Sponsored by:

Road and Track: Performance Car of the Year

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 04:31 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,258 Likes on 663 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris3963
I did not get any impression that randr was preaching. Just stating some facts, mixed with opinion...which he is entitled to do.

Your inference that you cannot have fun in a Turbo car and, if you do, you are some kind of non-purist driving moron, is simply not true.

Being one of the very few on this forum who actually have both a AMG GTR and a GT3.2, I can tell you that both are fun and "pure" to drive in different ways. Just as the GT2 will be different...and it's a turbo too.

Indeed, around town and normal speeds, I have more fun in my M2 than I have in either the GT3 or the GTR. Each car delivers fun, thrills and driving pleasure in completely different situation....which is a good thing.
The difference Chris is that we know you enjoy your different cars and you freely state the pros and cons of all your various cars, and your posts are always appreciated.

Randr cross posts across multiple rennlist forum sections always preaching about how great is the 488 compared to the 458 and that his 991.2 carrera GTS is a better car in every way compared to all other previous 911 variants including 991 GT cars.

He’s like a turbo evangelist, always preaching, and always looking for any opportunity to put down 991 NA GT cars, so I’m not sure why he comes this particular forum in rennlist which is dedicated exclusively to NA Porsche GT cars.
Old 11-06-2017, 04:35 AM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,088 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij
I get his point, but I weep for the death of superchargers as much or mores than the impending death of NA. They give the performance advantage of turbos without the lag (or the fuel economy which is why there are very few left). I wish we could get the lotus Exige 380 in the US. That ticks the non-turbo, manual, lightweight boxes. 2350lbs .... I wonder how it would have done in the test.

I miss my lotus. Those were so much fun to drive. Too bad they don’t import the elige anymore. With nannies like I think they have now they would be perfect. The sound of the blower whine and the 2zz at 8700 rpm was transcendental. Sometimes I put the windows down in the Jag so I can hear the whine, but it’s just not the same. Sounds great with the V8, but not the same.
Interesting you should say that. When I was at Paul Ricard last week, one guy brought along his Lotus 311 Road version. 410hp from a supercharged Toyota engine. I expected it to blow the GT3s off the track but, to be honest, it was all that much quicker, if at all. Looked fantastic though.
Old 11-06-2017, 05:17 AM
randr
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris3963
I did not get any impression that randr was preaching. Just stating some facts, mixed with opinion...which he is entitled to do.

Your inference that you cannot have fun in a Turbo car and, if you do, you are some kind of non-purist driving moron, is simply not true.

Being one of the very few on this forum who actually have both a AMG GTR and a GT3.2, I can tell you that both are fun and "pure" to drive in different ways. Just as the GT2 will be different...and it's a turbo too.

Indeed, around town and normal speeds, I have more fun in my M2 than I have in either the GT3 or the GTR. Each car delivers fun, thrills and driving pleasure in completely different situation....which is a good thing.
Very much agree, there are many paths to enjoyment
Old 11-06-2017, 08:36 AM
Apolo1
Pro

Received 349 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Pzkw993
Thanks for reading, everybody.

A little bit of inside information for the Rennlisters... I absolutely HATED the alignment settings on the GT3 we got for testing. The nose was very unhappy under braking and that's what cost it the lap time.
I found same with PDK GT3.2 on track with stock settings. Front does not like to hook up when a 10/10s. Ended up standing on the brake a lot later to get the front end to turn in. This just unsettled the back end a bit in the fast corners. Have to say with ARBs adjusted a bit of camber front and rear, transform's the car. If on Cups N1s, 2 bar all round when hot makes a big difference to front end grip/ turn in.
Old 11-06-2017, 07:07 PM
randr
Banned

Originally Posted by Drifting
The difference Chris is that we know you enjoy your different cars and you freely state the pros and cons of all your various cars, and your posts are always appreciated.

Randr cross posts across multiple rennlist forum sections always preaching about how great is the 488 compared to the 458 and that his 991.2 carrera GTS is a better car in every way compared to all other previous 911 variants including 991 GT cars.

He’s like a turbo evangelist, always preaching, and always looking for any opportunity to put down 991 NA GT cars, so I’m not sure why he comes this particular forum in rennlist which is dedicated exclusively to NA Porsche GT cars.
I own both NA and turbocharged Porsche Sports cars

The 488 is indeed a great drivers car, I don't think you'll find many dissenting opinions on that and the 991.2 GTS is quicker than all previous GT cars - its a fact.

If you don't like that, thats your problem and not mine.

You can get enjoyment from all sorts of cars. Cars are like people, they are multifaceted in their character and thus deliver a range of experiences.

