Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which tire for my GT3

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2017 | 03:45 PM
Keawn
Intermediate

Default Which tire for my GT3

The tires on my GT3 need to be replaced, lasted for about 12500 miles, with 2 track days on them. It came with the Dunlop Sport maxx. Should I stick with the same tire or try something else such as the Pilot Sport Cup? Or is there any other tires you would recommend? I do plan on taking it to the track again. My car has standard brakes not ceramics.
Old 10-10-2017 | 04:04 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Wow! I've never had tires on a GT car last that long.
If they worked for you, I'd stick with the same ones.
Old 10-10-2017 | 04:07 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Sport Cups, Pilot Sport 4S (depending on climate and ratio of track to road use), or maybe the new Corsas...
Old 10-10-2017 | 04:35 PM
Keawn
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
Wow! I've never had tires on a GT car last that long.
If they worked for you, I'd stick with the same ones.
Yeah I am surprised how long they lasted. They are also good on the track.
Old 10-10-2017 | 04:36 PM
Keawn
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
Sport Cups, Pilot Sport 4S (depending on climate and ratio of track to road use), or maybe the new Corsas...

Thanks!
Old 10-10-2017 | 05:14 PM
DMoore
Pro

My GT3 came with the Dunlop Sport Maxx race tires. After 3000 miles (including track time) they were toast. Since then I've gotten much better mileage (with track days) from the Michelin Sport Cup 2's.

But if I didn't track the car at all, I'd go with the Pilot Sport 4S tires. Better mileage from the tire, better in the wet - a better street tire. Both the Maxx Race and Sport Cup 2's are really more track than street oriented. I would suspect the same of the new Pirelli Corsa's. And the Pirelli Trofeo R shouldn't even enter the conversation for the street.

My advice is unequivocal - if you're not going back to the track, get the Michelin 4S. I had several sets of the Pilot Sports or previous 911's, and they were great. From all accounts the 4S is even better.

DMoore
'15 GT3
Old 10-10-2017 | 08:31 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DMoore
My GT3 came with the Dunlop Sport Maxx race tires. After 3000 miles (including track time) they were toast. Since then I've gotten much better mileage (with track days) from the Michelin Sport Cup 2's.

But if I didn't track the car at all, I'd go with the Pilot Sport 4S tires. Better mileage from the tire, better in the wet - a better street tire. Both the Maxx Race and Sport Cup 2's are really more track than street oriented. I would suspect the same of the new Pirelli Corsa's. And the Pirelli Trofeo R shouldn't even enter the conversation for the street.

My advice is unequivocal - if you're not going back to the track, get the Michelin 4S. I had several sets of the Pilot Sports or previous 911's, and they were great. From all accounts the 4S is even better.

DMoore
'15 GT3
+1 the MP4S is def the best ultra high perf street tire in the market today, unless you plan to track (and care about the max perf extracted) or your climate is predominantly rainless
I would mount that in preference to either the MPSC2s or the
new Corsas ... I have no experience on DMaxx so I cant comment on its relative perf to either of those...
Old 10-10-2017 | 10:52 PM
Keawn
Intermediate

Thanks for all your suggestions. Looks like the MP4S seems to be a good all around tire. My other question is if I went with the Sport Cup 2, can I get the latest version that comes on the 991.2 GT3?
Old 10-11-2017 | 03:19 PM
DMoore
Pro

Originally Posted by Keawn
Thanks for all your suggestions. Looks like the MP4S seems to be a good all around tire. My other question is if I went with the Sport Cup 2, can I get the latest version that comes on the 991.2 GT3?
Is there a new version for the 991.2? Tire Rack still shows only the N0 version, which came on the 991.2. I know there is now an N1 version for the GT3RS, but that's a different size tire. If there's an N1 version coming, I wouldn't expect anyone to have any in stock just yet.

But seriously, if you're never going to track the car I don't see the point of the PSC2. The limits of the S4 so greatly exceed anything you could ever do on a public road that the only benefit to the PSC2 (besides reduced mileage and higher price ;-)) would be wasted.

