Montana Registration

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 12:23 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by nuvolari612
Wow.

Setting up a Montana LLC is tax evasion - call the whistle blower hotline - lawyers set up the LLC as do CPA's.
No Einstein, but driving a car in California for an extended period while it is registered in another State is both tax and fee evasion in California. Understand? And did you miss the part where I said ‘albeit small’?
Old 10-16-2017, 12:41 AM
Outlaw
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
In Rennlist's defense, you did come on a public internet discussion forum and willingly disclose that you were doing this. You can't really get upset when people discuss it and, as statistics would predict, some take issue with it. It's tax evasion, however small, and some people have a problem with it. And people tend to discuss things on discussion forums.
I drive with plenty of guys who have Montana plates - we raise money for several groups one being police officers and I assure you they don't care where an exotic car guys plates are from - they worry about going home at night protecting and serving the citizens - trust me what you think is a big deal is not in fact it's not anything.

You have to agree - based on what please share.
After 21 years of practicing, i can tell you that making an admission of avoiding taxes for years on a license plate to LE would be stupid and could be a felony.

If you lie about it then there could be obstruction charges in addition.

It’s a crapshoot literally, if you get pulled 10 Times, 2 will stick it where it hurts and 8 won’t care.
Old 10-16-2017, 01:05 AM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Did those of you who sold your cars for more than you paid for them report the capital gains and net investment income tax due? That's 15-20% on long term cap gains, or up to 39.6% on short term cap gains plus the 3.8% NIIT. Of course, there is a state tax obligation too for some.
Old 10-16-2017, 01:12 AM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Outlaw
After 21 years of practicing, i can tell you that making an admission of avoiding taxes for years on a license plate to LE would be stupid and could be a felony.

If you lie about it then there could be obstruction charges in addition.

It’s a crapshoot literally, if you get pulled 10 Times, 2 will stick it where it hurts and 8 won’t care.
You practice law - yet you say "could" twice and "if" twice so you have no idea what USC does.
Old 10-16-2017, 01:23 AM
Outlaw
Pro

I don't care if you practice law - you say could twice and if once so you have no idea what USC does but feel free to state otherwise ...

Had enough court cases and depositions and pretty sure no one says anything but facts or someone sticks it where it hurts
I see you edited your dumb response, wherein you called me a child, replaced by a smiley. Put the bottle down man.

Depositions are civil lol, and I’ve had a few thousand criminal court cases where I’ve actually represented clients who have made admissions when pulled over. It doesn’t end well in those cases.

I never mentioned any member, and I am only relaying my experiences. Take it FWIW. I don’t care either way.
Old 10-16-2017, 01:26 AM
nuvolari612
Drifting

No Einstein, but driving a car in California for an extended period while it is registered in another State is both tax and fee evasion in California. Understand? And did you miss the part where I said ‘albeit small’?
I didn't miss anything other than you assume more than I care for.

It's car forum stick with cars vs taxes and personal attacks you may actually enjoy the place.
Old 10-16-2017, 01:37 AM
nuvolari612
Drifting

I see you edited your dumb response, wherein you called me a child, replaced by a smiley. Put the bottle down man.

Depositions are civil lol, and I’ve had a few thousand criminal court cases where I’ve actually represented clients who have made admissions when pulled over. It doesn’t end well in those cases.

I never mentioned any member, and I am only relaying my experiences. Take it FWIW. I don’t care either way.
You seem to care a lot - adding insults knowing I deleted mine. I don't drink and come here to post maybe you are a reflection of your assuming self seems to be a common theme.

You clearly supported another member who insulted a member ... nice try.
Old 10-16-2017, 02:20 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,690 Likes on 2,338 Posts

interesting thread indeed.
i dont have MT plates but i also dont wear underwear when i put pants on.
i dont think any of you care if i have undies on or not.
and i can't care less if you have MT, NV, or martian plates on your cars.
Old 10-16-2017, 02:54 AM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 151 Posts

...and moody for the win...
Old 10-16-2017, 03:12 AM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 394 Posts

Since this seems to be a red hot thread, why don't I add a little fuel to the fire, even if it is a tad off topic.

I wonder how many people who sell their cars (think Rs, RSs, 918 Spyders, etc.) for far more than they paid ever report the income/gain. I'll bet it's somewhere around the same number of people who pay sales tax on items purchased out of state by "mail order," "the Internet," or some other means. (Of course the latter applies only to states with their own sales/use taxes.)

In posing these questions, if I could hide my identity even more than it's hidden with my screen name, I would. :-)
Old 10-16-2017, 09:24 AM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Originally Posted by HelpMeHelpU
Since this seems to be a red hot thread, why don't I add a little fuel to the fire, even if it is a tad off topic.

I wonder how many people who sell their cars (think Rs, RSs, 918 Spyders, etc.) for far more than they paid ever report the income/gain. I'll bet it's somewhere around the same number of people who pay sales tax on items purchased out of state by "mail order," "the Internet," or some other means. (Of course the latter applies only to states with their own sales/use taxes.)

In posing these questions, if I could hide my identity even more than it's hidden with my screen name, I would. :-)
US 3.5 Trillion e-commerce - e-bay user names are all going to be held accountable just ask the lawyer but give him a few days to clean up all the P - rofits.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:41 AM
Outlaw
Pro

US 3.5 Trillion e-commerce - e-bay user names are all going to be held accountable just ask the lawyer but give him a few days to clean up all the P - rofits.
Hard to police eBay ......but amazon got away with the tax advantage for years and one could argue that’s what gave them the base of buyers that they have now.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:50 AM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Hard to police eBay ......but amazon got away with the tax advantage for years and one could argue that’s what gave them the base of buyers that they have now.
Actually easy - buyers sellers apply with SS number transaction tax = e-commerce tax id.

Spyerx is spot on - done.

Last edited by nuvolari612; 10-16-2017 at 10:29 AM.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:13 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,806 Likes on 1,101 Posts

Originally Posted by Lodi
Does anyone who insures with USAA register their vehicle in MT? Any issues? I picked up a Boxster Spyder and I'm not sure how long I will keep it so I'm considering going this route for the first time. Thanks!
In Rennlist's defense, you did come on a public internet discussion forum and willingly disclose that you were doing this. You can't really get upset when people discuss it and, as statistics would predict, some take issue with it. It's tax evasion, however small, and some people have a problem with it. And people tend to discuss things on discussion forums.
I jay walked yesterday. I also drove nearly 90 for 4 hours on I5 on Saturday. Passed a cop too. Your tax forms are 100% accurate right? Ever buy on eBay or Amazon and not report to CA (don't lie to me, you know you did even though CA has a spot on the tax form bet your says $0). Every buy a used car from a private party?

Not sure who assigned you the role of morality police but really, mind your business. What other people do is their business. If they get their butts handed to them that's them, not you. It doesn't impact you. And stick to the topic, which I posted above for a reminder. Lastly, when posting on Rennlist, try to be additive to the discussions. People here like advice, they like how to, they like sharing experiences. Constantly just sharing your opinion gets freaking old.

To the OP, some insurers will allow it some will raise an eyebrow. I don't, I just don't buy and sell enough to deal with the hassles.

And like Mooty said, there are much more important things to worry about. Like driving Porsches. And underwear.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:35 AM
goin2drt
Banned

Received 744 Likes on 403 Posts

The ignore function is awesome

Only wish when someone replies to someone on your ignore list the post would still be not visible.

Quick Reply: Montana Registration