Sponsored by:

2016 Viper Green RS Factory Visit and Delivery

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 10:42 AM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 53 Posts
Default 2016 Viper Green RS Factory Visit and Delivery

Lots of deliveries lately it seems, but I was very excited to see my RS in the flesh at the end of June at the factory.
Some history on timing - I ordered my PTS RS early last year after putting down my name a few years ago with my dealer. It has been a great experience working with Matthew Henry at Porsche Exclusive and then Melissa Witek after Matthew left. Both did a great job and assisted with my design and execution of my selected custom CXX options.
I arranged a factory visit at the end of June to see my car in Porsche Exclusive and "assist" with some of the final touches - they let me help install the custom illuminated sills, as well as pose with the steering wheel before they installed it and the custom exterior side decals. The Exclusive program is terrific and every detail was executed perfectly to my order/wishes. The Exclusive team is very thorough and nailed it. My wife, who is not terribly interested in my hobby of cars and Porsche, was very impressed and enthusiastic with our visit and the two days we spent at the factory.
Here are some pictures taken before our visit as our car was awaiting the final Exclusive steps, as well as some pictures we took in Exclusive during our visit.
After the visit, we rented a 991.2 Targa 4S from Porsche Drive (at the factory) and had a 10 day road trip through Europe. Was very, very fun.
We opted to air freight the RS home to California so it should be here any time. It takes some time to crate the car up and get it ready for customs/airport transfer and hopefully the timing works out perfectly! Should see it soon.
Here are some pictures from our visit.
Jeff
Attached Images           
Old 07-05-2016, 10:44 AM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Default Some more pictures...

Here are some more pictures of our journey/visit....
Attached Images         
Old 07-05-2016, 11:04 AM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JCBH
After the visit, we rented a 991.2 Targa 4S from Porsche Drive (at the factory)
very cool! beautiful car.

a bit more info on renting the car...is this something Porsche does in house or is it a third party rental firm?
Old 07-05-2016, 11:14 AM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GuyIncognito
very cool! beautiful car.

a bit more info on renting the car...is this something Porsche does in house or is it a third party rental firm?
Hi - It is done through Porsche directly at the factory, via their Porsche Drive division. It is located in the museum lobby on the left, right by the restaurant. They are awesome, and the car was perfect. The whole process was very simple - all was per quote and seamless. It is one of the few rental car companies that you KNOW you will get what is requested...I was very particular that I wanted a 991.2 Targa 4S with PDK (so the wife could drive - she did not end up driving) but they confirmed all of this before our trip. The car was very, very new, and in perfect shape.
Pick up and drop off is done at the museum itself, in the outdoor courtyard area in front of the museum. Here are a couple of pictures where we picked it up/dropped it off. And no, the RS is not available to rent (I asked when we dropped off the Targa).
Attached Images   
Old 07-05-2016, 11:17 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

wow, beautiful and love the subtle decals.
congrats and hope the car arrives soon.
Old 07-05-2016, 11:18 AM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 391 Likes on 128 Posts

What a fabulous experience. Congratulations!
Old 07-05-2016, 11:25 AM
odwa
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

Congratulations, a beautiful experience for you and your wife!
Old 07-05-2016, 11:26 AM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
wow, beautiful and love the subtle decals.
congrats and hope the car arrives soon.
Haku: "What a fabulous experience. Congratulations!"

Thanks, guys. It was epic and really first class by Porsche. Recommend doing Euro delivery to anyone who has the time...we are planning on a Panamera Turbo road trip/euro delivery next summer. Road-tripping in Europe is so easy and a great way to see the sites. We drove from Stuttgart to Berlin (Autobahn is insane - typically drove 235 kph) - the roads are so smooth and drivers are very courteous and sporty. We were highly impressed.
From Berlin (after a 2 day visit) we went to Dresden (to see some sites) then to Prague...after a few days, we headed to Vienna, then to Munich. After Munich, we dropped the car off at the factory and then took a train to Paris for three days, then home.
Was a really special experience, and I cannot get over what a first class operation Porsche is. Every detail and every minute was planned and at the same time they were flexible if we wanted to veer somewhere else for a short time. Factory and museum tours are great. I preferred the factory over the museum...so neat to see the 991 R's and RS, as well as 718's being assembled. The CF fenders for the RS arrive painted in a crate awaiting install. Also neat to see Targa roofs/mechanisms installed. Very organized and so neat to watch.
Another interesting tidbit I mentioned elsewhere - the leather interior on the RS/R/GT3 is actually LIGHTER than the plastic stock interior...so all of the people that think they are building a hot rod by skipping those luxurious and stylish options are wrong!
Old 07-05-2016, 11:36 AM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Viper is a spectacular color on this car. Congrats. You'll have to give us the low down after being inside Exclusive, I almost didn't believe that they took complete cars and modified them but no doubt now.
Old 07-05-2016, 11:38 AM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Congrats on the excellent experience and a beautiful RS!

Originally Posted by JCBH
drivers are very courteous and sporty. We were highly impressed.
Yes, that's called normal driving in pretty much the rest of the world. Having picnics with sandwiches in the left lane seems to be a strictly american sport.
Old 07-05-2016, 11:38 AM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for letting us tag along on your trip! What a fun and amazing visit!
Old 07-05-2016, 11:47 AM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lessthan3mph
Thanks for letting us tag along on your trip! What a fun and amazing visit!
Thanks - was easily the most fun vacation/adventure we have had. Normally we are on beaches or by a pool...this was way more fun. My wife is a great sport and was worried she would be bored but she ended up loving it. Her favorite was Exclusive and the custom ideas...we also had custom luggage made by the factory...this was their first using this vendor and we matched the interior of our RS...love the way it turned out. Leather/alcantara with yellow stitching/piping. Interior is the same...
Attached Images   
Old 07-05-2016, 12:29 PM
gmgracing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 436 Likes on 260 Posts

Congratulations, thank you for posting your story. I would much rather read this than the morning news.

Interesting to see that the CF fenders come painted, they must be confident in their paint matching. I have never noticed any difference in any of the RS's that have come through here.

sales@gmgracing.com
www.gmgracing.com

facebook l instagram l youtube l twitter

Porsche | Audi | Ferrari | Lamborghini | McLaren
Performance Tuning | Motorsport | Factory Service

Pirelli World Challege Race Team GT/GTA/GTS/TC
Pirelli GT3 Cup Trophy USA
Porsche Motorsport — Audi Sport Customer Racing — Lamborghini Super Trofeo Series

Last edited by gmgracing; 07-05-2016 at 03:53 PM.
Old 07-05-2016, 01:00 PM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gmgracing
Congratulations, thank you for posting your story up. I would much rather read this than the morning news.

Interesting to see that the CF fenders come painted, they must be confident in their paint matching. I have never noticed any difference in any of the RS's that have come through here.
Thanks, and yeah - was neat to see the crates with the CF fender pairs stacked vertically - with three crates side by side...we saw the Lava fenders - neat to see.
Old 07-05-2016, 01:24 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 98 Posts

I'd be interested in hearing more on why the leather interior weighs less.

Originally Posted by gmgracing
Have plastic bumpers been painted elsewhere all along? Not much different if that is the case.

Quick Reply: 2016 Viper Green RS Factory Visit and Delivery