Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which seats are/will be in your 991.2 GT3??
4-ways
10.67%
18-ways
14.61%
Lightweight Full Buckets
66.29%
Folding Sport buckets
7.30%
4-ways, but only to replace with aftermarket
1.12%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Who's getting what seats?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 11:25 PM
Nacelle
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by lfish
18 ways. Because its not a race car and I am not a race car driver.
Moi Aussi
Old 08-15-2017, 11:40 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,119 Posts

missed an option:
LWB
swap to proper race seats
Old 08-15-2017, 11:50 PM
JRidge
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
missed an option:
LWB
swap to proper race seats
Point taken. I guess I assumed that anyone planning to install proper race seats would order the -0- cost 4-ways...
Old 08-16-2017, 12:34 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,119 Posts

Originally Posted by JRidge
Point taken. I guess I assumed that anyone planning to install proper race seats would order the -0- cost 4-ways...
LWB make for a more desirable sale later. Or sell them for $
Old 08-16-2017, 01:40 AM
Einmalig
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 73 Posts

I had the 18 ways on my last GT3, but see no advantage to them after sitting in the latest 4 ways. Factoring in both the reduced weight and the cost savings, I'm convinced that the 4 ways are the better choice in a GT3. The LWBs are pure carbon fiber eye candy and the best choice for a collector, but the compromise in real world comfort is hard to justifiy in a dedicated road car. I've spoken with enough GT3 and 918 owners who have commented that the seats are tough to live with on longer drives. I ordered my GT3 with a 6 Speed because I enjoy the experience of shifting a manual and the last thing I want is an stiff, non-articulated, quasi-racing seat with no rake adjustment to **** me off every time I climb in and out of the car. That said, I'm glad they added the rediculous boy racer stripes for 2018, otherwise I might still be tempted to change my spec before it locks.
Old 08-16-2017, 04:37 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

After carefull testing I choose the folding buckets. Couldn't be happier. Very supportive. Reasonably comfortable. Little fatigue or muscle cramps afther a 2hr drive. Getting in and out is ok once you figure out the best technique.
My wife has no problem with them.
Old 08-16-2017, 06:02 AM
Cormid
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All depends on your purpose:

I have LWB and love them with harness on the track.
They're not too bad on the street. Did a 1600 mile road trip in 24 hours and my back felt fine.

Buddy has sofas and they are much more comfortable on the road. But, he also tracks his car and complains about sliding all around.
Old 08-16-2017, 08:57 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,086 Likes on 622 Posts

Definitely the smart move in that case would be to buy LWB, install the race seats and either keep LWB or sell to a .1 GT3 owner. The LWB market is very strong - when they can be found (which is nearly never) they go for $10K or more.

Ex - I made an offer of $13K to someone selling GT4 LWBs sitting in a garage and that was declined.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:48 AM
BCMgunner
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm going LWB in the lone interest of a "low weight build" ethos (build locks late this month). If I hate them, I'm sure someone will be more than happy to barter for 4-way.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:57 AM
Oldmxnut
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 79 Posts

Im going LWB, but will they be available with the touring and its rear seats
Old 08-16-2017, 11:03 AM
JRidge
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for all the responses! I remain on the fence and can't quite yet bring myself to pull the trigger changing my build from 18-ways to buckets. Mostly because the 18-ways are a known quantity as I have them in my GT4, and I've only once sat in the buckets, in the passenger seat of an RS, for about five minutes. Here's how it breaks down for me:

I like seat heaters. My wife LOVES seat heaters.
I like the wide range of adjustment. My wife likes to recline and sleep.
I like being able to fold the seat forward to access the rear cargo shelf.
I'm not a huge fan of the boy racer stripes on the buckets.
I imagine, but don't know, that I would prefer 18-ways for long drives.
All of which suggests 18-ways.

On the other hand, I LOVE the look of the LWBs.
I like the idea of having the lightest weight option in a GT car.
I like the most "sporting" and "connected" feeling with the car.
I imagine, but don't know, that I would prefer LWBs for both track and spirited weekend drives.

I'm afraid, but don't know, that the benefits of buckets for track and spirited driving aren't sufficient to offset the sacrifice of comfort for longer trips.

I imagine I would be indifferent between the two for most shorter, around town, commuter and/or daily-type use.

I probably track 3-4 times a year, and my closest tracks are 3-4 hours away.

