Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GMG - Porsche GT3RS Project Car (new parts in progress)

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 08:45 PM
gmgracing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 436 Likes on 260 Posts
Default GMG - Porsche GT3RS Project Car (new parts in progress)

GMG - Porsche GT3RS Project Car

Global Motorsports Group thrives under the moniker of “we race what we sell,” and the latest iteration of that heritage comes in the form of our latest project car, the all-new Porsche Porsche 911 GT3 RS. Taking what we’ve learned through not only our years of competition in IMSA and the Pirelli World Challenge, GMG most recently clinched the 911 GT3 Cup championship in the Pirelli World Challenge, solidifying the team’s reputation as second-to-none in engineering, enhancing, and maintaining Porsche machinery.

While our current project car is an ever-evolving piece, performing as our test mule for the very enhancements we sell to our customers, below is our current progress on vehicle updates.

STAGE ONE: Long-Tube Headers and Exhaust

The current-gen RS 4.0L engine is one of the most powerful road-going naturally-aspirated engine in the history of Porsche, and in-such, a complete re-thinking in approach to enhancement was critical in our latest series. Closely evaluating our race program, we’ve suffered zero mechanical failures in both our Porsche Cup and GT3 R machinery, and in such we felt it was the right time to cross over the data we’ve gleaned to produce a new street-car header upgrade.

Our all-new headers are designed for one thing: performance. With a proprietary approach to how we’ve manufactured the headers, the most significant gains come in the mid-range of the engine, maximizing both horsepower in torque in the area of the engine that drivers will use the most. We’ve used high-quality 200-cel cats and retained the side-pipes to keep the car usable on the street while still offering very real power gains for the track.

These headers are at the tail-end of development and will be available soon. Sound clips and dyno graphs will be released at that time.

We added GMG’s WC-GT Exhaust Center Section, to the package, which work in symphony with the headers to get free up the exhaust flow as efficiently as possible. This center section is precisely TIG-welded and specifically shaped to be proportionate to the bumper cutout.

They also helps in creating GMG’s distinct snarl that allows our Porsche's to stand out.

STAGE TWO: Wrap, Wheels, Aero Pieces

Of course as a vehicle for the street, we want to make sure that style matches performance, and in such we put on several pieces that added to GMG’s signature look and reputation as providing beautiful machinery.

Of course GMG signature-blue is something that always stands out in a crowd, and for our GT3 RS it was a no-brainer to replicate the same look we have on our race cars. Working closely with Southern California’s top vehicle wrap company, a close look at the car will show just how thorough and exact the process was.

Putting attention to our wheels, we looked no further than the BBS FI-R, which not only compliments our aesthetic, but brings an excellent balance of weight and rigidity allowing our cornering performance to be even more on point.

Knowing that small details are always the touch that really allows our vehicles to stand out, adding the AWE Air Foiler to create a smoother airflow and performance aesthetic.

STAGE THREE: Brake, Pad Upgrade

Our brake packages serve as track-friendly upgrade.

The Brembo two-piece rotors create a powerful, reliable kit that allows for maximum stopping power without any risk of overheating or fade. Of course, the system is only as good as the pads, which is why we chose our race-proven Race Technology RE10 Brake Pads.

STAGE FOUR: Seat, Harness, Roll Bar

Of course safety should always be non-compromising, but it doesn’t mean you can’t still opt for style.

We started with newly-released Sparco SPX seats. So new in fact, that we are the first to have these carbon-backed seats stateside. Each seat and base combination is an impressive 32lbs lighter than the stock 18-way adjustable seat. That represents a 64lbs savings overall.

With GMG’s seat base, the SPX mounts right into the RS. It is a great compromise for those who find the LWB’s uncomfortable but do not want to have the weight penalty that comes with the 18-way SOFA seats.

Additionally, we’ve inserted out well-proven LMS harness and roll bar, which has proven to be a workhorse for a number of our vehicles that spend a lot of time on the track. The GMG LMS Bar mounts to strategic points in the 991 chassis. The front two arms mount directly to the rear bulkhead while the rearward arms are lashed directly on top of the rear strut mounts.

Lastly we mounted our Schroth 6-point Profi-II Harness.

STAGE FIVE: Track

After a GMG alignment it was time for James to take the car to the track. Over the course of this last weekend’s Pirelli World Challenge races at Laguna Seca, the car was drive by James and Alec Udel.

List of parts so far:

Engine/Drivetrain
-GMG LongTube Headers (prototype)
-GMG WC-GT Center Section

Wheels/Brakes/Suspension
-Brembo 2-piece rotors front/rear
-Race Technologies RE-10 Brake Pads
-BBS FI-R Wheels
-GMG Track Alignment and Corner Balance

Interior/Safety
-GMG LMS Harness/Roll Bar
-Schroth 6-point Profi-II Belts
-GMG Seat Bases
-Sparco SPX Carbon Seats

I will update this over the next few months with some footage, new releases, and plenty of fun things!

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to shoot me an email.

-Andrew Adams
a.adams@gmgracing.com

Old 10-13-2016, 09:37 PM
SupremePower
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,355 Likes on 796 Posts

Now THIS is incredible! Love it guys!!!

