Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

McLaren Success

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2018, 10:04 AM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 280 Likes on 102 Posts

I paid $450K+ for my Voodoo 675lt spider. I haven’t lost a cent because I didn’t sell it yet. If I ever sell it then I will see. But I did fine on my 675 coupe, 650 spider, my 12C was a wash because I got dollars from the mother ship.

I make money doing my job and I am not looking for my hobby to further my income. It cheaper than divorce.
Old 12-22-2018, 10:10 AM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,260 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer

I read that. No car I know of depreciated $100k in 3 months.
I hear you. Listen- I totally agree with your post. It’s spot on. No one likes to lose money. Not me- not you. And we all know Mclarens will depreciate as will other cars. But I bought my car at a price I deemed fair for the market. I knew going in that over the next 18-24 months car will come down further. It’s not that I don’t care, it’s that I don’t let it keep me up at night.

The constant mclaren bashing gets tiring. It’s usually from people who just have never driven the car or likely are in no position to own the car. Not taking about you as your post was very fair and appropriate. Cheers.
Old 12-22-2018, 10:21 AM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 208 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Yippiekiaye
Pic didn’t upload

Originally Posted by Yippiekiaye

im dead serious. Please provide a link as it would be a good buy at that price.

Thx

I’ll play...
I like McLaren. I have a 600LT coming. Thought about getting a 720s instead. At $300k plus, virtually all cars take a bloodbath at resale if driven. FWIW, here’s a link to a $345k msrp 720s (looks similar to yours). 2018, 3500 miles, asking $287k. Nearly $60k off msrp. https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing If taxes are factored in, that’s nearly $90k in a few months. Maybe I’ll pick one up next year after the 600LT. But having learned the hard way over the years, there are very few cars I now buy new. Best to buys most 1 year to 18 months preowned (cpo or equivalent), save most of the depreciation, and drive the sh*t out of it. That said, with the amount of miles I like to drive, the 600LT may lose just as much. We can’t cover the sun with one finger, but I’m prepared for it.
Old 12-22-2018, 10:25 AM
ChicagoWhale
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 20 Posts

Here's a pre-owned one at $60K off MSRP. They're not easy to find because most listings don't show the original MSRP, so you don't know the relative discount.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2018-McLare...gAAOSwi1lcFs1F

Nonetheless, this dealer has had it for sale for just two weeks, so it's not distressed, old-age inventory. If his asking price is $60K off right out of the starting gate, surely you could negotiate $70K off. Knowing that, what do you think the wholesale number was?

Furthermore, there are 25 of them for sale on Cars.com that are either under $300K or within $5k of it. Many of them with a couple hundred miles.

$100k OFF may not be here today, but it's certainly around the corner sometime in 2019.

Take any one of the dozens of 2018 GT3, GT3RS, or GT2RS's for sale... all of them are still MSRP or higher (or even much higher) and the owners get the same enjoyment from driving them as any McLaren driver.
Old 12-22-2018, 10:34 AM
ChicagoWhale
Racer

Originally Posted by fastmd
I paid $450K+ for my Voodoo 675lt spider. I haven’t lost a cent because I didn’t sell it yet. If I ever sell it then I will see. But I did fine on my 675 coupe, 650 spider, my 12C was a wash because I got dollars from the mother ship.

I make money doing my job and I am not looking for my hobby to further my income. It cheaper than divorce.
Tell that to Lehman Brothers; unrealized losses are still losses, regardless if sold or not.

It's not a function of trying to make money on your hobby. It's a matter of not being a masochist when it comes to your checking account.
Old 12-22-2018, 10:37 AM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 227 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by fastmd

#respect
Your 675 LT is a beauty..
Old 12-22-2018, 10:41 AM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 227 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by ChicagoWhale
Tell that to Lehman Brothers; unrealized losses are still losses, regardless if sold or not.

It's not a function of trying to make money on your hobby. It's a matter of not being a masochist when it comes to your checking account.
It's obvious he doesn't care.. So the question is why are you so concerned with his paper?.. Let it go, you sound bitter and jealous in each post you make in this thread.
Old 12-22-2018, 10:48 AM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 280 Likes on 102 Posts

All my cars can go to zero, everything burns down, its just material ****. As long as my family is ok I don’t give AF.

