Sponsored by:

991.2 GTS, GT3, GT2, GT3 RS, Mission E - Update

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 04:16 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,090 Likes on 2,338 Posts

Originally Posted by chaosoul
Haha. Actually many people have this misconception. If you pick the right cars, at right time, with right options, a lot of non-GT Porsche cars doesn't depreciate much at all. I go through many new non-GT Porsche per year, and I can tell you most of them took less depreciation per year than your Prius
I put 25k-30k miles on my Prius per year, no Porsche could handle that kind of mileage a year and not depreciate like a rock. I'm sure my Prius is probably worth a bag of peanuts today but the freaking thing just keeps going with only gas, oil changes, and one set of tires after 90k miles so I'll drive it until it implodes.
Old 04-17-2017, 04:47 AM
chaosoul
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
I put 25k-30k miles on my Prius per year, no Porsche could handle that kind of mileage a year and not depreciate like a rock. I'm sure my Prius is probably worth a bag of peanuts today but the freaking thing just keeps going with only gas, oil changes, and one set of tires after 90k miles so I'll drive it until it implodes.

Oh you would be surprised then haha.

What if I told you, you can change a new car every 6 months and put 12k miles on it, and it will depreciate $1000-$2000

Never service, never change anything.
Old 04-17-2017, 05:08 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 441 Likes on 263 Posts

this purism is the most stupid misconception
of the last 20 years

if i was Porsche with this kind of market madness
i would ask 250k MSRP for a basic .2 GT3..

smone should have said
if i hear the word purism
i put my hand on my gun...
Old 04-17-2017, 05:17 AM
ChicagoWhale
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 20 Posts

Porsche won the 2017 KBB Award for Best Resale Value for a Luxury Brand:

https://www.kbb.com/new-cars/best-re...ds/best-brand/
Old 04-17-2017, 06:19 AM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 233 Likes on 152 Posts

Oh you would be surprised then haha.

What if I told you, you can change a new car every 6 months and put 12k miles on it, and it will depreciate $1000-$2000

Never service, never change anything.
I'm curious, what models do you pull this trick with? (perhaps worth it in a no sales tax state, I can't imagine it's worth it in CA though)
Old 04-17-2017, 06:46 AM
chaosoul
Pro

Originally Posted by Yargk
I'm curious, what models do you pull this trick with? (perhaps worth it in a no sales tax state, I can't imagine it's worth it in CA though)

There are a quite a lot of models you can do it with. Its all about timing and the right models / options. How to spot it I won't be sharing here.

Why won't it worth it in California? As long you're one of the 44 states that doesn't have to pay lease sales tax upfront, you're good.

If you did a zero down lease, and you only pay less than $300 sales tax total over first half year, then you sell the car. Interest will be minimal for the 5 payments you made in 6 months. All you care then it how much you bought it for vs how much you sold it for (yes, you can sell a car directly out of a lease without paying rest of tax).
Old 04-17-2017, 12:35 PM
80s
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Haha. Actually many people have this misconception. If you pick the right cars, at right time, with right options, a lot of non-GT Porsche cars doesn't depreciate much at all. I go through many new non-GT Porsche per year, and I can tell you most of them took less depreciation per year than your Prius
Offtopic:
Since 2014 ive bought three (3!) brand new audi rs6s, driven, sold havent lost a euro doing it, quite satisfied with those deals.

Ontopic:
When will they announce the laptime for the .2 gt3??? It was said april, its april!!!
Perhaps this is what the white manual was for at brunnchen??
Old 04-17-2017, 03:18 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

There are a quite a lot of models you can do it with. Its all about timing and the right models / options. How to spot it I won't be sharing here.

Why won't it worth it in California? As long you're one of the 44 states that doesn't have to pay lease sales tax upfront, you're good.

If you did a zero down lease, and you only pay less than $300 sales tax total over first half year, then you sell the car. Interest will be minimal for the 5 payments you made in 6 months. All you care then it how much you bought it for vs how much you sold it for (yes, you can sell a car directly out of a lease without paying rest of tax).
I'm really curious which non GT Porsches will only lose $2000 after 12,000 miles.
Old 04-17-2017, 05:30 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by drdonger
I'm really curious which non GT Porsches will only lose $2000 after 12,000 miles.
You need to buy well below msrp to make that happen right?
Old 04-17-2017, 06:19 PM
chaosoul
Pro

Originally Posted by drdonger
Originally Posted by mcsmcs1
You need to buy well below msrp to make that happen right?

Yea well below msrp but not impossible ones. Discounts that are really high but still manageable to get for regular customers.

You just gotta make sure the option is right and buy and sell at right points.

To give you an example, I'll give you a more obvious one that most people know already. The 981 Boxster Spyder. I know a lot of people will say the spyder is basically a GT car, perhaps, but I'm just giving you an extreme example now, there are a lot of other non-GT cars that will work out this way too, since other non-GT cars are prone to even higher discount.

Then Boxster Spyder allocation just came out, there wasn't any waitlist at a lot of dealers; sure, some dealer had high demand because just so happen the same 3-5 people that want it called the same dealer. but many dealer had just wide open allocations. Seen some dealers gave some decent discounts on the allocation orders. If you optioned it light, after small discount your purchase price would be a low 80s. Guess how much your car is worth after 12k miles when 90% of country's inventory is asking between 104k to 120k? You'll get least what you paid for it.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:28 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,379 Likes on 838 Posts

Yea well below msrp but not impossible ones. Discounts that are really high but still manageable to get for regular customers.

