Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New GT3 engine article?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 07:00 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 211 Likes on 94 Posts

This is nothing new regarding their race engines. I think the reference was that the engine, as a whole, is the preview as to what is going in the next GT3.

In theory, it would be a way to reliably extract more HP at higher RPM's though....
Old 01-30-2017, 07:22 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
I'm still unsure you could do it without dropping the engine.
I'd bet my house there's not enough space in there to remove cam covers and adjust valves. Heck, it'd be a challenge to even get past removing the bolts. Therefore, it's extremely unlikely Porsche would make such a move on a modern car IMO. We'll find out soon enough. Anyway, assuming no solid lifters, I'm not sure we can assume since the race engines went the distance, the lubrication issues on the GT3 engines is cured, since those obviously don't need hydraulic lifters (rebuilt every 100 hours at best). And as these last few threads discuss, it seems to be a major consideration. I also thought the main reason the new engines didn't last like the Mezgers were the extra rpm, but some folks argued they still fail even when not revved past 8,500. That being the case, why not go back to the Mezger design? Interesting to find out exactly what's new on the upcoming .2 engines.
Old 01-30-2017, 07:29 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by elp_jc
I'd bet my house there's not enough space in there to remove cam covers and adjust valves. Heck, it'd be a challenge to even get past removing the bolts. Therefore, it's extremely unlikely Porsche would make such a move on a modern car IMO. We'll find out soon enough. Anyway, I'm not sure we can assume since the race engines went the distance, the lubrication issues on the GT3 engines is cured. For starters, it's almost certain the race engines do NOT have hydraulic lifters. Why would they, if they need to be rebuilt every 100 hours at best? And as these last few threads discuss, it seems to be a major consideration. I also thought the main reason the new engines didn't last like the Mezgers were the extra rpm, but some folks argued they still fail even when not revved past 8,500. That being the case, why not go back to the Mezger design? Interesting to find out exactly what's new on the upcoming .2 engines.
Mezger engines are much more complex with a lot more moving parts (40% if I remember correctly). When compared side by side, a Mezger engine feels somewhat unwilling to rev compared to 9A1 because of less moving mass in the latter. I am sure it is also a lot cheaper due to produce a 9A1 due to less moving components. Mezger had its day and it was time to develop a replacement.
Also, Mezgers require more frequent rebuilds in race apps, almost twice as often (50 hrs of racing if I remember). So the operating cost is much higher to run a Mezger.
Old 01-30-2017, 08:08 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
Need not worry about the .2 gt3 engine and hopefully need not worry about the .1 engine (meaning they'll take care of us after warranty).
Maybe wishful thinking on my part but I get the sense they do understand what it is going on and what we expect. The fact that emphasis is being given to reliability issues in connection with the "next" engine is indicative that they are fully aware. A good lawyer will tell their client not to admit guilt if they don't have to.
Old 01-30-2017, 08:28 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Just in time
Maybe wishful thinking on my part but I get the sense they do understand what it is going on and what we expect. The fact that emphasis is being given to reliability issues in connection with the "next" engine is indicative that they are fully aware. A good lawyer will tell their client not to admit guilt if they don't have to.
Thank you for inquiring.
Old 01-31-2017, 06:00 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Just in time
Fair statement but they are hardly going to indicate the status quo are they?

Lets face it, the nose bleed has been long, red and free flowing with regards to the MA175.

They have been making reliability improvements since the E engine. First with newly coated DLC followers, new rings (less smoke on start up) and re calibrated valve springs on the F engines then with upgraded heads improving lubrication with up-rated oil pump, re calibrated ECU, and filter on the RS and GT3 (G) engines. For the last of the RS and the 911R run they introduced further design ratification to the heads and introduced DLC coated cam lobes.

The race engines run a lower limiter than the 991.1 GT3. They appear tuned for toque not outright power (cam profiles, ECU etc). They have fairly rigid service intervals (although this has been improved on the latest generation). I think its way to early to assume they are reliable. After all you could take a showroom new 991.1 GT3RS out to Daytona 24 hrs and I wouldnt expect it to throw a cylinder miss fire code at the end. With the series of production amendments to the MA175/6 we likely already have an engine good for 100 track hours at full chat. Some owners such as Peter (Trakcar) are already getting up there and they arent exactly hanging around on the track.

