Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which tire for my GT3

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 01:30 PM
Mr. Turtles
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Re tracking with PS4's they are actually very good and particularly for anyone who is still learning and not in the top run groups. The PS4's will scream or bark at you as they reach limits.
Old 04-23-2018, 11:35 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

I am pretty conflicted about this decision. I have now had 12,000 miles out of the Dunlops, and 13,000 out of the Cup 2’s. I have done 2 track days in two years. The Dunlops were clearly the stickier tire on the street. The Dunlops are just easier to get heat into, while the Cup 2’s take much longer. I have the roads and twisties to have some fun with the car without it getting too stupid. Will i lose significant grip with the PS4’s? I do like the cold and wet benefits, not that i drive the car often in those conditions. Maybe i will just order them and report back.
Old 04-23-2018, 11:46 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,359 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
I am pretty conflicted about this decision. I have now had 12,000 miles out of the Dunlops, and 13,000 out of the Cup 2’s. I have done 2 track days in two years. The Dunlops were clearly the stickier tire on the street. The Dunlops are just easier to get heat into, while the Cup 2’s take much longer. I have the roads and twisties to have some fun with the car without it getting too stupid. Will i lose significant grip with the PS4’s? I do like the cold and wet benefits, not that i drive the car often in those conditions. Maybe i will just order them and report back.
I'd try the 4S ... you will give away *some* dry grip performance vs the Cups etc ... but that's less of an issue for street use...
Old 04-23-2018, 11:47 AM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

most people who run the tires hard on track would say that the cup 2 outlasts dunlops by a good margin
Old 04-23-2018, 11:54 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Get the new Cup R that just broke a record on the new RS.
The following users liked this post:
Marker1 (07-29-2020)
Old 04-23-2018, 12:03 PM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Received 260 Likes on 160 Posts

After ~8800 miles and 5 track events, I replaced the Dunlop Maxx Race on my GT3 with Michelin PS4S tires. I have done one track event with the new PS4S tires so far and they were fine for my limited skill. Plus, they are much quieter with more wet grip on the street.
Old 04-23-2018, 12:34 PM
SCCAForums
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts

PS4S if you are only doing 2 or so track days a year... more than that... and I recommend PS4S for the street, and get a 'track set' of wheels/tires (Cup 2s).

Best Regards,
Dave
Old 04-23-2018, 01:19 PM
_fletch
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LAGinz
I hear what you are saying, but I don't think you really answered my concern. You don't have to be driving at the limits to appreciate better turn in characteristics. It's not a question of how absolutely fast you can go through the twisties, but rather how responsive the car feels in the turns with the different types of tires.
You will not feel any difference in responsiveness because there physically is (almost) no difference. The contact patches with the road either have traction or they do not. In dry conditions the sticky mixed-compound tires will maintain traction longer under more load than the harder compounds as well as regain traction quicker if it's lost. Unless you are exceeding the traction limits of the harder compounds there will be zero discernable difference between the two. They will feel identical.

Hope that answers your original question!
Old 04-23-2018, 01:28 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 465 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
I don't have any experience with the Cup 2s or MPS4S yet but I ended up with the Dunlops on my .2 GT3 and I will say that I was pleasantly surprised by the tires, expecting them to be much harsher, louder, and more frisky in the wet. I took the Dunlops through just about every weather condition I could think of, and I agree with your assessment of the Dunlops (at least compared to P-Zero on my C4). They are very sticky, not bad in the rain unless you get on throttle to soon and too hard, and warm up fairly quickly. Road/tire noise is not that bad for my ears. I don't know how similar or different the Dunlops are to the Cup 2s, but I initially thought I struck out not getting the Michelin's and ended up really happy with the Dunlops so far.
Old 04-23-2018, 02:56 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,091 Likes on 386 Posts

There is a lot of brand bias on this forum for michelin cup tyres. I ran two days at Spa with a CUPS on my winged GT3 and Dunlop’s on my Touring and noticed no notable difference between the grip levels of the two tyres.
Old 04-23-2018, 03:38 PM
bigskyGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

