just got back, let's discuss value of porsches

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 07:01 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,104 Likes on 547 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3RS-Fan1
Hello Mooty,

Hope you are fully recovered now. Yesterday it was gorgeous here in Illinois, high of 70 and sunny. Took out my "First Five" and took them out for a spin coming out of storage. You ask for names of my trio (trinity), I figure I will share the names of my "First Five."

Today I will ride my Stumpjumper FSR pro, no carbon footprint.

Left to right:
1.) GT2RS - Charlie - For Champion as it is the current Nurburgring record holder.
2.) GT3RS - Yellowjacket - A stinger for a naturally aspirated 911.
3.) 918 Spyder - Sharky - Sexiest car and shape like a shark of all my Porsches.
4.) Turbo S Exclusive Series - Goldie as in Goldie Hawn, Golden Yellow Metallic
5.) 911R - Excel - It is my favorite of them all. Not the fastest, not the most expensive but It checks all the boxes I want in a car.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1

I’m awaiting the update with the speedster at the end of the lineup; what color are you going for? Very impressive set of 991’s. And that one in the middle isn’t so bad either, especially given it was the ticket to the 991 collection!
Old 05-08-2019, 11:32 PM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Thank you for your kind words and compliments Jrtaylor, I appreciate it.

Sharky is uniquely configured. Got the Weissach Package. Configured from factory with no Aircon, no radio, have racing Nomex seats not leather, race spec'd. I heard there's only two configured like mine here in USA and less than ten worldwide. To me 918 Spyder is an engineering masterpiece and art. Car is abundantly made of carbon fiber and titanium. It is a game changer at the time it was launched alongside the LaFerrari and McLaren P1. Another plus side as you have indicated, it is the ticket to any Porsche model of the owner's choosing within ten years of the program. Working with a collector in adding a mint CGT to the stable.

Disappointed with the actual launch of the Speedster missing the center fuel door, Talbot side mirrors, new design rims, and few others. Undecided if I want PTS color or Heritage Edition. Configurator doesn't seem to work well with options right now.

Porsche, there is no substitute.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
I’m awaiting the update with the speedster at the end of the lineup; what color are you going for? Very impressive set of 991’s. And that one in the middle isn’t so bad either, especially given it was the ticket to the 991 collection!

Last edited by GT3RS-Fan1; 05-09-2019 at 12:06 AM. Reason: added paragraph
Old 05-09-2019, 01:16 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,829 Likes on 2,389 Posts

ya ^ u aren’t missing the hood fuel door. u will drip
fuel on hood and break ur back fueling

getting ready for luft 6

Old 05-09-2019, 03:32 AM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

The earlier Speedster from 50s were much smaller, so center hood fuel door wouldn't be that much cumbersome as oppose to the bigger and wider size of the 911. I am OCD so I would be very careful and strategic when fueling if it had the center hood fuel door. Agree it can be a pain in the back with this design when refueling but wouldn't mind as this is supposedly a pure summer sunny day car.

I think that center fuel door design from the initial prototype design not implemented in production, is due to fear of lawsuits as USA is a sue happy society in cases of personal injury, or damage (e.g., fire) to the car. Nevertheless it was a cool design and feature had it been part of the launch (real) car.

Talk about cool design, my first Porsche was a silver 72 914 (4-banger) in Manila. Unbeknownst to you, I had been admiring your silver 914. Cool car and stable of Porsches you got yourself.

Please post some pics when you go participate at Luft 6.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1

Originally Posted by mooty
ya ^ u aren’t missing the hood fuel door. u will drip
fuel on hood and break ur back fueling

getting ready for luft 6

Old 05-09-2019, 06:38 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Working with a collector in adding a mint CGT to the stable.

