Sponsored by:

GT3 Dealer Allocation Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 05:05 PM
needspeed
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
I doubt they can produce 10000 991.2gt3 in two years. But, I also doubt there will be a demand for 10000 cars WW?

991rs was released Geneva 2015 together with gt4,
They managed to make 5000RS during 1.5 years. Gt4 was probably easy to produce compared to all the CF and magnesium panels on RS.
991.2 will be the only street GT car until gt2rs or (gt4rs) is on the production line.

This time Porsche is ready. Let's just see how long the hype is there. Seems like very little patience by gt3/RS buyers. Smart to sit back and relax, enjoy what you got and spec one when the dust has settled. Likely in a year.
AP stated in one of the PistonHeads articles they have capacity for 4k GT cars/yr at the moment and won't be able to make 10k cars a year. Given these cars are money makers and there's no guarantee on limited production, it'd be foolish for the business to not find ways to make more. I remember the original .1GT3s were only going to run a year followed by the .1GT3RS, but additional demand extended the production of the car to 2+ years. No?
Old 03-13-2017, 05:07 PM
Loess
Three Wheelin'

Received 170 Likes on 90 Posts

With no other GT or special cars being built right now (at least that I know of) I don't see why they couldn't build 25 or more GT3's per day. There are no special steps or stops on the production line and no really limited supply parts like with the RS or R. That would be over 500 cars per month or around 8500 cars in 16 months. They may not start with that many but I don't see why they wouldn't ramp up to that or more.

I believe they aren't really sure what the real demand for the car is right now but they will get a good handle on it over the next few months.
Old 03-13-2017, 05:11 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 407 Posts

Needspeed: No. GT3s were going to built in 2014 and 2015. They added an extra few hundred 2016s which were not expected. RS was always going to be a one model year production run. Depending on who you believe, they either planned to build all through calendar 2016 but managed the perception of scarcity, or some amount was added towards the end to satisfy demand.
Old 03-13-2017, 05:27 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Loess
With no other GT or special cars being built right now (at least that I know of) I don't see why they couldn't build 25 or more GT3's per day. There are no special steps or stops on the production line and no really limited supply parts like with the RS or R. That would be over 500 cars per month or around 8500 cars in 16 months. They may not start with that many but I don't see why they wouldn't ramp up to that or more.

I believe they aren't really sure what the real demand for the car is right now but they will get a good handle on it over the next few months.
Bingo^

It's not a coincidence that the gt2rs will start production Q1 2018. It won't take up a lot of space from 991.2gt3 production but enough to complement. Porsche has left the line open for 991.2gt3. They knew it will be a homerun. And I think it is.

Think they where taken a little by surprise of the demand for 991rs and gt4 and that's why some issues with LWB early on. And a lot of RS towards end of production.
Old 03-13-2017, 05:29 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 711 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by SKY57
The deposit was made without guarantee allocation.
At that time, I was told for an RS car, I will need previous purchase history to be able to get it, which I understand. I was also told for a GT3, with such early deposit, I should have a pretty good chance.
Now the mighty new GT3 turned out to be a highly desirable car and I guess my deposit doesn't worth much anymore.
Called other Ontario dealership, got the same answer. Looks like I am not the only one then.
Coming from other brands, this is pretty frustrating to see Ferrari games are now played by Porsche.
If it makes you feel better, I've bought more than 25 depreciating P cars from the Toronto dealers over the last 15 years or so. I've also had a few that have appreciated.

I've had a deposit on this car for years and I'm sweating bullets wondering if I'm going to get an early 6 speed. I'm fairly confident, but you can't expect to come late to the dance and take home the prom queen.

Hang in there, P will make enough for you to get one. It just might not be one of the first.
Old 03-13-2017, 05:44 PM
SKY57
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamie140
If it makes you feel better, I've bought more than 25 depreciating P cars from the Toronto dealers over the last 15 years or so. I've also had a few that have appreciated.

I've had a deposit on this car for years and I'm sweating bullets wondering if I'm going to get an early 6 speed. I'm fairly confident, but you can't expect to come late to the dance and take home the prom queen.

