Road and Track: Performance Car of the Year

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 04:24 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,258 Likes on 663 Posts

Originally Posted by randr
I own both NA and turbocharged Porsche Sports cars

The 488 is indeed a great drivers car, I don't think you'll find many dissenting opinions on that and the 991.2 GTS is quicker than all previous GT cars - its a fact.

If you don't like that, thats your problem and not mine.

You can get enjoyment from all sorts of cars. Cars are like people, they are multifaceted in their character and thus deliver a range of experiences.

Chris is absolute proof of the pudding - the AMG GT R is an exceptional performance car, likewise the M2 at its price point and thus delivers great bang for buck. The Honda Civic Type R is also a brilliant drivers car - theres a lot of good engineering that removes torque steer (not just a LSD).

Besides, non of this changes the result of the Road and Track PCOTY

Looking forward to driving on the clock, a 997 Cup next weekend back to back with a turbocharged grocery getting Porsche

Drifting - I suggest you play the ball and not the man.
Glad to hear you own some NA sports cars as well. I don't care about which car was crowned by some particular magazine as that doesn't influence my spending habits.

I agree the 488 is a fine sports car and I"m happy for those who enjoy it. I prefer a 458, but I"m not going to disparage someone else's 488.

And that is the point of my original comment. I've been spending time on the 991 forum in addition to this one as I"m considering a 991 cabriolet to complement the GT3 and on that board you demonstrated the same repeated habit of telling all the 991.1 owners that their cars were woefully inferior to your mighty 991.2 turbo GTS, and now you're on a forum devoted to NA GT sports cars and trash talking the car that half of us own on this forum.

Talking about how much you love your turbos is a different thing from seeking every opportunity to trash talk NA Porsche cars on both forums. It demonstrates a lack of tact and class, that usually is present in someone successful enough to purchase these fine automobiles.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:06 AM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 621 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
Glad to hear you own some NA sports cars as well. I don't care about which car was crowned by some particular magazine as that doesn't influence my spending habits.

I agree the 488 is a fine sports car and I"m happy for those who enjoy it. I prefer a 458, but I"m not going to disparage someone else's 488.

And that is the point of my original comment. I've been spending time on the 991 forum in addition to this one as I"m considering a 991 cabriolet to complement the GT3 and on that board you demonstrated the same repeated habit of telling all the 991.1 owners that their cars were woefully inferior to your mighty 991.2 turbo GTS, and now you're on a forum devoted to NA GT sports cars and trash talking the car that half of us own on this forum.

Talking about how much you love your turbos is a different thing from seeking every opportunity to trash talk NA Porsche cars on both forums. It demonstrates a lack of tact and class, that usually is present in someone successful enough to purchase these fine automobiles.
I also am considering a base Cab 7 speed for my daily!!! Have a new M3 right now which I love but might go a diff route.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:34 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,379 Likes on 4,999 Posts

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
I also am considering a base Cab 7 speed for my daily!!! Have a new M3 right now which I love but might go a diff route.
Y'know, for a daily, unless you need the backseats for storage/extra space, I think I would opt for a 718 Boxster S. Currently driving around now (as a loaner from the dealer) and it's quite fun and for a daily, more enjoyable than a 911 Cab in my opinion -- a bit lighter, a bit more balanced, and feels quicker off the line (even tho I know it isn't).
Old 11-08-2017, 02:28 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,258 Likes on 663 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Y'know, for a daily, unless you need the backseats for storage/extra space, I think I would opt for a 718 Boxster S. Currently driving around now (as a loaner from the dealer) and it's quite fun and for a daily, more enjoyable than a 911 Cab in my opinion -- a bit lighter, a bit more balanced, and feels quicker off the line (even tho I know it isn't).
Agree. I was perusing the boxster forums too. I think the best combo for me would be a boxster + GT3. I loved my previous 987 Boxster S.
Old 11-10-2017, 02:34 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,032 Likes on 572 Posts

Agree. I was perusing the boxster forums too. I think the best combo for me would be a boxster + GT3. I loved my previous 987 Boxster S.
Well damn man I can get you a Boxster lol
Old 11-10-2017, 04:30 AM
randr
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

And again, you continue to play the man and not the ball.

The McLaren won this test because of its all round capabilities in a subjective vote.

Once again, I simultaneously own current Porsche NA and turbocharged sports cars - its allows a dual perspective. Unlike you I can appreciate all sides but will always state my case without fear or favour, I don't care for class or tact. They are an artificial constructs, which by playing the man and not the ball marks you clearly for what you are.

You are in a thread discussing the Road and Track PCOTY. A largely subjective review that found the McLaren 720S the R and T PCOTY. A decision, I think you'll find many open minded car enthusiasts would endorse.