Talk about cool design, my first Porsche was a silver 72 914 (4-banger) in Manila. Unbeknownst to you, I had been admiring your silver 914.
I almost added that we need to get you hooked on an addition or two from outside the 918/991 era. CGT is a GREAT place to start (and end for that matter), unless you go AC. However, looks like you’ve been there before. For some reason, I thought 918 was your entrance into the Porsche world? I was off by over 40 years! I’ve yet to own a 914 (or a 918 for that matter!). Ahh, maybe my memory on the 918 starter kit is correct after all?? Was the 914 a VW outside of US?
Old 05-09-2019, 09:23 AM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

There are a handful P-Car nice-to-have, pre-918. I kick myself on hindsight now why I didn't buy it when it was available as brand new. CGT is at the top of the desired list without a doubt.

The first and only Porsche dealership in my old small country (Asia-Pacific) was formally launched in 2005. It was a "used" decade old 914 when I acquired it after college. It was authentic and imported from USA by previous owner at the time. I have to say the family owned six VW beetles in the 70s. After that 914 ownership experience, Porsche was ingrained in my mind after owning it for six years.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1

I almost added that we need to get you hooked on an addition or two from outside the 918/991 era. CGT is a GREAT place to start (and end for that matter), unless you go AC. However, looks like you’ve been there before. For some reason, I thought 918 was your entrance into the Porsche world? I was off by over 40 years! I’ve yet to own a 914 (or a 918 for that matter!). Ahh, maybe my memory on the 918 starter kit is correct after all?? Was the 914 a VW outside of US?
Old 05-09-2019, 10:46 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

I like your yellow jacket

Old 05-09-2019, 01:10 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 212 Posts

One of Mooty's fave restaurants I took him there in some nice alleyway. Bone marrow appetizer 😜.
Old 05-09-2019, 03:19 PM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

Thank you. I like it a lot too. My first taste of GT3RS was my 991.1, and from that time on, I was deeply hooked, lined and sinked in altogether. Thus my avatar and moniker.

As Muhammad Ali would say, "Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee."

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1

I like your yellow jacket

Old 05-09-2019, 04:18 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 1,047 Likes on 383 Posts

GT3RS-Fan1: Amazing collection of cars. Hats off to you!
Old 05-09-2019, 04:38 PM
br911
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

Was the 914 a VW outside of US? [/color][/quote]

I grew up overseas and the 914 was called the Volks-Porsche.
My uncle's neighbor had a lime green 914, and he was the king of the road - all the kids talked about seeing that car passing by. I suspect that car is partly responsible for this Porsche misery that I try to fight against.
Old 05-09-2019, 04:59 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,321 Likes on 614 Posts

Was the 914 a VW outside of US?
It was never a VW, but there is a lot of confusion around the lineage—some of it created by PR choices as well as media then and since.

Short of it is:
  • 914 and 914-6 were sold as Porsches in North America, and sold/serviced/supported by Porsche distributor/dealerships.
  • 914 and 914-6 were marketed as "VW-Porsche" cars elsewhere, which led to a lot of confusion.
In my view, the product always matters more than its marketing. And the 914 itself is far more Porsche than VW. While there is definitely some VW parts content (interior door handles, window winders, etc and, of course, the engine in the 914-4), the exterior styling, engineering, and development were handled by Porsche—with many of the same designers and engineers involved in the 911 and 912. The primary designer was Heinrich Klie, working under F.A. Butzi Porsche, the same designer credited for the original Fuchs wheel. I don't think Klie was happy with the design when it was frozen, given that he took a clay model home with him and kept messing with it. Not sure the world was ready for such a radical design departure from the 356/911 (and, frankly, so much else back then). Body/chassis was clean-sheet, front suspension and 901 transmission came from the 911/912 (with some mods), and the rear suspension was unique to the 914. Brakes were four-wheel discs all around and big for their time at 11 inches for the 914-4, while 914-6s got five-lug hubs with Porsche brakes up front and slightly different rears under Porsche wheels (steel, magnesium, or forged alloy).

