Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you guys think of this build?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 01:48 PM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Received 317 Likes on 179 Posts
Default What do you guys think of this build?

This is the porsche code I have created - PJKNG4C6

Few questions

1. Is leather interior worth it? My friend told me that it's totally worth it but some guys tell me that it's not

2. Auto Dimming mirror - worth it? Is it an unnecessary dead weight to the car

3. Fire Extinguisher - What do you guys think about this?

Let me know what you guys think.
Old 08-19-2017, 02:21 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by Ascend

Few questions

1. Is leather interior worth it? My friend told me that it's totally worth it but some guys tell me that it's not

I wouldn't buy a $150k+ car without leather interior. Jmho. But i keep my cars. The .1 fire extinguisher came with poor extinguishers. If it is the same, skip it. Better aftermarket non corrosives options will be available.
Old 08-19-2017, 02:22 PM
SCCAForums
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts

I like the Fire Extinguisher, it compliments the spirit of being a 'GT carr' of the GT3 in my opinion.

I do not think the dimming mirror is needed

I like at least the front half of the dash with leather, to break up the 'rubbery' look of no leather.

To each his/her own though.

Best Regards,
Dave
Old 08-19-2017, 03:25 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

Few questions

yes worth it. Have it on my .1 GT3 and love it. Test drive other 911's before buying, one that didn't have it, and it felt cheap without it.

i have it on my GT3 and opted not to get on my GT4. I didn't really miss it on GT4; the non-dimming mirror is less bulky and has the little switch on bottom to toggle into dimmed mode when someone behind you at night with brights. However, note that the dimming mirror option is also what gives you the auto rain sensor intermittent wipers, which I did miss more. So I'd have the auto dimming mirror option next time.

didnt open your build to see rest, but if you're getting LWBs, then it compliments the look. If getting sofas, seems a little silly looking to me. If you ever have a fire, I don't think you'll be worried about "better non corrosive options"; it'd be nice to have regardless. But in case of fire, just get the hell out of the car. Your health and safety is more important than wasting critical seconds trying to get hold of the extinguisher to put it out to save damage to car. So to me, only real benefit of it is if you're pinned inside the car and there is a fire. Or if you need to use it for fire nearby

Old 08-19-2017, 03:28 PM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Lapis

Few questions

yes worth it. Have it on my .1 GT3 and love it. Test drive other 911's before buying, one that didn't have it, and it felt cheap without it.

i have it on my GT3 and opted not to get on my GT4. I didn't really miss it on GT4; the non-dimming mirror is less bulky and has the little switch on bottom to toggle into dimmed mode when someone behind you at night with brights. However, note that the dimming mirror option is also what gives you the auto rain sensor intermittent wipers, which I did miss more. So I'd have the auto dimming mirror option next time.

didnt open your build to see rest, but if you're getting LWBs, then it compliments the look. If getting sofas, seems a little silly looking to me. If you ever have a fire, I don't think you'll be worried about "better non corrosive options"; it'd be nice to have regardless. But in case of fire, just get the hell out of the car. Your health and safety is more important than wasting critical seconds trying to get hold of the extinguisher to put it out to save damage to car. So to me, only real benefit of it is if you're pinned inside the car and there is a fire. Or if you need to use it for fire nearby

I agree. Honestly, fire extinguisher is to complete "track rat" look on GT3. Hopefully I won't have to use it. In fact, hopefully I get an allocation in the first place.
Old 08-19-2017, 03:34 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 101 Posts

Leather, YES. As others have stated, a $150,000 car and cheap out on the interior?

Auto dimming, NO unnecessary.

Fire extinguisher, NO Never understood this option. As far as I am concerned, if my car states on fire I am out of there as far away as I can.
Old 08-19-2017, 03:55 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 461 Likes on 255 Posts

I'm the opposite. I decked out my GT3 RS with leather because I was so excited. I also have a new C2S with no leather, just a standard interior and honestly I don't notice the difference, maybe sometimes but I think its like being an audiophile some people are just more attune to it.