My checking account will be fine.

My cars, watches, guns, all my toys are play money. I worked a long time before I started writing checks.

Thanks for for your concern though.

Happy Holidays.
The following users liked this post:
MiamiBlue (12-16-2020)
Old 12-22-2018, 10:56 AM
ChicagoWhale
Racer

Originally Posted by RealityGT
It's obvious he doesn't care.. So the question is why are you so concerned with his paper?.. Let it go, you sound bitter and jealous in each post you make in this thread.
It's a simple, civil conversation about McLaren depreciation, and two sides of that argument are being discussed. I don't see a problem with it.
Old 12-22-2018, 10:57 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Some work for money, others make money work for them. A $100k wad is an “employee” — one that works hard for you for free, doesn’t complain, needs no health insurance, causes no trouble. Think twice before you “murder” one by flushing him down the toilet, regardless of how many you already have in your “employment”. Didn’t say never do it, just think harder about what you’re doing.
Old 12-22-2018, 11:09 AM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Here's a pre-owned one at $60K off MSRP. They're not easy to find because most listings don't show the original MSRP, so you don't know the relative discount.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2018-McLare...gAAOSwi1lcFs1F

Nonetheless, this dealer has had it for sale for just two weeks, so it's not distressed, old-age inventory. If his asking price is $60K off right out of the starting gate, surely you could negotiate $70K off. Knowing that, what do you think the wholesale number was?

Furthermore, there are 25 of them for sale on Cars.com that are either under $300K or within $5k of it. Many of them with a couple hundred miles.

$100k OFF may not be here today, but it's certainly around the corner sometime in 2019.

Take any one of the dozens of 2018 GT3, GT3RS, or GT2RS's for sale... all of them are still MSRP or higher (or even much higher) and the owners get the same enjoyment from driving them as any McLaren driver.

serial number 413. It’s an 18 month old car. Likely an early demo. 60k off msrp after 18 months.

still looking for that elusive 100k off msrp after a few months.
Old 12-22-2018, 11:13 AM
richk
Drifting

Received 879 Likes on 364 Posts

I agree Porsche GT cars depreciate slower than Macs or Lambos...but who really cares.

Buy what you like drive it...then rinse and repeat.
Old 12-22-2018, 11:26 AM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GT3

I’ll play...
I like McLaren. I have a 600LT coming. Thought about getting a 720s instead. At $300k plus, virtually all cars take a bloodbath at resale if driven. FWIW, here’s a link to a $345k msrp 720s (looks similar to yours). 2018, 3500 miles, asking $287k. Nearly $60k off msrp. https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing If taxes are factored in, that’s nearly $90k in a few months. Maybe I’ll pick one up next year after the 600LT. But having learned the hard way over the years, there are very few cars I now buy new. Best to buys most 1 year to 18 months preowned (cpo or equivalent), save most of the depreciation, and drive the sh*t out of it. That said, with the amount of miles I like to drive, the 600LT may lose just as much. We can’t cover the sun with one finger, but I’m prepared for it.
One year old car with 3500 miles on it. Yup it came down in price as expected. But nothing close to 100k in a few months.

Congrats on the i coming 600lt. What color did you choose?
Old 12-22-2018, 11:27 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Some work for money, others make money work for them. A $100k wad is an “employee” — one that works hard for you for free, doesn’t complain, needs no health insurance, causes no trouble. Think twice before you “murder” one by flushing him down the toilet, regardless of how many you already have in your “employment”. Didn’t say never do it, just think harder about what you’re doing.
A 100k employee is also a liability who might crash a company vehicle. Someone might sexually harass a coworker who ends up suing you. They Could slip and fall and be due lots of medical bills, bankrupting an umbrella policy...

The above scenarios are unlikely. BUT- Chit happens, so yes I really like your employee/wad. I would like more information, perhaps a pamphlet in PDF.
Old 12-22-2018, 11:42 AM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by richk
I agree Porsche GT cars depreciate slower than Macs or Lambos...but who really cares.

Buy what you like drive it...then rinse and repeat.
this.

Quick Reply: McLaren Success