I probably take 3-4 trips a year that are 2-3 hours each way.

I probably take 1-2 trips a year that are 6-8 hours each way.

The remainder of my usage would be mostly weekend drives with occasional daily-type usage.

To the extent these facts come into play, I'm 51 years old, 5' 9" and around 170 lbs. My sales advisor reminded me that if I keep this car for a long time my body might start protesting things later that it doesn't protest now, LOL.

Bottom line for me, I'm realizing, is that I will probably stick with 18-ways just because I know what I'm getting and I've been perfectly content with them. I might love and even prefer the buckets but I'm not sure I should take the risk of ordering them without getting to try them out first. Maybe, somehow, I'll get that chance in the next few days. Any of y'all with LWBs close to Jackson, MS??

Last edited by JRidge; 08-16-2017 at 12:23 PM. Reason: typo correction
Old 08-16-2017, 11:32 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 174 Posts

Thanks for all the responses! I remain on the fence and can't quite yet bring myself to pull the trigger changing my build from 18-ways to buckets. Mostly because the 18-ways are a known quantity as I have them in my GT4, and I've only once sat in the buckets, in the passenger seat of an RS, for about five minutes. Here's how it breaks down for me:

I like seat heaters. My wife LOVES seat heaters.
I like the wide range of adjustment. My wife likes to recline and sleep.
I like being able to fold the seat forward to access the rear cargo shelf.
I'm not a huge fan of the boy racer stripes on the buckets.
I imagine, but don't know, that I would prefer 18-ways for long drives.
All of which suggests 18-ways.

On the other hand, I LOVE the look of the LWBs.
I like the idea of having the lightest weight option in a GT car.
I like the most "sporting" and "connected" feeling with the car.
I imagine, but don't know, that I would prefer LWBs for both track and spirited weekend drives.

I'm afraid, but don't know, that the benefits of buckets for track and spirited driving aren't sufficient to offset the sacrifice of comfort for longer trips.

I imagine I would be indifferent between the two for most shorter, around town, commuter and/or daily-type use.

I probably track 3-4 times a year, and my closest tracks are 3-4 drives away.

I probably take 3-4 trips a year that are 2-3 hours each way.

I probably take 1-2 trips a year that are 6-8 hours each way.

The remainder of my usage would be mostly weekend drives with occasional daily-type usage.

To the extent these facts come into play, I'm 51 years old, 5' 9" and around 170 lbs. My sales advisor reminded me that if I keep this car for a long time my body might start protesting things later that it doesn't protest now, LOL.

Bottom line for me, I'm realizing, is that I will probably stick with 18-ways just because I know what I'm getting and I've been perfectly content with them. I might love and even prefer the buckets but I'm not sure I should take the risk of ordering them without getting to try them out first. Maybe, somehow, I'll get that chance in the next few days. Any of y'all with LWBs close to Jackson, MS??
It's a shame we don't get the folding buckets anymore. I had those on my .2 and they were just right in terms of rake and comfort.

Two points to make about the adjustability of the new rigid hard back buckets:

1. Rake- The upright position of these seats is a problem for comfort and for use with a HANS and helmet. AutoQuest has a way to fix the rake with a different height adjuster arm that increases the rake, I think I will try that, otherwise you can add spacers to the front seat mounts, but that may compromise the seat's secure mounting.

2. Lumbar adjustment- Or should I say lack thereof. The seats are actually really easy to modify since the cushions are just held in with velcro, so you can add anything behind the seats to change the shape. I just added towels and my wife went from complaining to happy with the the lower lumbar position of the seats. I did the same in my seat to actually increase the height of the bottom cushion and the 'rake' of the back cushion for a long drive. This better fit the 'C' shaped curvature of my back and was very comfortable. In both cases you would be hard pressed to tell anything was different with the seats. It's an easy change and just takes a few minutes messing around with foam or in my case towels to change the shape to what you like.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:56 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

"...i don't want to turn this into another LWB vs SOFA thread but...."

(Genius)
Old 08-16-2017, 12:39 PM
white6speed
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

Why not, over 100 people have responded and many are in the middle of freeze decisions
Old 08-16-2017, 12:52 PM
Craig
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Single LWB Driver Only Seat

I'd like to replace my 18 Way driver's seat with a LWB seat, leaving, my 18 Way seat only for the passenger. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Quick Reply: Who's getting what seats?