Interesting to read br911's take on the 914...I have a friend who was in his 20s at the time and says he and his buddies viewed the 911 as "an old man's car" by 1970—but none of them could afford the 914-6, which they thought was off-beat and cool. I think the 930 changed all that, and he went on to own a 935 or three among other Porsches. As for me, I got stuck with a 914 in high school...it was in the garage, and the deal was I could drive it if I got it running and paid for the insurance. I didn't care for the styling back then, but grew to love the way it drove and it's funny how the way a thing works can affect your view of how it looks. I still have the car, 30 years later. It's funny where Porsches can take you…

Old 05-09-2019, 09:13 PM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

Thank you for your kind words and compliments. In like manner, your bike rides with Mooty et al. is appealing, especially the grilled food you post and share makes my mouth salivate!

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1

Originally Posted by ChrisF
GT3RS-Fan1: Amazing collection of cars. Hats off to you!
Thank you stout for chiming in about the topic VW-Porsche and sharing your historical knowledge on 914. My 72 914 was imported here in USA to Manila, Philippines. There were only two VW dealers during my time, and all Porsches were imported from USA. Car enthusiasts preferred the US version for the most part. VW dealers back then if they ever sold Porsche cars, they were imported mainly from the USA and some from Europe. They were never part of the VW dealer and not sold as VW-Porsche product. As stated on my previous post, it was only in 2005 when the first and only Porsche dealer was formally inaugurated.

Your red 914 is well kept and in great shape. I do enjoy reading your feedback and articles. How I wish I kept my 72 914.

Originally Posted by stout
It was never a VW, but there is a lot of confusion around the lineage—some of it created by PR choices as well as media then and since.

Short of it is:
  • 914 and 914-6 were sold as Porsches in North America, and sold/serviced/supported by Porsche distributor/dealerships.
  • 914 and 914-6 were marketed as "VW-Porsche" cars elsewhere, which led to a lot of confusion.
In my view, the product always matters more than its marketing. And the 914 itself is far more Porsche than VW. While there is definitely some VW parts content (interior door handles, window winders, etc and, of course, the engine in the 914-4), the exterior styling, engineering, and development were handled by Porsche—with many of the same designers and engineers involved in the 911 and 912. The primary designer was Heinrich Klie, working under F.A. Butzi Porsche, the same designer credited for the original Fuchs wheel. I don't think Klie was happy with the design when it was frozen, given that he took a clay model home with him and kept messing with it. Not sure the world was ready for such a radical design departure from the 356/911 (and, frankly, so much else back then). Body/chassis was clean-sheet, front suspension and 901 transmission came from the 911/912 (with some mods), and the rear suspension was unique to the 914. Brakes were four-wheel discs all around and big for their time at 11 inches for the 914-4, while 914-6s got five-lug hubs with Porsche brakes up front and slightly different rears under Porsche wheels (steel, magnesium, or forged alloy).

Interesting to read br911's take on the 914...I have a friend who was in his 20s at the time and says he and his buddies viewed the 911 as "an old man's car" by 1970—but none of them could afford the 914-6, which they thought was off-beat and cool. I think the 930 changed all that, and he went on to own a 935 or three among other Porsches. As for me, I got stuck with a 914 in high school...it was in the garage, and the deal was I could drive it if I got it running and paid for the insurance. I didn't care for the styling back then, but grew to love the way it drove and it's funny how the way a thing works can affect your view of how it looks. I still have the car, 30 years later. It's funny where Porsches can take you…

Old 05-10-2019, 02:20 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 996FLT6

One of Mooty's fave restaurants I took him there in some nice alleyway. Bone marrow appetizer 😜.
u can take me there agin
say Monday after I get back from luft.
you pay
I eat
sounds fair to me
Old 05-10-2019, 02:21 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by br911
Was the 914 a VW outside of US?
I grew up overseas and the 914 was called the Volks-Porsche.
My uncle's neighbor had a lime green 914, and he was the king of the road - all the kids talked about seeing that car passing by. I suspect that car is partly responsible for this Porsche misery that I try to fight against.[/QUOTE]
vw, porsche, I don't really care.
I came home from hospital birth In vw bug ;-)
front is mostly 911
and dare I say, makes 911 well.... ho hum....

Quick Reply: just got back, let's discuss value of porsches