Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PORSCHE OUT OF WEC!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 04:38 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

F1 is possible, but getting a top tier team to take the risk after the McLaren Honda experience might be tough.

That said, I could see a Toro Rosso and Red Bull running a TAG branded Porsche engine. The current TAG branded Renault is junk still.
Old 07-27-2017, 05:52 PM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Cash is the issue across the group, and e-racing is better for brand. Don't see F1 at all.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40740886
Old 07-27-2017, 05:59 PM
tqevo
Pro

Received 150 Likes on 82 Posts

Formula E? E for effort
Old 07-27-2017, 06:14 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The "feel good" fools that think electric racing is "green" should look into pedal cars. Maybe the mfr can blast their trademarked noises out of exhaust speakers.
Old 07-27-2017, 06:24 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 629 Likes on 415 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest89
The Formula E whining is probably a generational thing. I remember when people whined about hybrids in LMP1 too!

The cars will only get faster, and the series already attracts top drivers.

It will only get better.
It isn't whining. Anything "E" just isn't as exciting or involving as traditional open or closed wheel top categories. It is an emerging technology but much still to do. Agree they will only get faster.

I don't agree that it attracts top drivers. The best continue to go to F1, then Indy cars or sports cars, then something like F-E. Perhaps that changes over time but I think it will be a long time. It will be interesting to see what MB's involvement does for the series.

F1 is being revamped, rules changes will come as will tossing out the Concorde Agreement in favor of something more stable and equitable for teams. It Porsche were to enter (I doubt it), that would be the time, around 2020. To make it work best, they'd need to buy a team which should be possible. Wish it was probable but...
Old 07-27-2017, 06:43 PM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

The Formula E whining is probably a generational thing. I remember when people whined about hybrids in LMP1 too!

I'm 28; most of my closest friends are my age or within a year or two. We all attend numerous race weekends each year (I probably do the most - 11 YTD and 7 on the calendar).

Most of us will go to Formula E in NYC next year (would have this year but we were all busy). I'm excited for the prospects. Hell, I might buy a Mission E in a few years!

The cars will only get faster, and the series already attracts top drivers.

It will only get better.
Wrong logic. Drivers would race golf carts - if the compensation was high enough.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:16 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by signes
It isn't whining. Anything "E" just isn't as exciting or involving as traditional open or closed wheel top categories. It is an emerging technology but much still to do. Agree they will only get faster.

I don't agree that it attracts top drivers. The best continue to go to F1, then Indy cars or sports cars, then something like F-E. Perhaps that changes over time but I think it will be a long time. It will be interesting to see what MB's involvement does for the series.

F1 is being revamped, rules changes will come as will tossing out the Concorde Agreement in favor of something more stable and equitable for teams. It Porsche were to enter (I doubt it), that would be the time, around 2020. To make it work best, they'd need to buy a team which should be possible. Wish it was probable but...
Originally Posted by brake dust
Wrong logic. Drivers would race golf carts - if the compensation was high enough.
Most of the grid are WEC drivers, and no gentleman drivers obviously.

Formula E overall driver quality is probably second only to F1
Old 07-27-2017, 09:37 PM
String33
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 31 Posts

What's left to win? Porsche has won overall victory the last 3 years. They barely won this year. they might lose next year. Leave while they're on top. Let Toyota win next year against no one. Just in the last 3 years, Porsche has beaten Audi, Toyota, and Nissan and that means something. When Toyota wins next year, they will have beaten who?

Last edited by String33; 07-27-2017 at 10:12 PM.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:49 PM
randr
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Motorsport has been dying for years - I know this from a grass roots perspective - this is simply another nail in the coffin.

A very large proportion of "younger" people get their view of the world from a lap top and their attention bought by the immediacy of "video" games. More so, with the emergence of 3D immersive reality.

What is perhaps more frightening, is this is being driven by legislation, a political agenda and lead by the disastrous European Economic Community - The European Union and Economics is your worst dystopian nightmare. A genuine fools paradise.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:27 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,039 Likes on 535 Posts

RSR will remain; they are selling customer cars next year.
Raising funds for the next round of replacement 991.1 GT3 engines.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:16 PM
RC000E
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by <3mph
After dieselgate, I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner tbh.
Dieselgate might only be the tip of the iceberg. VW AG, BMW AG and AMG AG got much bigger problems now. The US justice dept, german cartel off and EU antitrust group are investigating what appears to be collusion among the three, since the 1990's to control parts pricing, manipulate the market, skew diesel emissions worldwide, etc. Apparently, they'd assembled a series of employees and a large number of groups to coordinate this effort among the auto groups to manipulate the markets and suppress competition.

If this goes big...Dieselgate is going to be a puppy by comparison. Interestlingly, Mercedes is doing some autosport withdrawals as well. I think they see a storm over the horizon.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bertels.../#203ab8fe7ce8
Old 07-28-2017, 02:18 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,057 Likes on 578 Posts

I am not compelled at all by Formula E.

I also have to say that the electrification of F1 and LMP1 is hypocritical.

They bring 30 diesel trucks from race to race.

If you want to go green- get a smaller carbon footprint.

You can run a V12 NA for less carbon then their trucks make.
Old 07-28-2017, 02:46 AM
Guest89
Drifting

Official:

https://presse.porsche.de/prod/press...otorsport-news
Old 07-28-2017, 03:22 AM
Guest89
Drifting

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
I am not compelled at all by Formula E.

I also have to say that the electrification of F1 and LMP1 is hypocritical.

They bring 30 diesel trucks from race to race.

If you want to go green- get a smaller carbon footprint.

You can run a V12 NA for less carbon then their trucks make.
Similarly, where do people think the electrons that motivate their Tesla came from? Magic?
Old 07-28-2017, 04:20 AM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This is from the press release above:

"At the same time, Porsche is increasing its commitment in the GT class. “A diversity of manufacturers and the quality of both WEC and IMSA have led us to strengthen our commitment and concentrate our energies on using the 911 RSRâ€, says Steiner. “We want to be number one. To do that, we must invest accordinglyâ€

This got me thinking that that they will focus more on GT racing and perhaps it will cause a tighter transfer or sharing between road and GT. At least that's my hope... back to the days where Porsche were out of top flight Motorsports.

Quick Reply: PORSCHE OUT OF WEC!!