What clearly irks you is the simple fact that others disagree with your narrow view of the world and are prepared to articulate a reasoned dissenting opinion backed by facts, numbers and analysis.

Last edited by randr; 11-10-2017 at 07:04 AM.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:34 AM
Hex
Pro

Received 96 Likes on 54 Posts
Default ARBs?

Originally Posted by Apolo1
I found same with PDK GT3.2 on track with stock settings. Front does not like to hook up when a 10/10s. Ended up standing on the brake a lot later to get the front end to turn in. This just unsettled the back end a bit in the fast corners. Have to say with ARBs adjusted a bit of camber front and rear, transform's the car. If on Cups N1s, 2 bar all round when hot makes a big difference to front end grip/ turn in.
Please define ARBs.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:50 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,032 Likes on 572 Posts

Originally Posted by Hex
Please define ARBs.
Anti roll bar
Old 11-10-2017, 11:55 AM
Hex
Pro

Received 96 Likes on 54 Posts
Default ARBs?

Thanks CJ. By the way, I,m picking up my GT3 next week and I am wondering if I can bring her to your dealership for some set-up help.

Last edited by Hex; 11-10-2017 at 12:14 PM.
Old 11-10-2017, 03:51 PM
Apolo1
Pro

Received 349 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Hex
Thanks CJ. By the way, I,m picking up my GT3 next week and I am wondering if I can bring her to your dealership for some set-up help.
Hi

Try this, completely transforms the front end and rear now feels as planted as 91RS.

Front ride height (-15mm)
Rear ride height (-12mm)
Front bar (mid)
Rear bar (stiff)
Front camber (-2.45)
Rear camber (-2.15)
Front toe (+1.5mm per side)
Rear toe (-2.0mm per side)
Old 11-10-2017, 03:55 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,896 Likes on 2,776 Posts

Hi

Try this, completely transforms the front end and rear now feels as planted as 91RS.

Rear ride height (-12mm)
Front bar (mid)
Rear bar (stiff)
Front camber (-2.45)
Rear camber (-2.15)
Thanks for info! I assume your camber specs are actually -2 degrees, 45 minutes (or -2.75 degrees) Front and -2 degrees, 15 minutes (or -2.25 degrees) Rear?
Old 11-10-2017, 05:34 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 101 Posts

Hi

Rear ride height (-12mm)
Front bar (mid)
Rear bar (stiff)
Front camber (-2.45)
Rear camber (-2.15)
Nice, thanks. Makes sense, toe-out up front gives you electric turn-in, but tightens the car up from mid-corner out, hence the rear grip you feel.

I typically like to add more front camber instead of using toe-out, as it feels more predictable to me.

Look forward to playing with alignment myself.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:49 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Maybe a Dumb question, but which of these alignment changes gives you a compromise between increased feel at normal road speeds (sub 100mph for argument sake) while not creating uneven tire wear? Are the stock settings the only way to get any sort of tire longevity? Thanks
Old 11-10-2017, 10:22 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,616 Likes on 749 Posts

I think my setup was ideal for both.
Old 11-11-2017, 12:58 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by randr
And again, you continue to play the man and not the ball.

The McLaren won this test because of its all round capabilities in a subjective vote.

Once again, I simultaneously own current Porsche NA and turbocharged sports cars - its allows a dual perspective. Unlike you I can appreciate all sides but will always state my case without fear or favour, I don't care for class or tact. They are an artificial constructs, which by playing the man and not the ball marks you clearly for what you are.

You are in a thread discussing the Road and Track PCOTY. A largely subjective review that found the McLaren 720S the R and T PCOTY. A decision, I think you'll find many open minded car enthusiasts would endorse.

What clearly irks you is the simple fact that others disagree with your narrow view of the world and are prepared to articulate a reasoned dissenting opinion backed by facts, numbers and analysis.
The idea that your dissenting opinion is based on "facts, numbers and analysis" is laughable.

"I simultaneously own current Porsche NA and turbocharged sports cars - its allows a dual perspective."

Yes; because if you don't actually purchase the cars you don't like and only test drive them instead you can't have a dual perspective right?

The 488 and fart-can .2 GTS are depreciating as fast as a rock falls. The 488 and .2 GTS were the best thing to ever happen to 458 and .1 GTS owners. The fact you'd compare them with the 720S, a car that shares the basic engine design of a P1, just because they all three have turbos is actually laughable. Let me know when you get your 720S; otherwise please talk about your cars that every Tom, Dick, and Harry can order to their spec today in the proper forum.

Quick Reply: Road and Track: Performance Car of the Year