Sport Chrono on 991.2 Manual Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 09:06 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts
Default Sport Chrono on 991.2 Manual Transmission

So with sport chrono you get the mode selector on the steering wheel, sport plus and individual as opposed to just sport on the console?

Can you configure rev matching on downshifts without sport being on with sport chrono? How about without?

I went through the threads on sport chrono but no answers for MT (which makes sense as it does not exist).

How does it work on the 911R?
Old 09-14-2017, 09:25 PM
GT3 KSA
Three Wheelin'

Received 175 Likes on 100 Posts

On GT3, GT3 RS, R, Touring and also GT2 RS all whether on a pdk or manual car you don't get the mode select on the steering wheel. Actually you don't need chrono for the modes as there is only normal mode and sport mode, which is activated by a button on the console

For manual once you engage sport mode it will rev match for you but if you remove TC even with Sport mode on then it won't rev match for you anymore unless they changed that recently

Basically the chrono is just a clock / timer and i think works with the app. Many here find it an option that is useless since mostly everyone prefers harry's laptimer
Old 09-14-2017, 09:36 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

So the configurator is just wrong?

The Sport Chrono Package adds numerous features for sport-oriented drivers:

Analog and digital chronograph – a chronometer installed on top of the dashboard can be used for timing laps, and can be configured as a clock when not actively used as a stopwatch

Mode switch on the steering wheel – vehicles without the Sport Chrono Package feature Normal and Sport modes, selectable via a SPORT button on the center console. Adding the Sport Chrono Package moves the SPORT button from the center console to an additional mode switch on the steering wheel, allowing drivers to select from multiple drive modes (4 with M/T, 5 with PDK):
Normal mode
SPORT mode
SPORT PLUS mode
Individual mode
SPORT Response (only in conjunction with PDK)

PSM Sport mode – briefly pressing (< 1 second) the PSM button in the center console activates the PSM Sport mode. In this mode, the driver can push closer to the limit range of the vehicle while PSM remains constantly active in the background. PSM Sport mode can be activated independently of the selected driving mode

Launch control – the launch control function manages the engine, gearbox, and stability control systems to provide the quickest standing-start acceleration. This function is only available on vehicles equipped with the PDK gearbox

Rev-match function – in conjunction with Manual Transmission, the SportChrono package provides a rev-match function in both SPORT and SPORT PLUS modes, matching engine RPM to transmission speed for smooth downshifts

Porsche Active Driveline Mounts – In Normal mode, magnetorheological driveline mounts remain soft to minimize perceptible vibration of the drivetrain. With SPORT mode switched on, the mounts stiffen for driveline dynamics suiting a sporty driving style. With SPORT PLUS mode switched on, driveline mounts stiffen further for maximum performance
Included in configuration
$550
Old 09-14-2017, 10:50 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 254 Posts

i'm confused as well, i thought it was just a clock on the GT3 but when they added the touring package they added a sport chrono option listed above. AND the description suggests it doesn't come with rev-matching without it..

Before the Touring option was added Sport Chrono wasn't an option i don't think..
Old 09-14-2017, 10:56 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 326 Posts

Looks like somebody screwed up. Maybe when they added the touring options. The GT3 just has one engine map, it's always on speed. Not like the non GT cars that need modes.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:02 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,610 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3 KSA
On GT3, GT3 RS, R, Touring and also GT2 RS all whether on a pdk or manual car you don't get the mode select on the steering wheel. Actually you don't need chrono for the modes as there is only normal mode and sport mode, which is activated by a button on the console

For manual once you engage sport mode it will rev match for you but if you remove TC even with Sport mode on then it won't rev match for you anymore unless they changed that recently

Basically the chrono is just a clock / timer and i think works with the app. Many here find it an option that is useless since mostly everyone prefers harry's laptimer
interesting, I wonder why they decided to do that?
Old 09-15-2017, 01:48 AM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

If you can have rev matching off with sport mode and tc off thats perfect! i would rather have it permanently disabled. its a manual!!!!!
Old 09-15-2017, 05:18 AM
GT3 KSA
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
interesting, I wonder why they decided to do that?
Originally Posted by carrering
If you can have rev matching off with sport mode and tc off thats perfect! i would rather have it permanently disabled. its a manual!!!!!
That is how it was in my manual 911 50 this is why i said should be the same unless they changed something recently, anyone with a manual GT3, GT4 or R should be able to confirm this
Old 09-15-2017, 08:00 AM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That is how it was in my manual 911 50 this is why i said should be the same unless they changed something recently, anyone with a manual GT3, GT4 or R should be able to confirm this
Yes, the only thing the sport button does on an R is to switch on rev-matching. I never use it!

Chrono is separate, and only added the clock etc, no performance options, so I didn't bother with it.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:10 AM
GT3 KSA
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Footsoldier
Yes, the only thing the sport button does on an R is to switch on rev-matching. I never use it!

Chrono is separate, and only added the clock etc, no performance options, so I didn't bother with it.
Next time you drive, put it in sport turn TC off and let us know if it still rev matches for you
Old 09-15-2017, 01:42 PM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Next time you drive, put it in sport turn TC off and let us know if it still rev matches for you
ok, tomorrow.
Old 09-15-2017, 02:13 PM
GT3 KSA
Three Wheelin'

ok, tomorrow.
Thank you in advance, feel free to share pics of your beauty, you have the blue one right?
Old 09-15-2017, 03:03 PM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Yes...and because of holidays and the need for new tyres I've not driven it for 4 weeks. Major withdrawal symptoms!
Old 09-15-2017, 04:08 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

It also changes your engine mount stiffness settings, throttle mapping, (and the radiator settings?)
Old 09-15-2017, 05:34 PM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CAlexio
It also changes your engine mount stiffness settings, throttle mapping, (and the radiator settings?)
I don't think so..?

I asked about this a lot before I bought it, as didn't want to have to use auto-blipping just to get sport mode benefits.

Quick Reply: Sport Chrono on 991.2 Manual Transmission