HANS and LWB Fail

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 04:41 PM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by James-GMG
David,

I had the same issue and I can't even drive my RS with the LWB's and Hans in use. I ended up switching the seats out to the new Sparco setup and I love it! Way more comfortable than the LWB's and the back ARTICULATES for adjustment, which makes it the perfect seat to use for both street and track as my driving positions are different accordingly.

See the seat pics in this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...-progress.html

Attachment 1103607
James, is there any work around for the airbag light or do we just have to accept that? And when we plug the factory seats back in, will the light go away or is a dealer reset required ?
Old 10-31-2016, 04:51 PM
Mika911
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

On a different thread it is suggested that you can fairly easily remove the head rests. Have not tried yet, but that would be a great solution if true.
Old 10-31-2016, 05:03 PM
James-GMG
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 115 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by nxfedlt1
James, is there any work around for the airbag light or do we just have to accept that? And when we plug the factory seats back in, will the light go away or is a dealer reset required ?
The Airbag light will stay on but once you reinstall the factory seats, we can reset that light with our Porsche factory PWIS Tester.

James F. Sofronas | President & Owner
Global Motorsports Group ™
E: james@gmgracing.com
P: +1 (714) 432-1582
F: +1 (714) 432-1590
A: 3210 South Shannon Street, Santa Ana, California 92704
W: gmgracing.com
Old 10-31-2016, 05:47 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,560 Likes on 666 Posts

I switched from HANS to Schroth Flex and am very happy with the fit in the seat and comfort on my shoulders. I tried NecksGen (same reasons) but didn't like it.

I asked a friend to right seat recently and he has the tall HANS CF Pro model. It had some edges that might be a bit rough where the screws go in. I put a couple small pieces of gaffer's tape over those areas (with his permission) and didn't need to worry about my seat back head rest.

If you haven't see the LWB seat head rest covers that are being introduced by Crazy Eddie you should take a look. It could be an alternate solution if you can live with the head position. At least it would protect the seat. Ed is a new RL sponsor and I'm attaching photos of his covers. The one with the "tail" was made for a RL'er and is specific to the Simpson device. Attached are photos and here's a link to the bolster cover thread with Ed's contact info:
https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/9579...er-covers.html

This is a prototype so please don't judge it from the picture. The bolster covers I received are OEM leather and OEM thread for contrast stitching, and of great quality. I assume Ed's headrest cover will be made to similar standards and he specifically stated it will be OEM leather/thread. I have no affiliation to Ed other than being a satisfied customer.

In my Cayman R I had the seat track shimmed up in front so the seat tilted back. This changed my seating position and helped with the HANS issue.
Attached Images  
Old 10-31-2016, 05:48 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Can only add one photo at a time
Attached Images  
Old 10-31-2016, 06:11 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

David. The solution I think is to use the Nextgen restraint system. Its a HANS alternative, very good, SFI approved (IIRC) and infact has some advantages over the HANS (allowing for some rotation) nut most of all its very light, and very seat friendly (no screws or burnishes that will rub on leather or plastic). Ive been using it 3 years along with the majority of our restraint wearing private track group (70 members).

very pleased with this system and I believe it will work for you as it has for a few of our LWB owning GT3/4 guys.
Attached Images    
Old 10-31-2016, 10:44 PM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
David. The solution I think is to use the Nextgen restraint system. Its a HANS alternative, very good, SFI approved (IIRC) and infact has some advantages over the HANS (allowing for some rotation) nut most of all its very light, and very seat friendly (no screws or burnishes that will rub on leather or plastic). Ive been using it 3 years along with the majority of our restraint wearing private track group (70 members).

very pleased with this system and I believe it will work for you as it has for a few of our LWB owning GT3/4 guys.
Thanks Macca. Yes this looks similar to the Schroth SHR, low profile. I think I will try one of these HR before switching seats out. Adding a little rake will also help for general comfort too, so a seat bracket will the option to tilt back the seat bottom up some would be helpful.
Old 11-01-2016, 04:15 AM
neuroguru
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

At the time I published articles on the topic, only about 50 people in the world literature had survived atlanto-occipital dislocation (AOD). A couple were my patients. I had to give expert testimony on one. He was a child who suffered locked-in syndrome secondary to AOD and support was withdrawn by the family and he passed away.

