Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What car protection have you had on a recent or upcoming GT purchase?
Wax/sealant/coating
5.56%
Paint Correction + wax/sealant/coating
4.17%
Clear bra + wax/sealant/coating
40.28%
Paint correction + clear bra + wax/sealant/coating
36.11%
Nothing
13.89%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: New Car Protection

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 05:20 PM
mass27
Burning Brakes

Received 282 Likes on 120 Posts

I hope the clear coat isn't removed during paint correction.
Old 09-14-2017, 05:26 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

'Paint correction' is a relatively new term for cutting the paint (clearcoat), which is removing a significant part of it. Once that is done, yes, polishing comes next to bring out the shine after the abrasive compounds are used.

Last edited by Alan Smithee; 09-14-2017 at 05:41 PM.
Old 09-14-2017, 05:28 PM
mass27
Burning Brakes

Received 282 Likes on 120 Posts

^ Gotcha - thanks.
Old 09-14-2017, 05:32 PM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Received 408 Likes on 159 Posts

Is there a non-aggressive polish (not sure if that's the right term) for removing minor swirl marks by hand buffing prior to getting the clear bra installed? I don't mind taking delivery, gently washing, clay bar, and then buff by hand any swirl marks before dropping it off at the clear bra installer.

Both of the clear bra installers I've been in contact wash, then clay bar, then wipe the car with alcohol prior to installation.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:30 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by levd
You poll should include "clear bra only".
Mine was 'detail' and clear bra only. Suntek installed locally.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:54 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by manitou202
Is there a non-aggressive polish (not sure if that's the right term) for removing minor swirl marks by hand buffing prior to getting the clear bra installed? I don't mind taking delivery, gently washing, clay bar, and then buff by hand any swirl marks before dropping it off at the clear bra installer.

Both of the clear bra installers I've been in contact wash, then clay bar, then wipe the car with alcohol prior to installation.
Claying a car will induce marring, and require a light polishing. I use Menzerna micro polish and a white finishing pad.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:00 PM
PantsFire
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

If I get a GT3 Touring at some point in the future I'd have delivery to my guy for Paint Correction > Paint Protection Film > Ceramic {Pro} Coating before the dealership even touches it.
Old 09-15-2017, 12:56 PM
Sloopy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I disagree...IMO paint correction is a mistake, especially on a new car. Like doing a chemical peel on a baby. If the paint is so badly damaged that a portion of the clearcoat needs to be removed...that is what 'paint correction' is...I would refuse delivery. A proper detailing...clay, polish, and protection...followed by regular maintenance...is all a new car should need.

Removing a portion of your clearcoat should be avoided. But if you insist on 'paint correction', if the car will actually be used, it needs to have a film on it from that point on. 'Paint correction' is not something to be repeated, or you will be repainting your car.
My car looked great upon delivery. Part of this was because dealer had prepped and waxed the car. Upon first wash removing wax showed multiple bad spots in the paint.

After some research I found that Porsche looks for any blemishes in the finish and then uses fine sander to remove them. No final polishing is done. (They are finished for divivery to a price point.) If you are happy with this, then fine. If you want your $$$$$$$$$$$ car to look its best, very good paint correction is in order; and.......... you will see the difference every time you see the car.

I have done my own for years however my GT3 was professionally corrected and many hours was spent on correction alone. My guess is that you have never painted or finished before.
Old 09-15-2017, 12:59 PM
Sloopy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NJRickD
The ceramic coatings are nice & make washing a breeze, but they are supposed to be re-applied every six months. Gets pretty expensive.
I don't believe that to be the case. These coatings should last longer than that, at least 2 years, depending the product chosen[/QUOTE]

Not true. Most are guaranteed for two years or more. I have had mine now going on 3 and still like new. Car has 25K miles so not a garage queen.
Old 09-15-2017, 01:57 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill

The ceramic coatings are nice & make washing a breeze, but they are supposed to be re-applied every six months. Gets pretty expensive.
As others have said, this is not true. There are some cheap ones that are intended for 6-24 months, but most of those discussed on here are intended to be permanent, or at least very long term. I've done both and there's a huge difference.
Old 09-15-2017, 02:46 PM
Craigy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I disagree...IMO paint correction is a mistake, especially on a new car. Like doing a chemical peel on a baby. If the paint is so badly damaged that a portion of the clearcoat needs to be removed...that is what 'paint correction' is...I would refuse delivery. A proper detailing...clay, polish, and protection...followed by regular maintenance...is all a new car should need.

Removing a portion of your clearcoat should be avoided. But if you insist on 'paint correction', if the car will actually be used, it needs to have a film on it from that point on. 'Paint correction' is not something to be repeated, or you will be repainting your car.
+1

Delivery paint should be perfect enough, at least at this level. Clay, polish, wax, sure, but grinding off some clearcoat on a brand new car is at best silly, at worst needlessly giving up some of your paint.

The idea that you have to do a "paint correction" on a brand new car is just a way for a detail guy to sell you a ton of extra hours of labor.

It's also money that you will never get back upon resale.
Old 09-15-2017, 03:51 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

1:43

Old 09-15-2017, 04:48 PM
CYKBC
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

The more other people touch my car, the more I open myself to getting surprised. I don't live in a vacuum and neither do my rides.

Put 3M film on there and let me enjoy the drive. No disrespect to the hustle game of the detail industry, but I don't co-sign this whole "paint correction" and ceramic coat up-sell.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:10 PM
JFA65
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Paint correction

Five new Porsche’s, 4 new in last 10 years, 2nd 991 GT3 and have yet seen one not needing light paint correction. Look at the dealers cars carefully under light in the showroom. They do not come from the factory perfect. I do not let the dealer touch the car after delivery. Yes, I track and wrap but light paint correction needed if you are discriminating. I do myself and am an experienced diyer but pro won’t remove significant clear coat if they’re good. Just look at it under light.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:31 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,457 Likes on 760 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
As others have said, this is not true. There are some cheap ones that are intended for 6-24 months, but most of those discussed on here are intended to be permanent, or at least very long term. I've done both and there's a huge difference.
Agree. There are some higher end coatings like Modesta and others that you can get a couple years out of. If you garage it all the time you can squeak out 4-5 years.

Quick Reply: Poll: New Car Protection