Sponsored by:

CAR magazine - Sports Car of the Year - 720S wins, GT3.2 second

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 11:15 PM
Warren99
Racer

Received 279 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Just in time
Not to be jaundiced but think a UK car mag is going to pick a German car over a very competent British car?
Evo has picked a Porsche for its car of the year 6 times in the last 10 years so that UK mag thinks the Germans are pretty good
Old 10-15-2017, 11:18 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,269 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by Warren99
Car and Driver, Motortrend, and Road & Track have all been coming out with their big sports car test and they have all had different lineups. Just because the cars are out there doesn’t mean the magazines can get them for the test. I would love to see every relevant sports car in all these test, don’t get me wrong, I just don’t think it’s always that easy.
They cant get a 488? Voted best car by a couple of magazines?

They cant get a Performante? Voted best car by other magazines?

come on guys- if you are going to do a comparison and declare a winner- have a full stable of cars. And if you as a magazine cant get a car to test drive, why are you in the car magazine business?
Old 10-15-2017, 11:35 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Yippiekiaye

come on guys- if you are going to do a comparison and declare a winner- have a full stable of cars. And if you as a magazine cant get a car to test drive, why are you in the car magazine business?
Honest question - are you an owner / credible buyer of any 991 GTx car or a 14 year old kid masturbating on the internet? I cannot believe someone who can come up with $150K+ for a frivolous toy could be so naive and obtuse.

I once wrote a letter to Road & Track whining about why they didn't have "Car XYZ" in a comparison test. That was nearly 20 years ago, and I was 8 years old.

How is it not abundantly obvious to any adult that things generally work like this:

Automotive magazine schedules test marquee annual performance car test
Automotive magazine Road test editor (or similar) contacts car companies and asks for every hot new car during the week or so of the test
Some cars are available
Other cars are not available for a litany of reasons
They do the test
They publish the test
Old 10-15-2017, 11:41 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,742 Likes on 5,127 Posts

Not to get sidetracked, but I've wondered why car magazines don't just go and buy the cars themselves, instead of asking them from the manufacturers.
Old 10-15-2017, 11:47 PM
Warren99
Racer

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Not to get sidetracked, but I've wondered why car magazines don't just go and buy the cars themselves, instead of asking them from the manufacturers.
Because they refuse to pay ADMs
Old 10-16-2017, 12:04 AM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Guest89
Honest question - are you an owner / credible buyer of any 991 GTx car or a 14 year old kid masturbating on the internet? I cannot believe someone who can come up with $150K+ for a frivolous toy could be so naive and obtuse.

I once wrote a letter to Road & Track whining about why they didn't have "Car XYZ" in a comparison test. That was nearly 20 years ago, and I was 8 years old.

How is it not abundantly obvious to any adult that things generally work like this:

Automotive magazine Road test editor (or similar) contacts car companies and asks for every hot new car during the week or so of the test
Some cars are available
They do the test
They publish the test
I own more exotics than you. Lets leave it that. Car magazines with multimillion dollar budgets should get the currently available cars to do proper tests.

How can you proclaim the best car when you haven't freaking tested every available car?

Call your magazine article something other than "Sportscar of the year" if you cant test every car.

I fail to see how you can be so obtuse and dense to not realize this.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:10 AM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Received 408 Likes on 159 Posts

Then GT3's would never appear in car magazines again.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:32 AM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Yippiekiaye

For these "Car of the year" comparisons, they only test cars that are new models, or a new version of a car for that given year. The 488 is out because it is not a new car. As for the Performante, or Super Fast, I think Lamborghini, and Ferrari refused to supply a car.

They simply don't have the money. It is not a very profitable business. They rely on car manufacturers to provide them cars, airfare, hotels, meals etc. for most of the individual tests. That is why you have to take car magazine reviews with a teaspoon full of salt.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:34 AM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 102 Posts

Some cars are available
They do the test
They publish the test
best post of the night.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:35 AM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MM3.9GT3
For these "Car of the year" comparisons, they only test cars that are new models, or a new version of a car for that given year. The 488 is out because it is not a new car. As for the Performante, or Super Fast, I think Lamborghini, and Ferrari refused to supply a car.

They simply don't have the money. It is not a very profitable business. They reply on car manufacturers to provide them cars, airfare, hotels, meals etc. for most of the individual tests. That is why you have to take car magazine reviews with a teaspoon full of salt.
This is all Im saying. The title of the article is completely wrong. Its not "New" car of the year- therefore 488 should be included. Performante is a new car but if Ferrari and Lambo refused to provide cars, then dont proclaim the car of the year.

Just call it a comparison of the cars that they tested.

This whole premise is stupid and I agree- I do take it with a grain of salt but its just hard to waste valuable grains of salt on an incomplete test/comparison.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:46 AM
isv
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MM3.9GT3
They simply don't have the money. It is not a very profitable business. They rely on car manufacturers to provide them cars, airfare, hotels, meals etc. for most of the individual tests. That is why you have to take car magazine reviews with a teaspoon full of salt.
^ this. The magazines depend on the promotion of the cult of the new car for their continued existence by way of advertising dollars. There's always the latest and greatest thing to be hailed as the best ever so the 'car of the year' type reviews are basically only for cars released that year.

And tbh I think the result is why there's all the carping levelled at this particular magazine. if the gt3 had won most would be hailing as proof it's such a great car....
Old 10-16-2017, 10:50 AM
Warren99
Racer

Originally Posted by isv
^ this. The magazines depend on the promotion of the cult of the new car for their continued existence by way of advertising dollars. There's always the latest and greatest thing to be hailed as the best ever so the 'car of the year' type reviews are basically only for cars released that year.

And tbh I think the result is why there's all the carping levelled at this particular magazine. if the gt3 had won most would be hailing as proof it's such a great car....
I agree with this. When any mag picks “our favorite” as the winner, we’re happy to post those results defending our choice. I’ve been guilty of this. My personal bias influences how I read an article, just like I’m sure the writers bias influence how they write it.
Old 10-16-2017, 01:37 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,742 Likes on 5,127 Posts

Sometimes these things work both ways.

I get it that car magazines, especially when they do these comparisons or "Best of" or "Car of the Year" pieces, depend on manufacturers supplying them the cars.

And I get that sometimes when these comparison are done, the magazines are not provided certain cars from the manufacturers -- for whatever reason.

I get all that.

But here's the thing. As long as the car magazines ask all the manufacturers for the cars that they want in their comparison, then if the manufacturer does not, or chooses not, to supply the requested car, then that fact alone says as much to me -- and maybe more -- than the result of the actual comparison done by the magazine.

#AreYouListeningFerrari
Old 10-16-2017, 02:53 PM
johnr265
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Most magazines will include the prior years winner but if it is last years model and that model didn't win, then it is not included the next year (haven't read the article so don't know if that is the case here BTW).
Old 10-16-2017, 06:21 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 437 Likes on 262 Posts

Some cars are available
They do the test
They publish the test
or for even more adults they get straight the cash from best offerring brand publishing anything came out for absurd reasons and plan next year to get more from the loosers

only a kid could think lambo would refuse a winner weapon as the Performante to a car magazine making marketing for free

easy to think how many 720 Mc will sell thanks to Car mag and multipling the percentage for the jurnos how much cash will flow to Panama

Quick Reply: CAR magazine - Sports Car of the Year - 720S wins, GT3.2 second