991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Safety on track: Club Sport vs "normal"

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 12:00 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,268 Likes on 2,436 Posts

Let's keep in mind that the factory safety system in these cars, with the 3-pt belts, airbags, etc. (a) is constrained by needs of comfort and convenience for street use (helmets, 6-pts, etc. aren't practicable for the street) and (b) isn't generally designed and tested for crashes at track speeds.

I think the factory safety system is decent, and it wouldn't be stupid to track the car with just the factory safety system, but I'm doubtful that it's as safe as 6-pts, head/neck restraint, helmets, etc.

Good discussion here on aviation crash safety system which largely applies to our topic:

http://www.aero-constructeurs-amateu...vability-1.pdf
Old 08-02-2017, 01:07 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,196 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by gago1101
I'm an idiot... Please educate me, but my understanding is that a Hans device is likely the most important safety thing one needs on a track. The few fatalities I've heard about, could have potentially been prevented by the Hans device. I do not have it, but seriously considering to get one.
Definitely a must in a race car or any car without airbags. Probably a good idea in a car with airbags as well. I'd personally use some head restraint device in any situation with or without 6 point harness (there are versions for 3-point belts) and with or without airbags. There is no reason not to do it, besides a very minor impact on comfort.

Quick Reply: Safety on track: Club Sport vs "normal"