Sponsored by:

Rear Wheel Steering

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 06:21 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Rear Wheel Steering

I don't think I like the RWS feeling. I understand what it does. I feel some in phase/out of phase feeling in the back on my 991RS. Hard to describe but maybe some others can chime if they feel something similar. It doesn't feel natural to me the way the 997 RS does without rws.
Old 09-30-2017, 06:59 PM
SCA11
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up RWS

Originally Posted by Riz
I don't think I like the RWS feeling. I understand what it does. I feel some in phase/out of phase feeling in the back on my 991RS. Hard to describe but maybe some others can chime if they feel something similar. It doesn't feel natural to me the way the 997 RS does without rws.
You will learn to love it. It is awesome in daily driving, parking, making U-turns, sharp corners, etc.
Old 09-30-2017, 10:41 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,485 Likes on 2,270 Posts

go faster, you will love it.
i didn't like it until i really DROVE it.
Old 09-30-2017, 11:50 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 399 Likes on 226 Posts

RWS is the best thing ever, it’s transformative. You get back in a car without it and your like”whoa that’s a wide turn”
Old 10-01-2017, 02:06 AM
Mika911
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

I can't say I feel it working as such, but the benefits are clear, I.e. high speed corner stability and better turn-in (through less understeer). I do also think it adds to a degree of unpredictability of the 991 compared to the 996 and 997. The latter are easy to drive in all conditions without any ESC/TC whereas most drive the 991 with aids on. Seeing the car as a pure track tool I personally would have preferred it without, but it is incredibly clever how Porsche have made the 991 work so well on the road too. I guess that means they need to resort to electronics to achieve such a broad range of parameters.
Old 10-01-2017, 03:52 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,588 Likes on 736 Posts

Maybe my *** is number than most, but I only feel front grip.
Old 10-01-2017, 05:38 PM
Wind911
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 126 Posts

Just curious is the RWS delete kit out there? I think a member with Manthey tuned 991 RS had it done.

I'd imagine it'll involve some ECU reprogramming as well.
Old 10-01-2017, 08:18 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,733 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Maybe my *** is number than most, but I only feel front grip.
There is this weird extra step out feeling that feels like slip but it’s not. Like extra rotation you didn’t add input to get. I can def feel it on track. It’s unsettling till you realize it’s just extra turn not slip.
Old 10-02-2017, 05:19 AM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
There is this weird extra step out feeling that feels like slip but it’s not. Like extra rotation you didn’t add input to get. I can def feel it on track. It’s unsettling till you realize it’s just extra turn not slip.
Exactly…

I always thought it was like the RWS isn’t working fast enough when you’re really pushing, especially when car is loaded up at exits.

It still works, just feels strange, like an oversteer you don’t have to correct.

I think the .1RS version is the worst for this. RWS was recalibrated for R, and I’m assuming for GT3.2 and I think this feeling has gone.
Old 10-02-2017, 06:00 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Riz
Like I described in several other posts I made about my new .2GT3, after 5000km I'm still not adapted to the RWS. It just feels inconsistent. Sometimes you can almost literally feel the car wheelbase shrink and drive around a corner like a gocart, which is the great part. But another time it just does something weird, giving an floating sensation in the rear like it's going to step out on you, but you're not a a speed or lateral load where you'd expect the car to step out yet. Problem is that this seemingly inconsistent behavior makes it hard to trust the car. There is always some doubt that creeps in the back of your mind.

Haven't had it out on track yet so can't comment there ... maybe eveverything falls into place there ...
Old 10-02-2017, 06:40 AM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

There is this weird extra step out feeling that feels like slip but itÂ’s not. Like extra rotation you didnÂ’t add input to get. I can def feel it on track. ItÂ’s unsettling till you realize itÂ’s just extra turn not slip.
Same here. I can feel it on a specific corner where the entry is a breaking zone. I’m not fond of the system at all.
Old 10-02-2017, 11:20 AM
Riz
Rennlist Member

That is what I feel - a little unsettling.
Old 10-02-2017, 11:22 AM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bccars
Like I described in several other posts I made about my new .2GT3, after 5000km I'm still not adapted to the RWS. It just feels inconsistent. Sometimes you can almost literally feel the car wheelbase shrink and drive around a corner like a gocart, which is the great part. But another time it just does something weird, giving an floating sensation in the rear like it's going to step out on you, but you're not a a speed or lateral load where you'd expect the car to step out yet. Problem is that this seemingly inconsistent behavior makes it hard to trust the car. There is always some doubt that creeps in the back of your mind.

Haven't had it out on track yet so can't comment there ... maybe eveverything falls into place there ...
I totally agree - it is a matter of trust. I know what my 996 GT3 does and my 997 RS in the same situation. The RWS throws me off in the 991.
Old 10-02-2017, 01:27 PM
Sloopy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Haven't driven a RS but the GT3 is undetectable. I would imagine that I could tell if I drove the same car without it but I can feel many things in this car, however the rear wheel steering isn't one of them.

Are you sure it's the steering your feeling? I have let numerous others drive it a no one notices the RWS; even after I tell them it's there.
Old 10-02-2017, 06:52 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,588 Likes on 736 Posts

Might be on to something.

I think I feel the Ediff more then RWS.
Maybe I think it’s diff because THAT does feel unsettling for sure and it’s really RWS.
But for me it’s the Ediff that makes it weird.

It’s the whole on / off throttle/nontrailbrake *** glued down with great front grip that’s was weird initially. Even more so when I tried to force trail brake..

Soon someone can test manual VS PDK rear end feel.

Quick Reply: Rear Wheel Steering