Ive said it before and will do so again, any marketing rehtoric we are fed at the 991.2 GT3 lancuh in a few weeks time needs to back up by a technical sales document (as was available for 991.2 Gt3 and prior generations of GT3/RS but strangely dissapeared by the time the 991.1 GT3RS was launched) that clearly outlines what changes have been made. Only then can we read teh document and discount all the "its 80% new" rehortic relating to the running production changes for this engine already mentioned and accounted for above.

Im on the list and would dearly like to believe they have made fundamental and guaranteed changes to the new 991.2 GT3 that removes any future possibility of premature valvetrain wear, but short of backing down the rev limit (which they will do0 and throwing some AP marketing fairy dust over the presentation, I really honestly believe that what we get is what we already got, perhaps with a couple of mild revisions, yet unknown in terms of their ability to remedy. The 991.2 GT3 was signed off 6 months ago, the drive train and core hardware likely 12 months ago, the last revisions to the MA175/6 engines happened with the "G2" variant engines fitted to the 911R around 7-8 months ago. If they had cards to play they already played then on the 911R G2 engine. All IMO and happy to be made a liar.

I have no cleaning lady since she was hung drawn and quartered after the last engine debacle back in 2014 which I was actively involved with from the perspective of representing the interests of those awaiting compensation and assurance. For me the 991.2 GT3 looks like this (and we will know soon enough):
  • 4.0L 8600 rpm 343lbft 495PS
  • MT/PDK options. Im assuming MT option will be cheaper with LWFC option for MT box bring cost to similar as PDK option. Overall 7-8% price increase like for like spec to 991.1 GT3
  • Improved front and rear downforce (25mm higher rear spoiler, more front splitter/bumper surface area)
  • Mechanical LSD on MT option
  • Improved EPAS steering feel
  • Calibrations to RWS
  • Calibration changes to PDK maps
  • Similar weight for PDK and 40lb deduction for Mt with LWFC
  • Updated PCM 4.0
  • Same wheel and tyre dimensions as outgoing 991.1 GT3
  • Ring time 7.20 (PDK)
  • 0-100 kmph in 3.3s (0.1s improvement for PDK only).

There. I said it. Slay me with the sword in a few weeks time ;-)

Last edited by Macca; 02-01-2017 at 01:56 AM.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:59 AM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 227 Likes on 130 Posts

^Yummy.. I will take it!
Old 01-31-2017, 09:37 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

• 4.0L 8600 rpm 443lbft 495PS
  • MT/PDK options. Im assuming MT option will be cheaper with LWFC option for MT box bring cost to similar as PDK option. Overall 7-8% price increase like for like spec to 991.1 GT3
  • Improved front and rear downforce (25mm higher rear spoiler, more front splitter/bumper surface area)
  • Calibrations to RWS
  • Updated PCM 4.0
  • Ring time 7.20 (PDK)

Macca, I'm assuming you meant 343lbft, not 443lbft?
Old 01-31-2017, 10:26 AM
CDinSing
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 75 Posts

Macca,
Agree with your prediction (w/ lower torque number). The changes have been tested and specifications for subcontractored parts signed and parts ordered. Time has been too short and money to dear to have any other answer. They will no doubt spin the announcement to make it a grand improvement. Otherwise, no reason to stand in line waiting to buy one.
Old 01-31-2017, 10:42 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Lets face it, the nose bleed has been long, red and free flowing with regards to the MA175.

They have been making reliability improvements since the E engine. First with newly coated DLC followers, new rings (less smoke on start up) and re calibrated valve springs on the F engines then with upgraded heads improving lubrication with up-rated oil pump, re calibrated ECU, and filter on the RS and GT3 (G) engines. For the last of the RS and the 911R run they introduced further design ratification to the heads and introduced DLC coated cam lobes.

The race engines run a lower limiter than the 991.1 GT3. They appear tuned for toque not outright power (cam profiles, ECU etc). They have fairly rigid service intervals (although this has been improved on the latest generation). I think its way to early to assume they are reliable. After all you could take a showroom new 991.1 GT3RS out to Daytona 24 hrs and I wouldnt expect it to throw a cylinder miss fire code at the end. With the series of production amendments to the MA175/6 we likely already have an engine good for 100 track hours at full chat. Some owners such as Peter (Trakcar) are already getting up there and they arent exactly hanging around on the track.

