Sponsored by:

Montana Registration

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 11:50 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 176 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by RUF RS
Buy a place in Montana, and buy the car at a dealership there, OR, buy the car at any dealership that will ship it to you residence. That is exact answer to you question
Unless you spend consecutive 30 days in CA with car then it comes to CA with tax
Old 10-15-2017, 12:26 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Want lower taxes? Move to a state with them. Have to pay to play, and if one is ok with breaking the law then you’re rolling the dice. It’s your own business and have to face the consequences if/when that happens. Do what you want.

I’m sure this thread and common knowledge of this in other places will raise quite a few flags.
Old 10-15-2017, 12:42 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,291 Likes on 680 Posts

This thread should be moved to one of the topics where only rennlist members can see it.
Old 10-15-2017, 12:50 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,529 Likes on 5,056 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
This thread should be moved to one of the topics where only blind members can see it.
FIFY
Old 10-15-2017, 08:55 AM
GTR GUY IN AZ
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is not just high end cars...........Motor homes are perfect to register in MT......
Old 10-15-2017, 11:06 AM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 278 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by audipwr1
Unless you spend consecutive 30 days in CA with car then it comes to CA with tax
Is it you, the car, or both?
My residence is NH, with no sales or incomes taxes, there's an unearned (!?) income tax though.
Minimal yearly state and local registration fees.
If I keep a NH plated car at a rented property in CA, but I'm never there for more than 29 days in a row, am I technically in violation of a CA law or statute?
Old 10-15-2017, 12:09 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 176 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by d00d
My residence is NH, with no sales or incomes taxes, there's an unearned (!?) income tax though.
If I keep a NH plated car at a rented property in CA, but I'm never there for more than 29 days in a row, am I technically in violation of a CA law or statute?
Not sure but I can say from personal experience when registering a car brought into the state if you write down it's been in the state longer than 21 days you pay a hefty fine
Old 10-15-2017, 12:36 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,092 Likes on 1,009 Posts

Originally Posted by d00d
You’re not because NH is your permanent residence which you can prove if asked. I do the same in NY and GA with no issues. Had cars in NY with GA plates and license, and GA allows the smog test to be bypassed because the car was in NY which I verified in writing it was worked related. By the way CA can never verify as you could have stayed a night in Vegas and the clock starts all over again? My situation is legal in GA and NY no tricks you can’t carry two drivers licenses.
Old 10-15-2017, 12:50 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Can we set up a Montana Rennlist LLC for all members here to use?
Old 10-15-2017, 06:48 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,869 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Look, we are all big boys and girls here and can understand the risks and rewards of registering a car in MT. Some people are more risk averse and some people are more risk tolerant. I don't need to hear from anyone who I should or shouldn't be doing.
In Rennlist's defense, you did come on a public internet discussion forum and willingly disclose that you were doing this. You can't really get upset when people discuss it and, as statistics would predict, some take issue with it. It's tax evasion, however small, and some people have a problem with it. And people tend to discuss things on discussion forums.
Old 10-15-2017, 07:50 PM
Outlaw
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
In Rennlist's defense, you did come on a public internet discussion forum and willingly disclose that you were doing this. You can't really get upset when people discuss it and, as statistics would predict, some take issue with it. It's tax evasion, however small, and some people have a problem with it. And people tend to discuss things on discussion forums.
Have to agree.

And discussing the situation with the officer and inferring that he would agree with your tax situation could really get you into a lot of trouble, despite the fact that there was mention of shut the F up and all.
Old 10-15-2017, 11:15 PM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Wow.

Setting up a Montana LLC is tax evasion - call the whistle blower hotline - lawyers set up the LLC as do CPA's.

Last edited by nuvolari612; 10-15-2017 at 11:31 PM.
Old 10-15-2017, 11:21 PM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Originally Posted by Outlaw
Have to agree.

And discussing the situation with the officer and inferring that he would agree with your tax situation could really get you into a lot of trouble, despite the fact that there was mention of shut the F up and all.
I drive with plenty of guys who have Montana plates - we raise money for several groups one being police officers and I assure you they don't care where an exotic car guys plates are from - they worry about going home at night protecting and serving the citizens - trust me what you think is a big deal is not in fact it's not anything.

You have to agree - based on what please share.
Old 10-15-2017, 11:21 PM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by nuvolari612
Wow.

Setting up a Montana LLC is tax evasion - call the whistle blower hotline - lawyers set up the LLC as do CPA's.

I am not a fan for other reasons but plenty of guys do it - for the life who made some guys around here the judge and jury.

Do it don't do it who cares wtf someone else does - trust me if it bothered you so much post your tax return and let's analyze ... who cares the POTUS won't even show his and you hold the jail cell key to a fellow car guy to the forum ... WOW!
Concur.

How many people speed, don't run a front plate, all the other bull****.

When you have 7 figure and higher tax bills, enough is enough. Most states are so poorly run if they were independent businesses they would be out of business.
Old 10-15-2017, 11:36 PM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Originally Posted by fastmd
Concur.

How many people speed, don't run a front plate, all the other bull****.

When you have 7 figure and higher tax bills, enough is enough. Most states are so poorly run if they were independent businesses they would be out of business.
Thanks - deleted it in part as I can't figure out why so many guys care what someone else does.

Guys with 10 figure incomes have dealer plates / Montana Alaska they seem fine with it when driving to their hangars.

Quick Reply: Montana Registration