I urge everyone to use head and neck restraint systems. Most people that suffer this injury die on the spot, are locked-in, or comatose and quadriplegic.

These devices do a good job of mitigating AOD as well as other cervical spine injuries that may result in spinal cord injuries and quadriplegia.

If you're on track, I urge you to wear a 6-point harness with a head-and-neck restraint device. Schroth makes a great 8-point harness that secures a HANS to the shoulder belts with supplemental belts, as well.

I find the forward rake from the LWBs on my helmet too much, not to mention the additional forward rake created by a HANS unit. The LWBs are convenient for street/track use, but really not as safe as a dedicated race shell with halos / lateral head restraints. I am a big fan of the Recaro P1300. It's a very rigid, comfortable seat. If you want a seat with removable LHRs for street use consider the Sparco Ergo.
The following users liked this post:
carbondan (10-11-2020)
Old 11-01-2016, 09:42 PM
Fast Doc
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can someone tell me if you need a HANS with the sofa seats and no harness?
Old 11-01-2016, 10:29 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 634 Likes on 389 Posts

I use the Necksgen that Macca mentioned. Works like a charm with the LWBs!
Old 11-01-2016, 11:55 PM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast Doc
Can someone tell me if you need a HANS with the sofa seats and no harness?
negative, you need a harness for a true hans type device to work. The shoulder straps are what will anchor the device to your torso in the event of an impact. I believe there is a simpson product that works with an over the shoulder belt, but I have 0 knowledge of it. Hans with a shoulder only belt does nothing...or next to nothing.
Old 11-02-2016, 01:11 AM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Fast Doc - here is a link to the Simpson Hybrid Pro. They have a few different models that work with 3 point seat belts. Several friends use them and are very satisfied. I'll probably get one for next season (for when I instruct in cars without harnesses).

http://simpsonraceproducts.com/hybrid/hybrid-pro-lite/

I think Simpson does not recommend their hybrid for use with harnesses but I didn't find anything upon quick review of their site.

The product is designed for men, and Simpson will custom make it for women (I will need custom as their standard will not work for me.). I don't want to assume your gender.

I have no affiliation with Simpson. I attended their seminar given by Trevor at an instructor training last April. It was very informative, and once you watch the research videos on Simpon's or HANS' web site you'll be convinced that head/neck restraint is the way to go. I don't recall if Schroth also shares videos on their site but I've seen enough to know I will not get in a car on track without head/neck restraint.

Neuroguru- re the 8 point by Schroth - I bought them for this season and unfortunately learned that it requires a minimum height and/or torso length. I didn't have enough adjustability to allow proper fit. We figured out that I was too short (5'4") - but it could work for someone my height if more of their height is in the torso, rather than legs. I'd encourage anyone considering the 8 pt to call Schroth and discuss how it'll work with your measurements. We were also told it does not work with Schroth FLEX, but should work with HANS. Didn't ask about necksgen since I don't own one.
Old 11-02-2016, 03:17 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 726 Likes on 397 Posts

Actually, that version of the Simpson Hybrid Pro IS NOT the one that is certified for use with 3-point restraints. OK, it's not certified, it's 'compatible' with 3-point restraints. It's this one that is compatible:

http://simpsonraceproducts.com/hybri...lt-compatible/

It extends further down the back and has a more robust chest strap. (which I am told women do not like at all) It is similar to the old Simpson R3. It also comes with a seat pad that I think has a central cutout for the back portion of the device. The other versions of the Hybrid Pro are not advertised to be of any use with 3-point restraints. At least not on the Simpson web site.
Old 11-02-2016, 09:32 AM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Dr.Bill
Tx for the correction. I chose first one that popped up on the site without spending time to read through each.
As for women - the front vertical straps need to be longer so the horizontal strap sits just below the breasts. I have one girlfriend wearing the men's version. She is petite and the compression on her chest is not uncomfortable. It depends on how one is built.
Old 11-02-2016, 08:16 PM
Fast Doc
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys for the information. Its just that neuroguru made me nervous.

Last edited by Fast Doc; 11-02-2016 at 09:17 PM.

Quick Reply: HANS and LWB Fail