Sponsored by:

PORSCHE OUT OF WEC!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 09:07 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest89
Similarly, where do people think the electrons that motivate their Tesla came from? Magic?
Increasingly it is overnight from Nuke and Renewables that would otherwise be curtailed.

The biggest win from EVs short term is air pollution in large cities. Mercedes has already been running semi trailer 100% EV, UPS has a growing LNG gas powered fleet. Same with buses.
Old 07-28-2017, 11:05 AM
jmh981
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
I am not compelled at all by Formula E.

I also have to say that the electrification of F1 and LMP1 is hypocritical.

They bring 30 diesel trucks from race to race.

If you want to go green- get a smaller carbon footprint.

You can run a V12 NA for less carbon then their trucks make.
The idea is - these applications trickle down [eventually] to millions of user / consumers. The actual ''green-ness' doesn't come from motorsport, it comes from what motorsport offers to cars we can all buy.
Old 07-28-2017, 11:29 AM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 101 Posts

Let's face it, GT racing is what sells cars, and Porsche is in the business of selling cars. Look at the 60+ car grid at Spa 24.....GT racing is where it is all at, and it's where the profits are at for manufacturers. And will be for many years to come.

Porsche has finally admitted they screwed up by "not caring" about Blaincpain GT until now. Now we get to see full PRO teams competing in Blaincpain GT, and more RSR/GT3R/GT4 customer cars around the globe. Plus, many more factory supported teams will get a Pro-Am lineup, further strengthening their presence. There should be atleast 10-15 GT3R's on the grid this weekend at Spa, and that's what they are going to focus on in the coming years.

Porsche already proved they can beat anybody for the top step at LeMans. Formula E is marketing, and some R&D for that technology, and while I think E is a joke and have no desire to ever watch it, if dropping the LMP1 program gets us a core focus on GT racing, with potential F1 engine supply, then I am all for it.

Finally they can start slapping all those LMP1 drivers back in GT cars around the globe.
Old 07-28-2017, 12:17 PM
CHADW
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

I love it!

i want to see cars that look like mine dominate their classes.
Old 07-28-2017, 12:48 PM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Mvez
Let's face it, GT racing is what sells cars, and Porsche is in the business of selling cars. Look at the 60+ car grid at Spa 24.....GT racing is where it is all at, and it's where the profits are at for manufacturers. And will be for many years to come.

Porsche has finally admitted they screwed up by "not caring" about Blaincpain GT until now. Now we get to see full PRO teams competing in Blaincpain GT, and more RSR/GT3R/GT4 customer cars around the globe. Plus, many more factory supported teams will get a Pro-Am lineup, further strengthening their presence. There should be atleast 10-15 GT3R's on the grid this weekend at Spa, and that's what they are going to focus on in the coming years.

Porsche already proved they can beat anybody for the top step at LeMans. Formula E is marketing, and some R&D for that technology, and while I think E is a joke and have no desire to ever watch it, if dropping the LMP1 program gets us a core focus on GT racing, with potential F1 engine supply, then I am all for it.

Finally they can start slapping all those LMP1 drivers back in GT cars around the globe.
Believe all of the LMP1 drivers/engineers and support will be moving over to the Formula E effort.

I really liked the 918 technology and believe that to be the future - not full electric. I have no ineterest in "Mission-E" - which based on the activity of that Rennlist forum - no one else does either.
Old 07-28-2017, 12:53 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,869 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
No money!
If that's true, then how does Ferrari, with about 1/7th the revenues of Porsche and lower operating margins, afford it?

LMP racing is a waste of money, but F1 isn't IMO, as long as you're competitive.
Old 07-28-2017, 01:01 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

The F1 program would be mostly funded by the team, Red Bull and TAG makes sense given the red bull/VW tie up and historic TAG-Porsche F1 engines.

F1 distributes a good amount of profit to the teams. Last Year Mercedes received $145m, Ferrari $208m (special incentive payment to keep Ferrari in F1), Red Bull $140m, Williams Martini $114m. Not to mention all the merchandise sales it drives.

What does the WEC offer in terms of money? Doubt the WEC makes much if any profit vs F1's $1.8bn last year.
Old 07-28-2017, 01:33 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by jmh981
The idea is - these applications trickle down [eventually] to millions of user / consumers. The actual ''green-ness' doesn't come from motorsport, it comes from what motorsport offers to cars we can all buy.
Exactly:

Old 07-28-2017, 07:45 PM
ML///
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, will Toyota finally get a win at Le Man next year? I think there's a pro and con to their exit. Hopefully it will help other teams reevaluate that the costs of racing have grown out of control and finding an alternative outlet might be a better use of resources (ie. GT and GT4 racing). I'm not sure I agree Porsche's decision to move to Formula E.
Old 07-28-2017, 07:55 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,040 Likes on 535 Posts

Zero interest in Formula E.
Old 07-28-2017, 07:55 PM
major dad
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bad move by Porsche, it will alienate their traditional supporters like me . Formula E, I would rather wath paint dry.
Old 07-28-2017, 08:27 PM
jmh981
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
Exactly:

Looking at that graph, you would think the increase in thermal efficiency from the current F1 engines is, like, the biggest advance in the ICE since..well, forever?
Old 07-28-2017, 10:05 PM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

McLaren-Porsche
Old 07-29-2017, 02:04 AM
randr
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by brake dust
Wrong logic. Drivers would race golf carts - if the compensation was high enough.
True, but its a circular argument, there isn't and wont be enough compensation because no one would watch it.

In terms of Mission E - Also, I have zero interest.

I think Porsche should skip to the chase - autonomous electric car racing - whhowweee that would be grand

For me, part of the attraction of motorsports is the interaction between, people, clubs and teams - e.g. test days, where you help another person or they help you, the bark of an engine as its turned over - a chat over a bbq, the smell of oil, grease and finally swarfega at the end of the day.

I remember as a kid in the UK, the "Flying Scotsman" howling past at a rail crossing - the only barrier to the track being a single plank wooden barrier. The diesel-electric era arrived and the emotion was gone. No one ever talks about the romance of diesel electric trains - but they do about steam trains. Likewise with cars.

Last edited by randr; 07-29-2017 at 02:30 AM.
Old 07-29-2017, 09:18 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Formule E - zero interrest from a spectactor point of view

Quick Reply: PORSCHE OUT OF WEC!!