Chris is absolute proof of the pudding - the AMG GT R is an exceptional performance car, likewise the M2 at its price point and thus delivers great bang for buck. The Honda Civic Type R is also a brilliant drivers car - theres a lot of good engineering that removes torque steer (not just a LSD).

Besides, non of this changes the result of the Road and Track PCOTY

Looking forward to driving on the clock, a 997 Cup next weekend back to back with a turbocharged grocery getting Porsche

Drifting - I suggest you play the ball and not the man.

Last edited by randr; 11-06-2017 at 07:28 PM.
Old 11-07-2017, 03:56 PM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Ah this is interesting to read !
I also noticed my car is very squirrely under hard braking and inconsistent in cornering behavior if you are going for it.

Furthermore - and I wonder if you guys notice that too because no one seems to mention it - I have a very small magic window with the tire temps. Get them them up to temp, and then its about 1 maybe 2 magic laps and things allready start to overheat. I played around with the pressures quite a bit, but no success yet. I wonder if that is related to the fore-mentioned too.

Originally Posted by Pzkw993
I absolutely HATED the alignment settings on the GT3 we got for testing. The nose was very unhappy under braking and that's what cost it the lap time vs. the Camaro.
Originally Posted by Footsoldier
Friend with a .2GT3 says the same thing - doesn't like it on track as nose moves around too much, and can't get it settled for turn-in and then through corner.
Originally Posted by Drifting
Will be interested to see what settings people like orthojoe end up recommending for the .2 GT3.
Originally Posted by Apolo1
I found same with PDK GT3.2 on track with stock settings. Front does not like to hook up when a 10/10s. Ended up standing on the brake a lot later to get the front end to turn in. This just unsettled the back end a bit in the fast corners. Have to say with ARBs adjusted a bit of camber front and rear, transform's the car. If on Cups N1s, 2 bar all round when hot makes a big difference to front end grip/ turn in.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:23 PM
randr
Banned

Well, the only way anyone will understand if alignment is an issue is if they have a before and after done - then post the result. The factory settings should be as follows:

Front: toe = 0.04 camber = -1.27
Rear: toe = 0.24, camber = -1.27 (thrust angle zero)

And for tire pressures (see Michelin)

Switch chrono on and log the car - it gives you all the information you need to work out whats going on (download via phone or USB)
Old 11-07-2017, 09:36 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,616 Likes on 749 Posts

I met up with the Michelin people a few times with my car at Spa, Paul Ricard and Hockenheim.
They all agreed 29/30F and 31/33R is the best and fastest setup.

Looks like the lawyers got a hold of the Michelin recommendation as well as the idiot calibration that doesn’t allow you to set tire pressures under 26PSI cold. Royal PITA.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:55 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 617 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I met up with the Michelin people a few times with my car at Spa, Paul Ricard and Hockenheim.
They all agreed 29/30F and 31/33R is the best and fastest setup.

Looks like the lawyers got a hold of the Michelin recommendation as well as the idiot calibration that doesn’t allow you to set tire pressures under 26PSI cold. Royal PITA.
That and the horrible programming of first rounding to 0.1 bar, and then converting and rounding to psi, resulting in big quantization errors.

Last edited by Mech33; 11-08-2017 at 04:31 AM.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:01 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Yes, it’s cruse but it does always agree within .5 PSI of my $5.00 tire gauge.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:16 AM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 626 Likes on 413 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Been meaning to post this. Miracle of miracles at a recent track day I bled down to 25 front cold and didn’t get the TPMS error.
Attached Images  
Old 11-08-2017, 01:22 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Once you set it in Circuit mode and carefully confirm Circuit mode every time you start it, it will “hold” even under 26 PSI. But to make it work, you just first set it above 26 PSI.

If you accidentally drive off between sessions and you don’t first confirm circuit mode, you have to start over. Either put air in or do a warmup lap and come into the pit.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:29 AM
signes
Rennlist Member

Odd thing was I drove from my spot to the grid and forgot to set it to circuit until I got there. Maybe it didn’t register for the short trip. Each other time I wound up with the error since it dipped below and presumably since I didn’t get circuit set quickly enough.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:33 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Maybe they didn’t drop until after you set it?
Or it’s inacuracu as mech33 said.

Sometimes it displays 26 but when I go set it, it jumps to 25PSI and want set.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:41 AM
signes
Rennlist Member

Good point, could either that or rounding. My prior record is always just missing it then getting pissed and dealing with the goddamn lights.

Quick Reply: Road and Track: Performance Car of the Year