You just gotta make sure the option is right and buy and sell at right points.

To give you an example, I'll give you a more obvious one that most people know already. The 981 Boxster Spyder. I know a lot of people will say the spyder is basically a GT car, perhaps, but I'm just giving you an extreme example now, there are a lot of other non-GT cars that will work out this way too, since other non-GT cars are prone to even higher discount.

Then Boxster Spyder allocation just came out, there wasn't any waitlist at a lot of dealers; sure, some dealer had high demand because just so happen the same 3-5 people that want it called the same dealer. but many dealer had just wide open allocations. Seen some dealers gave some decent discounts on the allocation orders. If you optioned it light, after small discount your purchase price would be a low 80s. Guess how much your car is worth after 12k miles when 90% of country's inventory is asking between 104k to 120k? You'll get least what you paid for it.
That is an extreme example. That is in the 911R ballpark realm so to speak.

How about a regular one. That was the basic premise; wasn't it? Otherwise hindsight is always 20/20.

P.S.
Buying the 981 Spyder for low 80s with light options and then stating 90% are now going for $104k+ with 12k miles is also misleading without listing the comparison options included.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:42 PM
chaosoul
Pro

Originally Posted by ExMB
That is an extreme example. That is in the 911R ballpark realm so to speak.

How about a regular one. That was the basic premise; wasn't it? Otherwise hindsight is always 20/20.

P.S.
Buying the 981 Spyder for low 80s with light options and then stating 90% are now going for $104k+ with 12k miles is also misleading without listing the comparison options included.

Yea as I said its an extreme example. It doesn't matter what options are included, if your goal is to sell it for less than 2k depreciation, you will get at least 79k out of a Boxster Spyder regardless of what option is on it.

I'll give you one last example, and trust me there are many others examples. Back in March 2016, if you got the very first batch of Macan GTS, and you built it yourself just black on black with one option: Apple Car play, your msrp is 69,030. 2017 model now included back up camera, PCM, Lane Departure, and GTS comes with heated seats, air suspension, 20", sport exhaust, leather package, black PDLS, and more. It is sufficient for any resale. I've seen more than 3 people got 7% discount at 3 different dealers on the first 2 production batch. That makes your purchase price $64,200. 65k if you include acquisition fee. If you drove that 10k miles in the first 6 months as mentioned above, you're at September/October of 2016, and your car is still a 2017 model. Average auction price and trade in value then is around 68k for a Macan GTS with 5k miles. You'll be able to get at least 62k out of it, which makes it a 2k depreciation (most likely you'll actually get more than that to break even to 1k depreciation).
Old 04-17-2017, 06:42 PM
Loess
Three Wheelin'

Received 178 Likes on 96 Posts

I think you would need to buy a 1 year lease return off of someone privately to hold that much value. Not really an option for most people unless you know very wealthy people who like to change out cars every year and don't want the hassle of selling.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:49 PM
chaosoul
Pro

Originally Posted by Loess
I think you would need to buy a 1 year lease return off of someone privately to hold that much value. Not really an option for most people unless you know very wealthy people who like to change out cars every year and don't want the hassle of selling.

Nope you won't need to. If you do it right, you can buy the cars brand new first owner from dealers, and you don't even have to sell it privately. Sell it back to Porsche, sell it to CarMax, done deal. Its not one of those hopeful wishing ones where you hope to sell your car at top dollar privately by listing the car couple months. I'm running super conservative numbers when I'm saying listing prices are 104k-120k but you just want to sell it for 79k, 25k under retail price? super easy to dump it same day.

If you look at some of the examples above, it can be done. You need a very in-depth knowledge of how new cars depreciate as new models come out, supply increases, model year changes, and how color and option on your car affects the resale. And mostly important how to structure your purchase option, terms, interest, lease, finance etc.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:50 PM
ChicagoM4
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Yea as I said its an extreme example. It doesn't matter what options are included, if your goal is to sell it for less than 2k depreciation, you will get at least 79k out of a Boxster Spyder regardless of what option is on it.

I'll give you one last example, and trust me there are many others examples. Back in March 2016, if you got the very first batch of Macan GTS, and you built it yourself just black on black with one option: Apple Car play, your msrp is 69,030. 2017 model now included back up camera, PCM, Lane Departure, and GTS comes with heated seats, air suspension, 20", sport exhaust, leather package, black PDLS, and more. It is sufficient for any resale. I've seen more than 3 people got 7% discount at 3 different dealers on the first 2 production batch. That makes your purchase price $64,200. 65k if you include acquisition fee. If you drove that 10k miles in the first 6 months as mentioned above, you're at September/October of 2016, and your car is still a 2017 model. Average auction price and trade in value then is around 68k for a Macan GTS with 5k miles. You'll be able to get at least 62k out of it, which makes it a 2k depreciation (most likely you'll actually get more than that to break even to 1k depreciation).
Sounds like the premise is to buy a model very early in the production (so that it is still very relevant when selling ~6 months later), very low options (or only key, high ROI options), lease, and to negotiate for a reasonable discount.

I would bet the people picking up the new panny right now will be able to limit depreciation like Chaosoul is talking about if they sell after 6 months or so.

Quick Reply: 991.2 GTS, GT3, GT2, GT3 RS, Mission E - Update