incoming manual GT Silver at 15k over according to the SA. At that markup, I don't think it's going to last long.
Feel free to PM me the dealer contact.
Old 10-24-2017, 01:32 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by mass27
White/Chalk/Crayon/Carrera/Carrara/Karerrah White will be very boring upon delivery, yet it is the color that has the highest number of production.
IMO, the reason why colors like white, black, silver, chalk are so popular (and awesome) is because they act as a base palette that show off the lines of the car and the contrast with other elements without overpowering everything. They allow all the little details to stand out in contrast; the trim, the wheels, mirror/wing tip accents. Colors like GR, UV, Lava, etc. become the overpowering focal point of the car. Cool for a bit, then tiring IMO. Color is certainly subjective, but I think the reason why many of us prefer the simple base colors is for the reason I mentioned.

IMO, the visual aspects of a car attract me in this order.

1. Shape
2. Stance
3. Wheels
4. Color

And IMO #4 shouldn't detract or overpower 1-3.
Old 10-24-2017, 06:13 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 614 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
my PTS
Old 10-24-2017, 06:23 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,341 Likes on 706 Posts

IMO, the reason why colors like white, black, silver, chalk are so popular (and awesome) is because they act as a base palette that show off the lines of the car and the contrast with other elements without overpowering everything. They allow all the little details to stand out in contrast; the trim, the wheels, mirror/wing tip accents. Colors like GR, UV, Lava, etc. become the overpowering focal point of the car. Cool for a bit, then tiring IMO. Color is certainly subjective, but I think the reason why many of us prefer the simple base colors is for the reason I mentioned.
Originally Posted by mass27

There are some who will say lava orange should replace red as one of the primary colors. Then follows the superfluous "the color changes like a chameleon on each and every angle and degree of light."

I can't think of a topic that is more subjective than color, maybe politics. Maybe.
You both make excellent points. Color is very subjective, which is great, because as we see on the 991.2 GT3 order thread, there are many many different colors ordered and I don't think any color has more than 15% of the vote.

I would hate it if 50% or more of the GT3s were ordered the same color as mine.

I look at this the same way as mass27 and I think the white, chalk, greys, are totally boring, but I appreciate why some order those colors.
However, my guards red 991.1 GT3 was delivered the same day as a new white 991 GT3 and they both stayed in the dealer showroom for 2 days. My salesman told me later that my GR car got 90% of the attention during those few days"because it looks so much cooler", he said people told him repeatedly.

I disagree with guards red being boring in 5 months. I've had my current GR 991 GT3 for 2.5 years and I still don't get tired of looking at her. I think the 991 GT3 looks good in almost any color, but short of PTS, nothing appeals to me as much as GR, so that's the color I've chosen again for my .2 GT3.
Old 10-24-2017, 06:37 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

I should clarify, I think GR is actually closer to a base palette color like white or black in the way the car looks and I think it's very classic Porsche. I don't feel the same about colors like Lava, UV, Racing Yellow, Miami Blue, etc.
Old 10-24-2017, 07:54 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,341 Likes on 706 Posts

I should clarify, I think GR is actually closer to a base palette color like white or black in the way the car looks and I think it's very classic Porsche. I don't feel the same about colors like Lava, UV, Racing Yellow, Miami Blue, etc.
ah, I see your point. I could understand the perspective of extreme and unusual colors like UV, miami blue, RY taking away from the other details on the car.

I was really replying to CJ when he said that GR would be boring in 5 months. Again a subjective concept as every individual looks at color differently, but I certainly don't think GR has become boring after to me after 2.5 years.

Quick Reply: Red M/T 2018 GT3 available next week. 25 over