Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How will the suspension set up be in the GT3T compared with the 911R?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 10:45 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by sechsgang
100 percent. And I love my GTS but it's definitely not a GT car. Though honestly the sport cup 2s make a HUGE difference in that, but still not the same running gear.
Hadn't accepted for that.

Originally Posted by jlee504
I keep seeing conflicting reports of the suspension being the same and some say it's not the same and it's slightly softer. Has anyone found anything official?
Softer is better in a road car. My ACR with 1200# springs rides better than my GT3 did...
Old 09-16-2017, 11:09 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

I keep seeing conflicting reports of the suspension being the same and some say it's not the same and it's slightly softer. Has anyone found anything official?
It is a cosmetic option package, not a separate model. There is no mention of suspension changes in the press release, nor is there on the Porsche website.
Old 09-17-2017, 01:50 PM
991gtR
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

seems like alot of people have no idea what they're talking about. but its very entertaining to read. keep it up folks we starting to become ferrarichat.... im sure thats a compliment to most now XD ... keep thinking the porsche salesmen knows what there talking about ... and don't dare drive them hard....
Old 09-17-2017, 03:25 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

Agreed. There is so much blatant supposition, someone comes up with a theory they dreamed up and there are vague follow-up confirmations and suddenly the 911 touring is almost confirmed as having air suspension.
Old 09-18-2017, 01:51 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,026 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Agreed. There is so much blatant supposition, someone comes up with a theory they dreamed up and there are vague follow-up confirmations and suddenly the 911 touring is almost confirmed as having air suspension.
It's also actually going to be MORE valuable than an R as well. If you guys didn't know....also, it could POSSIBLY have a 12k rpm redline and stitching that is vastly superior to anything created before it.
Old 09-18-2017, 02:37 AM
Oldmxnut
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 79 Posts

According to all reports its GT3.2 everywhere except managing the dynamics of no wing, different diffuser (compared to R) and short front lip. Apparently "faster" then the manual in the standard gt3.. then add this comment from EVO...

As a result of the aero changes there is less downforce produced, but there’s less drag too, with Touring Pack equipped GT3s quicker than a manual GT3 with the standard body. Cars fitted with the Touring Pack also require their ECUs to be reworked and this requires GT3s ordered with the Touring Pack to have a different wiring loom fitted. It’s one reason why existing GT3s can’t be retro-fitted with the Touring Pack.

So no retro fits, but Im thinking different areo will contribute to a different feel on the road (assuming exact same suspension), so may be closer to feeling like an R and less like a GT3. Being that I expect areo to create a more planted feel to a car, as its what its designed to do !
Old 09-18-2017, 06:56 AM
randr
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

From a logical point of view the suspension will be the same as the GT3 but with a different state of tune to account for different levels of lift/down force.

For reference the 911R and 991.2S have the following -8kg lift front and +8kg down force rear at 200kmh (at the same speed the current GT3 generates +16kg front and +53kg rear).

Last edited by randr; 09-18-2017 at 07:46 AM.
Old 09-18-2017, 12:48 PM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by randr
From a logical point of view the suspension will be the same as the GT3 but with a different state of tune to account for different levels of lift/down force.

For reference the 911R and 991.2S have the following -8kg lift front and +8kg down force rear at 200kmh (at the same speed the current GT3 generates +16kg front and +53kg rear).
So, totally immaterial levels of downforce for road driving!
Road car wings are generally just bling, IMO
Old 09-18-2017, 12:53 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Footsoldier
So, totally immaterial levels of downforce for road driving!
Road car wings are generally just bling, IMO
So so true, which is why every time I read about someone swearing they "feel the downforce" On public roads I think of how easily persuaded the human imagination is... either that or they're on autobahn over 150mph...
Old 09-18-2017, 02:37 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,026 Likes on 479 Posts

So so true, which is why every time I read about someone swearing they "feel the downforce" On public roads I think of how easily persuaded the human imagination is... either that or they're on autobahn over 150mph...

This...and even on the track unless you're a real wheeler...you're not going to see that much difference btw the wing and not in lap times. And when you do you're only seeing a few tenths here and there...and I mean yeah it adds up during a race but a DE...eh, just enjoy the drive.
Old 09-18-2017, 03:30 PM
rezgui.rachid
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldmxnut
According to all reports its GT3.2 everywhere except managing the dynamics of no wing, different diffuser (compared to R) and short front lip. Apparently "faster" then the manual in the standard gt3.. then add this comment from EVO...

As a result of the aero changes there is less downforce produced, but there’s less drag too, with Touring Pack equipped GT3s quicker than a manual GT3 with the standard body. Cars fitted with the Touring Pack also require their ECUs to be reworked and this requires GT3s ordered with the Touring Pack to have a different wiring loom fitted. It’s one reason why existing GT3s can’t be retro-fitted with the Touring Pack.

So no retro fits, but Im thinking different areo will contribute to a different feel on the road (assuming exact same suspension), so may be closer to feeling like an R and less like a GT3. Being that I expect areo to create a more planted feel to a car, as its what its designed to do !

the Gt3T is 0.1 s slower to 200 than the normal. You can not be quicker with less downforce. Evo is wrong. Moreover, Drag is higher, simply because gt3 has been optimized (remember AP's interview, new tunnel...). This is also reflected in the consumption. GT3T will drink more.
Old 09-18-2017, 04:28 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

The magic gurney flap on the touring should make it stick like glue to the road as I cruise at 34mph on the back roads ....

In all seriousness, if you look at the spoiler up on a touring it goes way up. My guess is that the reason for the slightly lower touring top speed is drag from the deployed spoiler is greater than that from the fixed non-touring wing. Downforce, or rather lack of lift, should still be pretty good with the diffuser (which looks pretty big) and the deployed wing albeit at the cost of some additional drag.

I doubt the suspension is changed much if at all. I feel like they would have mentioned it. Frankly, I don't care one way or the other.
Old 09-18-2017, 04:48 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,611 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Nope, probably the only way we mere mortals will ever know is to look up the p/#'s on PET and compare the springs etc...
Old 09-18-2017, 04:50 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,611 Likes on 2,347 Posts

take your front splitter off sometime and crank it up ... you'll feel the difference a little lip can make!
Old 09-19-2017, 09:33 AM
Dante
Racer

Received 156 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
R is widely regarded as one of if not the greatest Porsche road cars in recent memory. My question is how will the suspension in the new car compare? Will they feel nearly identical from the driver's seat??

Jim
suspension set up is the least significant part of the R experience.

R is special because it is light and agile and it feels even lighter thanks to specific set up of steering, 4ws software and brake servo; everything is made to be immediately "available" and not to guarantee consistency of commands and stability at ultra high speed like on a GT3 driven on track.

the response to driver's input is amazing

regarding suspension, GT3 mk2 has a softer standard setting than mk1...so it could be really close to the R (which was even too soft for my taste in pasm standard mode just to say..)

GT3 Touring...who knows? it should be same as GT3 but...as already underlined it requires a different ECU and Touring is not retro-fittable...so may be something else changes and Porsche didn't want to disclose it.

Being manual only let presume that is less track oriented than GT3 so probably it inherited something more from the R to be enjoyable even on the road.

De facto it really looks like a mk2 R...would like to drive one to understand

Quick Reply: How will the suspension set up be in the GT3T compared with the 911R?