So in addition to better wet weather traction, it sounds like the PS4S will be better for driving in cold weather without damaging the tire. Is that accurate?
Old 04-23-2018, 03:39 PM
_fletch
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Correct - and much safer
Old 04-23-2018, 04:11 PM
PwAg
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

On a faithfully departed 7.2GT3, ran PS for street. Track: Rotated 2nd set of oem wheel and BBS e88's wrapped with Hoosiers/Trofeo/SC's for track. Would do same all over. Was often caught in afternoon CO t-storms on surface streets, feel PS came in handy.
Old 04-23-2018, 04:45 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I'd try the 4S ... you will give away *some* dry grip performance vs the Cups etc ... but that's less of an issue for street use...
Okay thanks.

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
most people who run the tires hard on track would say that the cup 2 outlasts dunlops by a good margin
I think that makes sense, because on the street the Dunlops get up to temp much quicker and are stickier. On the track I would expect them to go off quicker. For the street, they make the car a total go-cart.

Originally Posted by LexVan
Get the new Cup R that just broke a record on the new RS.
Can't find them or even the new GT3 Cup 2 tires.

Originally Posted by parkerfe
After ~8800 miles and 5 track events, I replaced the Dunlop Maxx Race on my GT3 with Michelin PS4S tires. I have done one track event with the new PS4S tires so far and they were fine for my limited skill. Plus, they are much quieter with more wet grip on the street.
Thanks for the feedback!

Originally Posted by SCCAForums
PS4S if you are only doing 2 or so track days a year... more than that... and I recommend PS4S for the street, and get a 'track set' of wheels/tires (Cup 2s).

Best Regards,
Dave
Thanks Dave!

Originally Posted by _fletch
You will not feel any difference in responsiveness because there physically is (almost) no difference. The contact patches with the road either have traction or they do not. In dry conditions the sticky mixed-compound tires will maintain traction longer under more load than the harder compounds as well as regain traction quicker if it's lost. Unless you are exceeding the traction limits of the harder compounds there will be zero discernable difference between the two. They will feel identical.

Hope that answers your original question!
Thanks for the feedback. I am going to test that theory this year! :-)

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
I don't have any experience with the Cup 2s or MPS4S yet but I ended up with the Dunlops on my .2 GT3 and I will say that I was pleasantly surprised by the tires, expecting them to be much harsher, louder, and more frisky in the wet. I took the Dunlops through just about every weather condition I could think of, and I agree with your assessment of the Dunlops (at least compared to P-Zero on my C4). They are very sticky, not bad in the rain unless you get on throttle to soon and too hard, and warm up fairly quickly. Road/tire noise is not that bad for my ears. I don't know how similar or different the Dunlops are to the Cup 2s, but I initially thought I struck out not getting the Michelin's and ended up really happy with the Dunlops so far.
The Dunlops are really good tires. For street-only driving I would rank them above the Cup 2's. The car has crazy traction with them. One time I grabbed the wheel and turned it as hard as I could into a sharp turn. Not even a squeak out of the Dunlops. The same move on the Cup 2's and the rear steps out. The Cup 2's are the ideal track tire. The Dunlops are better for the street, especially if you want to occasionally throw it into the twisties, but not 9/10th's the entire time.

Originally Posted by Chris3963
There is a lot of brand bias on this forum for michelin cup tyres. I ran two days at Spa with a CUPS on my winged GT3 and Dunlop’s on my Touring and noticed no notable difference between the grip levels of the two tyres.
Absolutely nothing wrong with the Dunlops. But they are $400-500 more than the Cup 2's, which is a factor.

Originally Posted by PwAg
On a faithfully departed 7.2GT3, ran PS for street. Track: Rotated 2nd set of oem wheel and BBS e88's wrapped with Hoosiers/Trofeo/SC's for track. Would do same all over. Was often caught in afternoon CO t-storms on surface streets, feel PS came in handy.
There are those days!
Old 04-23-2018, 04:46 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Thanks again for the feedback, guys. Going to order the PS4S and see how they do.

Quick Reply: Which tire for my GT3