Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New AP interview on GT3, PDK vs Manual etc.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 04:17 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by awew911
Ordered mine with PDK and PCCBs. Before first track event, going to swap out the front / rear rotors to Brembo steel and Race Technologies TS20's.

Buddy of mine did that on his 991 RS with PCCB.
To me this makes no sense!?!?!?!? If you will never run the PCCB, then just get the steels. Now if you want the steel Brembos, the amount you saved will easily pay for a few sets!!
Old 05-11-2017, 04:26 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHigh911
All this talk is non-sense. The biggest benefit to the PDK car owner will be that they can drive the car closer to the limit without being skilled with the third pedal. A very skilled 3 pedal driver, if driving the cars in similar manner, will likely be "slightly" faster in a PDK car. The unskilled 3 pedal driver would be noticeably faster in the PDK car. Trail braking and mid-corner shifting are areas where the 3 pedal car can not replicate like the PDK car. If a track has several corners where the manual car has to stay in a higher gear to not unsettle the car, where as a PDK car can downshift in the turn without upsetting the car, then on that track the PDK car has an advantage exiting the apex in a proper gear ratio. Removing the third pedal does allow for more time to process the information, and some people benefit greatly.
Bingo. Give this man a cigar
Old 05-11-2017, 04:27 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Ordered mine with PDK and PCCBs. Before first track event, going to swap out the front / rear rotors to Brembo steel and Race Technologies TS20's.

Then why get pccb? You are swapping to bigger and heavier rotors.
Old 05-11-2017, 04:48 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,142 Likes on 2,899 Posts

Originally Posted by qbix
Well if that is the case then tighter gears make no difference. But 5:1 gear changes speed would make a big difference.
Faster shifting does help, but not nearly as much as some think. The shift time does not directly add to your laptime (since the car is still traveling at high speed during the shift). You are only missing out on a tiny amount of acceleration that the PDK enjoys while the manual is coasting for a fraction of a second while shifting. That amounts to a tiny amount of laptime difference per shift.

And faster downshifts don't help laptimes at all on most tracks, since the manual is braking for longer than it takes to select a lower gear anyway.

The biggest benefit to PDK's shifting speed is with Turbocharged cars, since you don't lose boost during the shift as you do with the manual (taking your foot off the gas costs lots of time with a turbo, but not much with NA).
Old 05-11-2017, 05:10 PM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 281 Likes on 184 Posts

The RS with it's fender vents won't be limiting front down force when using larger rotors, but it will on yours, and the weight thing.

All this talk is non-sense. The biggest benefit to the PDK car owner will be that they can drive the car closer to the limit without being skilled with the third pedal. A very skilled 3 pedal driver, if driving the cars in similar manner, will likely be "slightly" faster in a PDK car. The unskilled 3 pedal driver would be noticeably faster in the PDK car. Trail braking and mid-corner shifting are areas where the 3 pedal car can not replicate like the PDK car. If a track has several corners where the manual car has to stay in a higher gear to not unsettle the car, where as a PDK car can downshift in the turn without upsetting the car, then on that track the PDK car has an advantage exiting the apex in a proper gear ratio. Removing the third pedal does allow for more time to process the information, and some people benefit greatly.
Sums the whole thing up in a nutshell, well done!
Old 05-11-2017, 05:15 PM
rave426
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG

The biggest benefit to PDK's shifting speed is with Turbocharged cars, since you don't lose boost during the shift as you do with the manual (taking your foot off the gas costs lots of time with a turbo, but not much with NA).
This is exactly what has me excited about the GT2 RS. As much as I love manual, I wouldn't dare get a manual on the new 2RS. Its been waiting for PDK for years. PDK is going to completely transform that car's drving behavior.
Old 05-11-2017, 05:32 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Remember AP is really a salesman
Old 05-11-2017, 05:51 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,880 Likes on 1,904 Posts

100% agree on this and I'm a PDK guy, largely because of leg problems, but also because it allows me to experience more of the performance of the car and do it more safely, particularly on the street. Truth be told, if my hip/leg was normal, I'd still own only a manual, simply because it is more enjoyable to me. But, being stuck with PDK, I find that the saving grace is that it makes me a better, safer driver and actually allows me to be more smooth and have more fun in the mountains. Driving my PDK C2S and my manual Spyder back to back in the mountains was like comparing two totally different supermodels with totally different talents, but loving them both.

My question for the manual owners is, given the rev match feature, do you all drive around with sport off and heel/toe it yourself? Seems like the rev match feature eliminates the need to be a great heel/toe talent anyway.

On a related topic, anyone catch the t-shirt Nick Murray was wearing in his recent YouTube video with his sister driving his car? Quite funny. I have a feeling some of you manual guys are going to want one.
Old 05-11-2017, 05:57 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Archimedes
My question for the manual owners is, given the rev match feature, do you all drive around with sport off and heel/toe it yourself? Seems like the rev match feature eliminates the need to be a great heel/toe talent anyway.
This is a feature I thought I'd never use on my GT4, but I have to confess to using it quite a bit. But it's such an easy things to switch on/off that there really is no downside. With it on, gives much of the advantage of PDK without losing the ability to go full manual with it off.
Old 05-11-2017, 05:57 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 441 Likes on 263 Posts

Thead closed

time for dog pictures
Old 05-11-2017, 06:53 PM
tqevo
Pro

Received 156 Likes on 88 Posts

I wonder if sport mode will offer anything beyond just rev matching... if I recall on the GT4 someone said it helps upshifts as well.
Old 05-11-2017, 06:57 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tqevo
I wonder if sport mode will offer anything beyond just rev matching... if I recall on the GT4 someone said it helps upshifts as well.

I believe it ONLY does rev matching. With the GT4, the big thing was that it changed the thermostat opening. Thus, if one wanted to heel/toe themselves at the track, the thermostat wasn't doing the "earlier" opening (as reported)
Old 05-11-2017, 07:09 PM
tqevo
Pro

Received 156 Likes on 88 Posts

I believe it ONLY does rev matching. With the GT4, the big thing was that it changed the thermostat opening. Thus, if one wanted to heel/toe themselves at the track, the thermostat wasn't doing the "earlier" opening (as reported)
I don't know if it was Macca or someone else but they basically said that sport mode helped upshifts in the GT4 by holding the revs and it produced a tangible lap time difference. Would assume it's the same behavior in the manual GT3 and 911R
Old 05-11-2017, 07:18 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tqevo
I don't know if it was Macca or someone else but they basically said that sport mode helped upshifts in the GT4 by holding the revs and it produced a tangible lap time difference. Would assume it's the same behavior in the manual GT3 and 911R
I think it will be same as GT4 here too...
Old 05-11-2017, 07:27 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,465 Likes on 764 Posts

I also believe it was proven that it also did some minor re-map of some sort. I may be wrong but I believe Jamie at Dundon might of mentioned this and if i am putting words in his mouth I apologize, in advance

Quick Reply: New AP interview on GT3, PDK vs Manual etc.