991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.1 GT3 COG: Our Meeting with PCNA/PAG plus Porsche's Official Announcement

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 10:46 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 437 Likes on 262 Posts

Guys don t forget that apart the fingers followers which PAG will take care of
for free as a design defect

i will always be extending my P warranty until 10yrs/120k miles for roughly 1k$/year

so regardless covered

the 991 is not made only by a finger follower....
Old 08-20-2017, 11:47 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,652 Likes on 768 Posts

^^ P warranty or shady aftermarket warranty Company?

I dont think it's available in the US but if it exists, someone need to sell me that in 24 months.
Old 08-20-2017, 12:06 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR

I dont think it's available in the US but if it exists, someone need to sell me that in 24 months.
I hear you.
Old 08-20-2017, 05:28 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 437 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR

P warranty for EU and some others

P warranty in US will be the next COG argument?

Last edited by fxz; 08-21-2017 at 05:37 PM.
Old 08-21-2017, 12:48 AM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Several years ago I bought an aftermarket warranty from a well reputed insurance company for a 997.1 S. It cost just over $1.2k per year. It turned out to be useless as I had no claims during the coverage period other than some minor stuff under the deductible. Maybe just luck.

So far our GT3s only seem to be problematic with the FF issue and some PDK replacements. I would surmise that any aftermarket program will most likely not cover track usage.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:52 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Update: I got an email from PCNA this morning. Letters should be going out to all US 991.1 GT3 owners in September. Strong emphasis on "should be going out."

I assume owners in other markets will get updated around the same time, but I have no idea how things work outside the US.
Old 08-21-2017, 11:45 AM
OMG Noooooo....
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
I assume owners in other markets will get updated around the same time, but I have no idea how things work outside the US.
I spoke about this a week or two ago with my OPC, he said he had been made aware of the issue. He said Porsche would be notifying everyone in the UK in the near future..
Old 08-21-2017, 11:48 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by OMG Noooooo....
I spoke about this a week or two ago with my OPC, he said he had been made aware of the issue. He said Porsche would be notifying everyone in the UK in the near future..
Old 08-27-2017, 03:26 PM
FerchoPorsche
Advanced

I can only speak from my experience. The inspection and verification part took a couple of weeks. They tried plugs and coils, which didn't fix it, then removed the valve covers and saw the damaged followers. Documentation and photos went to PAG. Once it was decided to replace the engine, it was ordered and arrived from Germany to Florida in 3 days. Took another week to install, test and deliver to me. I would think the diagnosis part would be shortened, once plugs and coils are ruled out and valve covers are removed it should be a simple decision.
First of all, thanks sharing the info, and pursuing the matter with Porsche (came to this thread through another one initiated by Macca if my memory serves well)... In any case, what you all did was fantastic and will try to contribute back when possible.
I just run into this problem, 2015 GT3 with an F engine, same debug procedure as described above... we'll see about delivery times and how to identify engine type, etc... will keep the thread updated on fix/reoccurrence.

I did get this from dealership when bought the car 2 weeks ago, yes it broke down with less than a week of driving, and yes, with Ignition Failure at 8400 RPM.

Old 08-27-2017, 11:50 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by FerchoPorsche
First of all, thanks sharing the info, and pursuing the matter with Porsche (came to this thread through another one initiated by Macca if my memory serves well)... In any case, what you all did was fantastic and will try to contribute back when possible.
I just run into this problem, 2015 GT3 with an F engine, same debug procedure as described above... we'll see about delivery times and how to identify engine type, etc... will keep the thread updated on fix/reoccurrence.

I did get this from dealership when bought the car 2 weeks ago, yes it broke down with less than a week of driving, and yes, with Ignition Failure at 8400 RPM.

Awesome to see this making its way to the dealers. Keep us posted!
Old 08-30-2017, 06:44 AM
siswati
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FerchoPorsche
Testament to the great work that Rob and the GT3COG did on our behalf, and of the value Porsche places in their premium customers. Thankful to have both on my side. Much appreciated
Old 08-30-2017, 01:29 PM
redgt3
Intermediate

as an FYI for UK owners..
I've been in touch with PCGB; their response

Dear Mr Willis

Thank you for your enquiry.

I can confirm that Porsche have been made aware of such speculation. At this time, we have no formal confirmation from Porsche AG that GT3 warranties will be extended to 10 years.

Please be advised that should Porsche announce such an extension, all affected customers will be contacted directly in due course.

I am sorry that my response may be vague, however, I trust the above clarifies Porsche's current position.

Thank you for contacting Porsche Cars Great Britain Limited.
Old 08-30-2017, 06:28 PM
FredGT3
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Out of interest is that from Customer Assistance in the UK. If so I don't think it means very much as this is outsourced to the RAC and isn't actually coming from Porsche themselves.

I ask as the wording is very like recent correspondence I've had from them.

Regards
Gary
Old 08-31-2017, 03:51 AM
redgt3
Intermediate

no, this was from Porsche Cars GB direct
Old 08-31-2017, 01:44 PM
FredGT3
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fair enough. I know that even direct contact via the website though is routed to an outsourced team from the RAC rather than Porsche GB employees.

I am in correspondence with some of the senior management at PCGB over an issue I've had that has been going on for some time so will broach it with them as well so they see multiple people are interested.

Regards
Fred

Quick Reply: 991.1 GT3 COG: Our Meeting with PCNA/PAG plus Porsche's Official Announcement