DMoore
'15 GT3
Old 10-11-2017 | 03:29 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Is there a new version for the 991.2? Tire Rack still shows only the N0 version, which came on the 991.2. I know there is now an N1 version for the GT3RS, but that's a different size tire. If there's an N1 version coming, I wouldn't expect anyone to have any in stock just yet.

But seriously, if you're never going to track the car I don't see the point of the PSC2. The limits of the S4 so greatly exceed anything you could ever do on a public road that the only benefit to the PSC2 (besides reduced mileage and higher price ;-)) would be wasted.

DMoore
'15 GT3
+1
Old 10-11-2017 | 04:33 PM
LAGinz
Pro

Is it really correct that there is no reason to have the Cups if you don't track? The Cups have excellent turn in characteristics, which I think can be appreciated a lot in the twisties. Im wondering if the PS2 or 4S, assuming they have less stiff sidewalls, would perform as well, in this regard.
Old 10-11-2017 | 04:45 PM
DMoore
Pro

Originally Posted by LAGinz
Is it really correct that there is no reason to have the Cups if you don't track? The Cups have excellent turn in characteristics, which I think can be appreciated a lot in the twisties. Im wondering if the PS2 or 4S, assuming they have less stiff sidewalls, would perform as well, in this regard.
I've done a lot of mountain driving, and a lot of track and autocross driving as well. I concede that the PSC2 will ultimately have higher limits that the PS4, BUT you'll never get there on a public road.

I would find the tradeoff unacceptable. I'd much prefer having better wet weather capability and longer tire life over the small and mostly unusable improvement with the PSC2.

Having said that, I've driven PSC2's exclusively since I trashed my OEM Dunlops. But I also drive 10+ autocross and 5-10 track days per year.

Given the realities of traffic and law enforcement, I can't drive my GT3 any faster in the mountains that I did my previous 991S that was on Pilot Super Sports. You just can't appreciate a tire like the PSC2, or Pirelli Corsa or Trofeo R on the street.

Not if you want to stay out of jail!

DMoore
'15 GT3
Old 10-12-2017 | 01:36 AM
Keawn
Intermediate

I've done a lot of mountain driving, and a lot of track and autocross driving as well. I concede that the PSC2 will ultimately have higher limits that the PS4, BUT you'll never get there on a public road.

I would find the tradeoff unacceptable. I'd much prefer having better wet weather capability and longer tire life over the small and mostly unusable improvement with the PSC2.

Having said that, I've driven PSC2's exclusively since I trashed my OEM Dunlops. But I also drive 10+ autocross and 5-10 track days per year.

Given the realities of traffic and law enforcement, I can't drive my GT3 any faster in the mountains that I did my previous 991S that was on Pilot Super Sports. You just can't appreciate a tire like the PSC2, or Pirelli Corsa or Trofeo R on the street.

DMoore
'15 GT3

You bring up some great points, as I said earlier looks like I will go with the 4S. The problem I had with my Dunlops, is that in cold weather with the tires cold, I have almost lost the rear end of my car, It just snapped on me.
Old 10-12-2017 | 03:22 AM
LAGinz
Pro

DMoore
'15 GT3
I hear what you are saying, but I don't think you really answered my concern. You don't have to be driving at the limits to appreciate better turn in characteristics. It's not a question of how absolutely fast you can go through the twisties, but rather how responsive the car feels in the turns with the different types of tires.
The following users liked this post:
Porsche-Suchtig (02-03-2021)
Old 10-12-2017 | 01:26 PM
Mr. Turtles
Pro

Another +1 for the PS4 if not tracking regularly. I've run both PS4 and MPSC2 on street and track many times. MPSC2 definitely better on track but not a big difference in dry weather on street. If it gets wet or cool you will really appreciate the PS4's on the street. Tread life also much better on PS4's.
The following users liked this post:
Porsche-Suchtig (02-03-2021)

Quick Reply: Which tire for my GT3