In retrospect I would have gone no leather on my RS, its a track car..

I do buy all the functional stuff and auto dimming is one of them.
Old 08-19-2017, 04:03 PM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Thank you for the responses!
Old 08-19-2017, 04:45 PM
boxer-11
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

Leather interior looks better and I read at least one thread where there was a claim that it was lighter in weight...didn't really see hard data to prove that though

Auto dimming is kind of a preference thing but as stated above that's the option if you want the wipers to be auto-sensing...living in the PNW I consider that capability pretty much mandatory but if you never see rain or don't drive the car in the rain anyway...

I wish we could get the clubsport option here in the US. That appears to come with a better extinguisher and mounting location but I have the factory extinguisher on my turbo and my GT4 and it's on the build for the .2 GT3 that should be coming my way. It's a cheap way to get an extinguisher in the car that meets factory spec for capability and mounting.
Old 08-19-2017, 04:47 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

I ordered my 15 GT3 without leather. 16 I bought has it....would never not order it again

Fire extinguisher is a cool add on
Old 08-19-2017, 05:13 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 461 Likes on 255 Posts

and you have to worry about it when it rains and you have to drive with your windows open!
Old 08-19-2017, 05:41 PM
C2Spin
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 69 Posts

Did not have leather in my 15 but am adding to the 18. Agree with what others have said that paying $150k+ for a car it should have it. There a few schools of thought though. If you track a lot and like sparser environments then skip it, but if you don't track and want to dress it up, I'd get leather.

My 15 did not have dimming mirrors that also come with auto wipers. While I rarely drive my car at night the auto dim wasn't huge but I do like auto wipers ( go figure). Again a $150k should already have both.

Have the FE in my 15 but skipped it in my 18. As others have said it is not the greatest and better in after market. Plus, and this is going to sound weird, it kind of freaks other people when the get into the car.
Old 08-19-2017, 05:52 PM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

What are thoughts on the following?

1. Bose Stereo System - I thought it would be a nice add-on OR should I reserve good audio system for DD?

2. Brushed Aluminum Interior Package in Anthracite i.c.w. Leather Interior - Best $0 option?

3. Extended Range Fuel Tank - Heard this is a must. (Wasn't this used to be a $0 option?)

4. Fuel Cap in aluminum - again, another "poser" add-on. Is it really worth it?
Old 08-19-2017, 06:15 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts

991.1 3 no leather. GT4 has leather. Would definitely do it if I get allocation

Dimming. If you drive a lot at night probably worth it. I will get it if I order

Fire 🔥 extinguisher I would skip. I use the car for some road trips and takes up floor space wife needs. If you like the "race car " look do it. I won't

Plastic gas cap is better looking than stock but how off do people look at your gas cap. I will probably order again though

Bigger tank I did not have on my 3 but I would get just for extra range. Never missed it but does give a little extra piece of mind and range at track

Stereo I would save for DD

Anthracite I could take or leave. Looks nice but I am going CF if given the choice

One thing you did not mention if you do leather make sure you do around steering wheel especially with any deviated stitching
Old 08-19-2017, 06:25 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Ascend
What are thoughts on the following?

1. Bose Stereo System - I thought it would be a nice add-on OR should I reserve good audio system for DD?

2. Brushed Aluminum Interior Package in Anthracite i.c.w. Leather Interior - Best $0 option?

3. Extended Range Fuel Tank - Heard this is a must. (Wasn't this used to be a $0 option?)

4. Fuel Cap in aluminum - again, another "poser" add-on. Is it really worth it?
Big no on Bose. The car exhaust is all the noise you need and a good audio system would lose its effectiveness in the car.

Extended fuel tang a must unless you like stopping at gas stations.

Aluminum fuel cap is out of place on the car. Though its for track it's more for DD.

Quick Reply: What do you guys think of this build?