Sponsored by:

Wrapping the front end experiences?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 09:51 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Hard to find tacky when you can not even notice it if done by a true professional.
exactly...I stopped reading his post after the wrapping furniture comment...SMH
Old 07-23-2017, 10:10 PM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Received 302 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Hams955
Actually... Great point.

If you have the car paint corrected prior to installing the clear bra it will be less noticeable. The clear bra picks up any imperfections on the paint.

- Chris
Exactly. You have to start with a good base. I did a paint correction on my dad's M4, Tanzanite Blue Metallic, and was it a huge difference from before to after. Took around 12 hours of labor. ANd then he did XPEL on the whole car as well.

Can hardly notice the XPEL at all. ANd on top of that, no swirl marks. Ever.

Huge difference on dark paint. Color correct, then XPEL.
Old 07-24-2017, 01:36 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

It's such a pleasure to clean clearbra instead of paint.. bugs, tar, dirt just comes right off, and there are no swirls. I can sort of understand the couch analogy, but in reality it's completely invisible and the car looks better during the entire period of ownership, AND after removal if necessary.
Old 07-24-2017, 03:31 AM
gago1101
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

In 2 years and 7K miles, few track days, mine had lots of tiny chips on the windshield, but only 2-3 very small paint blemishes. I couldn't believe and would make a joke about how strong the GT3 paint was compared to the glass. Of course, I know the slick profile of the car helped divert the debris.

That said, my .2 GT3 is going to be wrapped as soon as I take delivery.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:01 AM
white6speed
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 111 Posts

I am assuming a new car does not need any paint correction prior to wrap.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:57 AM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by white6speed

Not true, most have swirl marks and small debris from transport on the paint surface--first clay bar, then wash, then paint correction with DA polisher, then film then ceramic coat.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:20 AM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by kfmcmahon
Not true, most have swirl marks and small debris from transport on the paint surface--first clay bar, then wash, then paint correction with DA polisher, then film then ceramic coat.
You guys might be making a believer out of me.

I assume all the above - clay bar, etc - would all be done professionally? And then wrap all 4 fenders and the whole hood so there are no tacky plastic lines? And you cannot tell there is a plastic wrap? How much would that cost, and who would do it, may I ask?
Old 07-24-2017, 10:31 AM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by Palting
You guys might be making a believer out of me.

I assume all the above - clay bar, etc - would all be done professionally? And then wrap all 4 fenders and the whole hood so there are no tacky plastic lines? And you cannot tell there is a plastic wrap? How much would that cost, and who would do it, may I ask?
A lot of the cost depends on the product....a quality shop will wrap a car and unless you know what to look for you won't be able to tell
Old 07-24-2017, 03:01 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by white6speed
Be very careful with advice from the Internet. 'Paint correction' is a relatively new term for cut/compound. It is removing a portion of the already very thin factory clear coat. Personally, I want original paint on my cars, and as much of it as possible. Yes, it may mean a few chips. But to each his own...
Old 07-24-2017, 04:50 PM
white6speed
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 111 Posts

Thanks for your insight. Want no mistakes on a new car. My dealer seems to do the film on delivery.
Old 07-24-2017, 05:25 PM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

I went with nothing for a year...I hate these wraps...but then I just came to the point where I was afraid that it would be hard to match that mexico blue paint if something went crappy down the line so I did the whole car paint correction with some nano robot crazy crap to protect it and then clear vinyl the whole front end...was stupid expensive...could have just bought a set of ceramic rotors lol
Old 07-24-2017, 06:51 PM
major dad
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wrapping is like a condom ( or whatever you Yanks call them ). Jokes aside, IMHO no wrap a nd repaint if need be. I've never seen a wrap that I can't see ! And there is just not the same deep gloss that you get with pure paint.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:54 PM
Sloopy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have it done by a good installer and you won't know it's there. Had mine paint corrected then wrapped. Some of the car was left bare and you can't tell where the wrap starts and stops.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:58 PM
Sloopy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by major dad
Wrapping is like a condom ( or whatever you Yanks call them ). Jokes aside, IMHO no wrap a nd repaint if need be. I've never seen a wrap that I can't see ! And there is just not the same deep gloss that you get with pure paint.
If it's as good as mine you can't see it. If you can see it it's not good....
I do know what your talking about though as I had my fist one done and never liked it. Now i'v had my last 4 cars done by Premier in the bay area and can't see them.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:03 PM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Received 302 Likes on 140 Posts

My dad's M4, brand new, had swirl marks all over the car. I used a very mild cut (VERY), then polish, then sealed. Then he had the XPEL put on the whole car. You would be very surprised how difficult it would be to see the wrap. His car is dark, which makes it even more difficult.

On a white car like my previous 991 GT3, if you look close enough, where the edges aren't wrapped (very few places), you could see some type of edge. But you'd have to get close to find them.

And I agree that leaving a line across the middle of the hood or fenders doesn't look good.

Full wrapped... Done right... Paint protected.

Quick Reply: Wrapping the front end experiences?