Hang in there, P will make enough for you to get one. It just might not be one of the first.
Thanks man. I never expect to get the first/second/third batches. Just hope they will have my name called before the end of the production run.
Old 03-13-2017, 05:57 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,802 Likes on 2,167 Posts

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
I doubt they can produce 10000 991.2gt3 in two years. But, I also doubt there will be a demand for 10000 cars WW?

991rs was released Geneva 2015 together with gt4,
They managed to make 5000RS during 1.5 years. Gt4 was probably easy to produce compared to all the CF and magnesium panels on RS.
991.2 will be the only street GT car until gt2rs or (gt4rs) is on the production line.

This time Porsche is ready. Let's just see how long the hype is there. Seems like very little patience by gt3/RS buyers. Smart to sit back and relax, enjoy what you got and spec one when the dust has settled. Likely in a year.
+991 Everyone just needs to breathe and wait. You'll get your car.

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
Well I don't know how I'm gonna win the DE Championship in my Boxster, but I guess I'll give it the ol' college try!

#NeedGT3

Mark my words, as soon as the GT2RS and the GT3RS are released the GT3 is not be the new shiny toy that everyone wants. I know I'll get an allocation in 2018. Till then I'll keep tracking the GT4 and RS and save my pennies.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:02 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 227 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamie140

If you don't get one.. most of us are in trouble! LoL
Old 03-13-2017, 06:07 PM
Buddhamonk
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm surprised the histeria hasn't dissipated yet

Called my dealer yesterday to ask him to notify me when a CHALK panamera is in stock. I want to see that color in person before I decide to spec my GT3 that way

He told me that being #7 on the list he expects me to get a car mid 2018 (took them 2 years to deliver the 10 991.1 gt3 to all the buyers that wanted one). He wasn't worried at all about the supply of cars

Now if you are late to the game and you are #20 on the list, that's a different story...expect to pay a premium after a lot of phone calls to different dealerships
Old 03-13-2017, 06:17 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

There are also going to be those guys who've never owned a GT car who want one and then after they get one it's going to be too loud for them, too stiff for them, not enough storage space for them, or some other reason. So those cars will also come back to the market.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:19 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,164 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by Loess

Why would Porsche build more 'less profitable' cars than 'more profitable' ones?

GT cars have less options, and higher cost parts per car. The regular run of the mill 911s and 718s are more profitable.

Zuffenhausen is pretty much maxed out, they can only do ~270 cars a day. Remember, the 718 also shared that line, together with all the 911 variants, so not all 270 cars a day are 911s.

The GT3 engines are also much more specialized, takes longer to build and check.

The bucket seats are also from a supplier, which Porsche have no control of how many can be made a day.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:21 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 294 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
There are also going to be those guys who've never owned a GT car who want one and then after they get one it's going to be too loud for them, too stiff for them, not enough storage space for them, or some other reason. So those cars will also come back to the market.
I'm a guy who's never had a GT car but wants one but you'll have to pry mine out of my cold dead hands if they let me buy one.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:37 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
Why would Porsche build more 'less profitable' cars than 'more profitable' ones?

GT cars have less options, and higher cost parts per car. The regular run of the mill 911s and 718s are more profitable.

Zuffenhausen is pretty much maxed out, they can only do ~270 cars a day. Remember, the 718 also shared that line, together with all the 911 variants, so not all 270 cars a day are 911s.

The GT3 engines are also much more specialized, takes longer to build and check.

The bucket seats are also from a supplier, which Porsche have no control of how many can be made a day.
Why? Easy...because they aren't selling very many of those "more profitable" 718s and 911s.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:40 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Exactly! They can make all the 911 Turbos and 718s they want- I am not buying one.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:03 PM
ChicagoM4
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mcsmcs1
Exactly! They can make all the 911 Turbos and 718s they want- I am not buying one.
If you take a look at their latest US press release for sales figures (attached), caymans and boxsters are ~40% of overall production at Zuffenhausen. Of the 9k-10k 911s (60%) the majority are not GT cars... maybe only ~2-3k per year?? Who really knows. It's up to you to assume if this can be extrapolated to RoW... China may sell more Caymans/Boxsters etc...

Point is, it's easy to think that everyone want the new GT3 since it just debuted and we are on Rennlist in the GT section. Reality is, your typical guy or gal that walks into a Porsche dealership will most likely walk away with a non-GT car.

Quick Reply: GT3 Dealer Allocation Thread