Ive said it before and will do so again, any marketing rehtoric we are fed at the 991.2 GT3 lancuh in a few weeks time needs to back up by a technical sales document (as was available for 991.2 Gt3 and prior generations of GT3/RS but strangely dissapeared by the time the 991.1 GT3RS was launched) that clearly outlines what changes have been made. Only then can we read teh document and discount all the "its 80% new" rehortic relating to the running production changes for this engine already mentioned and accounted for above.

Im on the list and would dearly like to believe they have made fundamental and guaranteed changes to the new 991.2 GT3 that removes any future possibility of premature valvetrain wear, but short of backing down the rev limit (which they will do0 and throwing some AP marketing fairy dust over the presentation, I really honestly believe that what we get is what we already got, perhaps with a couple of mild revisions, yet unknown in terms of their ability to remedy. The 991.2 GT3 was signed off 6 months ago, the drive train and core hardware likely 12 months ago, the last revisions to the MA175/6 engines happened with the "G2" variant engines fitted to the 911R around 7-8 months ago. If they had cards to play they already played then on the 911R G2 engine. All IMO and happy to be made a liar.

I have no cleaning lady since she was hung drawn and quartered after the last engine debacle back in 2014 which I was actively involved with from the perspective of representing the interests of those awaiting compensation and assurance. For me the 991.2 GT3 looks like this (and we will know soon enough):
  • Calibrations to RWS
  • Updated PCM 4.0
  • Ring time 7.20 (PDK)

The manual transmission is 30 kg(66 LBS) lighter than pdk. The LWFW is not part of the transmission,it is bolted to the engine,thus making it " part of the engine ". So the difference in weight between manual and pdk will be significant.
Old 01-31-2017, 12:19 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

• Calibrations to RWS
  • Updated PCM 4.0
  • Ring time 7.20 (PDK)

If its a 4.0L from the RS/R that's 80% different right out of the box right there. Different internals as to matrials, differernt heads, valve train coating, oiling.

It is not a solid lifter engine. Its hydraulic.

Porsche is always improving. Do you think the 992 engines won't be touted as improved over the 991.1 and 991.2?

Even the Metzger had its issues with cyclinder scoring and oil starvation at times as I understand I believe there were some issues with vario cams on the 997.2 GT3s also.

Its an engine. There is always going to be something especially those subjected to sustained hard use.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:36 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca;13923772
The 991.2. For me the 991.2 GT3 looks like this (and we will know soon enough):
[LIST
[*]4.0L 8600 rpm 443lbft 495PS[*]MT/PDK options. Im assuming MT option will be cheaper with LWFC option for MT box bring cost to similar as PDK option. Overall 7-8% price increase like for like spec to 991.1 GT3[*]Improved front and rear downforce (25mm higher rear spoiler, more front splitter/bumper surface area)[*]Mechanical LSD on MT option [*]Improved EPAS steering feel[*]Calibrations to RWS[*]Calibration changes to PDK maps [*]Similar weight for PDK and 40lb deduction for Mt with LWFC[*]Updated PCM 4.0[*]Same wheel and tyre dimensions as outgoing 991.1 GT3[*]Ring time 7.20 (PDK)[*]0-100 kmph in 3.3s (0.1s improvement for PDK only).[/LIST]
I basically agree with most of this, however after asking around in Daytona about engine size I could not get any answers, but the body language of those I asked make me wonder if it really will be 4.0.

I don't know if they can tune a 3.8 to produce 490-5 hp w/o blowing a hole in budget but that would be a good target. I would also expect some weight reduction of the car as a whole. Given that demand is nearly insatiable and the ridiculous premiums being paid I would expect 9-10% price increase.
Old 01-31-2017, 10:38 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,781 Likes on 4,774 Posts

The MT 991.2 GT3 cars will come with no wing.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:04 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
The MT 991.2 GT3 cars will come with no wing.
I personally don't think they will offer this so as to keep the R the only MT without a wing.
Old 02-01-2017, 01:58 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
Macca, I'm assuming you meant 343lbft, not 443lbft?
Oops. Yes, my bad, I have corrected that now...

Quick Reply: New GT3 engine article?