Any AMP Members?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 05:38 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

it just depends on the configuration of the track being to your liking. I never signed up for a membership until recently because I enjoyed the diversity
Old 01-04-2019, 01:48 AM
hughp3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by iammacey
Thank you. I have yet to experience the main track but have gone karting there.

Door to door I can be at AMP in 35 minutes. Road Atlanta is close to an hour and the drive sucks. So my thoughts are, on member days, I could setup and work, drive for a while, work, drive for a while, and so on. And I'm not into it to be competitive. More a safe place to push harder than the streets allow.
i am a member of AMP and Road Atlanta. Amp is a great ''drive when you want" membership. no run groups and very little traffic. i can have my speed fill in about an hour or two. amenities are first class. call and they will be happy to have you demo a day.
Old 01-04-2019, 06:34 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Only issue with AMP is it's a bit of a glorified go-kart track.. you can't really get going on it. On the other hand, maybe that's a good thing as hurting your car and crashing there is very tough. It's just a really nice small track with good elevation changes and good mix of turns. There is Only one turn before the front straight where you can really get some speed and load the suspension properly.. You can't compare it to road atlanta which is a big fast monster, but AMP is always accessible and less demanding. I don't live in atlanta anymore or I would have joined as it was a steal to get membership initially. I've only tracked there a few times, and have some fun video of my first time there. Apologies and disclaimers in advance for the terrible driving lines that day as we went out without instructor the session we filmed, but gives a decent idea of the track size and layout
Old 01-04-2019, 10:47 AM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 207 Posts

I really appreciate the feedback. Thank you.
Old 01-04-2019, 12:19 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Road Atlanta has a nice Clubhouse and the track is much nicer, if I had access to Road ATL, I wouldn't go to AMP.
Its just too tight for the most part.
Old 01-04-2019, 02:22 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 285 Likes on 178 Posts

To me joining a track membership is more than just how many times am I going to track in a year. For me I like the fact I can go to Monticello and not have to deal with somebody in a Z06 that just wants to see how fast he can go and drives like a maniac. It is a respectful track atmosphere where I can be comfortable I won't get run off the road. I feel its better/safer than a car club type track day. Yes it's not the best financial decision I have made, but it's enjoyable and I like it.

As it relates to AMP, the prices aren't horrible and if it's convenient it could work out well. Just buy extra tires for the right front of your car, you'll need them! Smokies before last I completely roasted the right front tire over maybe 4-5 sessions. With the sweeping left hand corners you get a lot of weight pushed onto that wheel and tire. It's a fun track. And the karting can be fun too with the right group of people.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:03 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,083 Likes on 621 Posts

I'm the OP and I joined AMP after speaking with a handful of members. I use it regularly and enjoy the heck out of it. Folks there are super nice, it's a casual environment and, for me, it's far more enjoyable than doing HPDE. I've recently added a membership in Driving Club at Road Atlanta to add diversity. I think the combo of those tracks and occasional HPDE at Barber, VIR, etc. will work well for me for a bit.

If anyone wants to have a detailed conversation about AMP feel free to PM me and we can chat.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:34 PM
bammb
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was invited to the night track day with The RA driving club and it was first class. I highly recommend them.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:55 PM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tstafford
I'm the OP and I joined AMP after speaking with a handful of members. I use it regularly and enjoy the heck out of it. Folks there are super nice, it's a casual environment and, for me, it's far more enjoyable than doing HPDE. I've recently added a membership in Driving Club at Road Atlanta to add diversity. I think the combo of those tracks and occasional HPDE at Barber, VIR, etc. will work well for me for a bit.

If anyone wants to have a detailed conversation about AMP feel free to PM me and we can chat.
Thank you for this. I will PM you for some additional details as well.
Old 01-05-2019, 12:35 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

Where do you stay when you go to VIR? That place is in the middle of nowhere.

Personally I like Barber A LOT and there are some legit decent places to eat there.
Old 01-05-2019, 09:02 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,083 Likes on 621 Posts

CJ - Family in Raleigh. Not close but easy.

iammacey - cool. We can set up a call if you want. I'll watch for your PM.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:13 AM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

VIR: Stay at the track. They have nice condos for rent there. Also the RdAtl Club has an association with the VIR club as I understand it.
AMP: Not a fan. It's a 3/4 track, no flow at all. Also my cars are too loud. I think the concept is great and the facilities and amenities are first class. However, the track stinks. It is designed for the single seat Radicals and the like, I'm sure the track is great in those types of track cars.
RdAtl: Arguably one of the best tracks in the SE. May look harder at their club options; but if the restrictive dates don't work it would be a poor financial decision and I'm full of those w/ the racing hobby and all..
Old 07-18-2020, 08:42 PM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

Hard to believe it's been over a year since I jumped in this thread.... But I did it. Officially joined AMP end of June. Today marked the fourth member day I've attended.

I did the Tungsten membership. So if any of you are there on all-member days, I'll likely be in the black Fiesta ST.
Old 07-20-2020, 10:55 AM
PhoenixINX
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

Now for us Nashville folks, we have NCM as the closest membership option... Been very tempted to register after getting the chance to drive a 458 on course.

Quick Reply: Any AMP Members?