World's Largest Retailer/Distributor of BBS Motorsport & Street Wheels from 2015-2023
Huge Inventory: BBS, Kline, Brembo, Soul, Recaro, KW, Akrapovic & 200+ brands. Installation available
** Retail & Wholesale ** Global Delivery ** We match/beat any authorized dealer's price **

SupremePower.com // SupremeForged.com // Follow SupremePower on IG

Old 10-13-2016, 10:04 PM
Mdrnenzo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can I use my Sharkwerks cat back that I already have on car with your headers? Your heads look great!
Old 10-14-2016, 09:44 AM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 136 Posts

Those seats look incredible. It appears they recline? What kind of price are they? I may need a set.
Old 10-14-2016, 01:34 PM
gmgracing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 436 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by SupremePower
Now THIS is incredible! Love it guys!!!
Thank you! Time for the ride-alongs.

Originally Posted by Mdrnenzo
Can I use my Sharkwerks cat back that I already have on car with your headers? Your heads look great!
If you are referring to their center section, then yes. These headers use the stock mounting points/connections, so any system that adheres to the same methodology should be compatible.

Originally Posted by -eztrader-
Those seats look incredible. It appears they recline? What kind of price are they? I may need a set.
The SPX seats do recline. We have already equipped a few other 991's with these, and have several more sets incoming. If you are interested, by all means shoot me an email, and I will let you know the details.

-Andrew
a.adams@gmgracing.com

sales@gmgracing.com
www.gmgracing.com

facebook l instagram l youtube l twitter

Porsche | Audi | Ferrari | Lamborghini | McLaren
Performance Tuning | Motorsport | Factory Service

Pirelli World Challege Race Team GT/GTA/GTS/TC
Pirelli GT3 Cup Trophy USA
Porsche Motorsport — Audi Sport Customer Racing — Lamborghini Super Trofeo Series

Last edited by gmgracing; 10-14-2016 at 01:59 PM.
Old 10-15-2016, 12:49 PM
James-GMG
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 111 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by -eztrader-
These seats are perfect, enough side bolstering for the track but way more comfortable than the LWB's, and with the reclining option, it's the best of both worlds!

They are approx $3K per seat plus mounts, etc.....best seat on the market for their intended purpose.....!

James F. Sofronas | President & Owner
Global Motorsports Group ™
E: james@gmgracing.com
P: +1 (714) 432-1582
F: +1 (714) 432-1590
A: 3210 South Shannon Street, Santa Ana, California 92704
W: gmgracing.com
Old 10-15-2016, 12:56 PM
Nick Yoskin
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice James.

what are the diameter of those primaries? Look like 2"
Old 10-15-2016, 01:04 PM
James-GMG
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by AC SATCO
Nice stuff James, thanks for sharing
Thanks!!
We just did another full day of testing with our RS as well as several others and I cannot say enough about this car, such a nice setup up from the GT3, although the GT3 was no slouch!
Old 10-15-2016, 01:33 PM
James-GMG
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The RS is just made for the track!! Everyone loved our track day as this is where the RS belongs and with the new Trofeo R tire with the 20/21" now available, it's the ideal setup!
Attached Images  
Old 10-15-2016, 01:53 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 261 Posts

Awesome build. Sorry for the stupid question but can you explain to me what the differences between the types of roll cages: LMS, RSR, & WC cage?

thanks.
Old 10-15-2016, 10:29 PM
porscheflat6
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 147 Posts

Looks great!!!
Old 10-16-2016, 01:32 PM
0-60 freak
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so using your headers / 200cel cats and center section pipes we will still retain our factory side mufflers and valves?
Old 10-16-2016, 08:29 PM
James-GMG
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 0-60 freak
so using your headers / 200cel cats and center section pipes we will still retain our factory side mufflers and valves?
That is correct, we wanted to maintain the modularity of our system so the new Long Tube Motorsport headers could be used with the stock side mufflers and the GMG Rear Center section, or anyone else's center section for that matter, even OEM. And for the hard core track warrior, we have new side muffler deletes coming out as well, stay tuned for announcement.

The new headers are complete magic, the biggest gains are in the low end torque, just like with PMNA was trying to achieve with the GT3R race car setup. (Final Dyno'ing to take place this week with results to be posted shortly thereafter) Torque is KING when on the track and that's what we specialize in. We had 5 RS' out at Thermal on Friday and there was a noticeable different in the low end grunt of my car at 4K rpms vs the others as I was the only one testing these new headers and I drove a few of the other cars which some of them had just our center section or our . And to top if off, we ran a 2:13.9 on Trofeo R's on the 5th lap ever with the new setup and that is pretty damn quick.....not far off a similar RS with the 19" Hoosier setup. I also think the OEM wheel/tire size works wonders with the Trofeo R's on the car of the same size, the balance was just right but the overall grip improvement was tremendous! Good timing as we have 10 more sets of the 20/21 Trofeo R tires coming into GMG in the next week or so....

Honorable mention goes to these new Carbon backed, reclinable seats from Sparco, the are perfect for the street/track combo setup!! My back is very happy vs the LWB's!

Pic below is of the seat pulled forward for access to the rear of the car and check out the beautiful carbon.....!

[ATTACH]

[/ATTACH]
Attached Images  
Old 10-16-2016, 08:45 PM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 33 Posts

don't forget the brembo brakes package; amazing too!
Old 10-16-2016, 08:47 PM
James-GMG
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Laguna_Dude
don't forget the brembo brakes package; amazing too!

Good call GA!! Without those upgraded pads and rotors, the car just wouldn't have the same stopping power or brake feel/consistency.....!

Quick Reply: GMG - Porsche GT3RS Project Car (new parts in progress)