Sponsored by:

Dodge Viper runs 7:03 at the Nurburgring

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 05:01 PM
Bossing
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Worth the reading....

Meet the grassroots crew that took the Viper to the most challenging race track on earth:

BY BOB SOROKANICH
AUG 8, 2017

Dominik Farnbacher isn’t satisfied with setting the third-fastest production-car lap ever recorded at the Nurburgring.

He’s not satisfied with caveats, either. His 7:03.45 run is the fastest manual-transmission lap, the fastest rear-drive lap, and the fastest time ever set with an American car at the harrowing German circuit. It’s also the first ‘Ring
lap he’s driven in the 2017 Dodge Viper ACR without traffic. As first attempts go, it’s a good one, nearly nine seconds faster than Farnbacher’s 2011 record in that year’s Viper.
Entire article here: http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...ver-attempted/
Attached Images  
Old 09-02-2017, 08:28 PM
TopspeedPT
Racer

Received 121 Likes on 64 Posts

They improved the laptime.

old: 7:03.45

new: 7:01.30(-02.15)

Originally Posted by Facebook_ViperRingKing
We went to the shop today to visit our hurt friend and managed to download this from its video / data recorder. You'll notice several spots where the tranny resisted between second and third gears. That alone cost us 2 seconds (we didn't have any more spare transmissions). This was Lance's FIRST HOT LAP. Time and money. If we had a little more...... Again, Viper Nation, THANK YOU.

Last edited by TopspeedPT; 09-02-2017 at 08:52 PM.
Old 09-03-2017, 12:20 PM
Snakebit10
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Well its finally over. Final results show that it is just too much car (downforce) and too much track (14 miles) for those Kumho's to handle safely. Great tire but for much shorter tracks. Hell of an effort though. I guess there is a reason race cars with this much down force use racing tires. A lap of 7:01 on Lance Arnolds first lap in the Viper is smoking for an analog car like this. Nice effort Team Viper.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/motorspo...rburgring-lap/
Old 09-03-2017, 01:39 PM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Unless Porsche puts a stick in the GT2RS, the manual record will stand forever.
Old 09-03-2017, 05:46 PM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Congrats on a spectacular effort.

It's too bad everyone there believed they could turn a 6:55.

Raising over 200k - what a great story.
Old 09-04-2017, 10:10 AM
Snakebit10
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by nuvolari612
Congrats on a spectacular effort.

It's too bad everyone there believed they could turn a 6:55.

Raising over 200k - what a great story.
I think it could definitely get there and probably closer to the "claimed" Performante time but no way on the Kumho's.

I wonder if the Trofeo R's/MPSC 2's could handle the whole lap at those temps with the full down force of the Viper. None of the other top production cars on the Ring list punish the tires with that much down force. Of course then it would not be bone stock but it would be nice to see what the car is capable of with a more durable compound more suited for this track.

I guess we can say the Viper did a tire limited time of 7:01. Kind of like a cars gear limited top speed of xxx.
Old 09-04-2017, 11:19 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,018 Likes on 2,838 Posts

Originally Posted by Argon_
Unless Porsche puts a stick in the GT2RS, the manual record will stand forever.
Could be that Chevy keeps a Manual in the Mid-Engined C8 Corvette with new Z06 and ZR1 versions that may beat 7 min...
Old 09-04-2017, 03:32 PM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Could be that Chevy keeps a Manual in the Mid-Engined C8 Corvette with new Z06 and ZR1 versions that may beat 7 min...
Definitely could be, though I'm skeptical about the manual. Chevy doesn't have a top notch manual transaxle to bolt in.
Old 09-04-2017, 04:22 PM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Originally Posted by Snakebit10
I think it could definitely get there and probably closer to the "claimed" Performante time but no way on the Kumho's.

I wonder if the Trofeo R's/MPSC 2's could handle the whole lap at those temps with the full down force of the Viper. None of the other top production cars on the Ring list punish the tires with that much down force. Of course then it would not be bone stock but it would be nice to see what the car is capable of with a more durable compound more suited for this track.

I guess we can say the Viper did a tire limited time of 7:01. Kind of like a cars gear limited top speed of xxx.
Performante time - there's no way.

Kunho's are fine it was a hell of a run - let's see a like owners car run for the amount these two did you would see like carnage.

I enjoy taking my Viper out it's ridiculous with stage 2 and other mods nothing can keep up - end of an era!
Old 09-04-2017, 04:23 PM
SCCAForums
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Snakebit10

Every manufacturer chooses the tire that they feel is best (or most convenient) when you watched the ZL1 camaro, same thing with the Good Years, falling off at the end.

When you think of Porsche, they put a new set on for 'EVERY LAP'...

I doubt this is 'tire' issue... it's consistent, in warmer temps, and going 10/10ths for 6+ minute laps... the tires fall off. Would be the same if you're at Laguna Seca on 'Lap 4' for any car/tire.

Viper did REALLY WELL all things considered!

The only real way, if you want to eliminate the tire factor... is just have a Nurburgring 'Tire'... that everyone runs.. ie Hoosier, Michelin, Pirelli... but most of us have known for many years, 'much of the difference' in lap times, is all related to the tires.

The 911 Turbo S, is a perfect example... put Cup 2's on that car... and it more than likely beats the GT3.

Such is life, when trying to care 'Production Car' times... and 'Ring Lap times' imo.

I do think the ZR1 can (will?) beat the 7min mark with a Manual trans. Just not sure if they'll run the time with that or use the potential 10 spd (or 8spd Auto).

Dodge was the most advanced (agressive) with Aero... the other manufactures have all followed suit.

Best Regards,
Dave
Old 09-04-2017, 04:31 PM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Originally Posted by SCCAForums
Every manufacturer chooses the tire that they feel is best (or most convenient) when you watched the ZL1 camaro, same thing with the Good Years, falling off at the end.

When you think of Porsche, they put a new set on for 'EVERY LAP'...

I doubt this is 'tire' issue... it's consistent, in warmer temps, and going 10/10ths for 6+ minute laps... the tires fall off. Would be the same if you're at Laguna Seca on 'Lap 4' for any car/tire.

Viper did REALLY WELL all things considered!

The only real way, if you want to eliminate the tire factor... is just have a Nurburgring 'Tire'... that everyone runs.. ie Hoosier, Michelin, Pirelli... but most of us have known for many years, 'much of the difference' in lap times, is all related to the tires.

The 911 Turbo S, is a perfect example... put Cup 2's on that car... and it more than likely beats the GT3.

Such is life, when trying to care 'Production Car' times... and 'Ring Lap times' imo.

I do think the ZR1 can (will?) beat the 7min mark with a Manual trans. Just not sure if they'll run the time with that or use the potential 10 spd (or 8spd Auto).

Dodge was the most advanced (agressive) with Aero... the other manufactures have all followed suit.

Best Regards,
Dave
Agree - but you think there will ever be aero / down force like the ACR honestly shocked it got approval to be street legal guessing everyone turned there head knowing it was low production and coming to an end.

FWIW - I love the Kumho's inasmuch hand built manual V10 torque hp side exhaust that can easily be modified by the guys who designed the Viper.
Old 09-04-2017, 04:54 PM
SCCAForums
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by nuvolari612
Agree - but you think there will ever be aero / down force like the ACR honestly shocked it got approval to be street legal guessing everyone turned there head knowing it was low production and coming to an end.

FWIW - I love the Kumho's inasmuch hand built manual V10 torque hp side exhaust that can easily be modified by the guys who designed the Viper.
The new ZR1 looks like they are getting pretty aggressive with the aero... so we'll see shortly.

And agree... love the Viper, started racing them back in the Viper Challenge Series Days ('98)... have had a few. If I didn't have the new GT3.2 MT car coming, I would have considered picking up a last year ACR as well.

Best Regards,
Dave
Old 09-05-2017, 04:19 AM
krisa9977
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tires make huge difference, but in this case tires won't help. It all depends on the driver. With the average driver it is possible to beat GT3 with Turbo S, but with the good driver, properly set up GT3(alignment only) will be much faster then any Turbo S, even chiped. No chance for Turbo S. I know people with Turbo S who tried to beat GT3 even using lower control arms from GT3 to get more camber and Pirelli Trofeo R tires. We also tried same pro driver and the same tires in both cars. GT3 was still faster at different tracks

If you talking about MPSC2 tires, they also different. You can not compare MPSC2 ZP tires from Corvette C7 Z06 and MPSC2 N specs from 991.1. If you look at Sport Auto tests, you can see maximum lateral G force that those tires make. ZPs almost like slicks make 1.7Gs and N specs make only 1.45Gs. In 991.2 GT3 they put new version of MPSC2 that make 1.65G (I'm talking about Nurburgring, same corners with no banking)
Old 09-05-2017, 02:46 PM
enduro911
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

The new ZR1 looks like they are getting pretty aggressive with the aero... so we'll see shortly.

And agree... love the Viper, started racing them back in the Viper Challenge Series Days ('98)... have had a few. If I didn't have the new GT3.2 MT car coming, I would have considered picking up a last year ACR as well.

Best Regards,
Dave
Do you have any insight into whether, as a platform, the Corvette or the Viper is likely to go quicker with proper suspension, tires, brakes, and aero trickery? The Viper's got the bigger engine (so more torque) but it always seems to weigh-in quite a bit heavier than the Vette. Just curious as I've never tracked either car. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-05-2017, 02:56 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,018 Likes on 2,838 Posts

Originally Posted by enduro911
Do you have any insight into whether, as a platform, the Corvette or the Viper is likely to go quicker with proper suspension, tires, brakes, and aero trickery? The Viper's got the bigger engine (so more torque) but it always seems to weigh-in quite a bit heavier than the Vette. Just curious as I've never tracked either car. Thanks in advance.
I think it's possible the ZR1 that's currently testing could break 7 min with Manual...

Quick Reply: Dodge Viper runs 7:03 at the Nurburgring