Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Being a "one car" guy vs. building a stable

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 09:08 AM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm happy where I'm at. Having an Airport Car (550), Wife's car, Big truck for hauling stuff including kids, GT Car, and a race car.... When I find the $$ and space at our house I'll add a McLaren, but that is hard to justify considering I only drive the RS 2-3k/yr. However, before that I'm shopping for a Plane. SR22. For work travel and to take the family places, fast. Time is money any more it seems. It's a time machine and a fun passion, like fast cars. But a plane the family can enjoy and It'll buy time.

Last edited by 007DT; 05-09-2016 at 10:45 AM.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:21 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by tasman
Tried to go down the lift route for more space but wife said "if you need a lift you have too many cars". Who am I to argue?
Lift was an easy sell with my wife, it's for safety honey!
I do most of my wrenching and my wife was never comfortable with me under the car at late hrs. Between her and the girls, there is little they could do if there was an incident.
Safety always sells
Old 05-09-2016, 09:47 AM
Leica 993
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have to much of anything it starts to own you (time & maintenance) and it removes the fun and the passion, or at least it did for me.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:55 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

I am limited by garage space and my wife. I could add a lift to accommodate a second toy which would be ideal and can not see past more than (2) because do not have the time. I have a 6 year old and he is my only child. Between work and travel I need to be a better Father and need to spend more time with him. My Wife also runs a Company so we both are always on the run. We have (2) Nannies and it is easy to make excuses. My Wife is great and very supportive but She is correct that I only put on 3000/4000 miles per year on (1) toy why do I need another. When My Son heads off to College one day I think I will then add a second toy. I am also a little crazy and try to keep things simple. I only have one cologn because I hate chosing between two. I am kind of like this with most things which is why I am happily married. - do not have time for another Women and would be to hard to chose
Old 05-09-2016, 10:42 AM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I find little to no joy in owning cars.

I find much joy in driving cars.

I can only drive one car at a time.

And that's exactly how many I own.
You have a great point.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:49 AM
RCMA991
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive tried it all with my fleet. I only have a 3 car at the house so I leased a private garage until that 2500 sq ft spot filled up. Then I opened a 10k sqft shop that consisted of a tech and a detailer to manage my cars. I try to pick a flavor and drive that for a week and swap out the next week. This process has worked well but I am 25 minutes from my garage which is a buzz kill. So, my ultimate goal is to build a new garage with stackers. Still trying to ease the wife into killing as few trees as possible in the build.
The best scenario for me, I think, is a well-sorted garage build next to my house so I can enjoy the stable.
I wish I could just enjoy 3 cars, let alone 1. But that ain't gonna happen!
Old 05-09-2016, 10:50 AM
A418t81
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 106 Posts

I can see both sides of the argument. On one hand, it's fun to have a choice each morning, and on the other, it seems a bit silly to have more than one play thing and one daily driver (other than an additional utility vehicle, like my truck). In my case, the 997TT is paid for and I have a lot more money in it than I could sell it for. It also has a decidedly old school feel compared to the 991, and it's blindingly fast for such few modifications. I don't think I could replicate it ever again, especially for the same amount of cash...so I think it will become the first of the collection.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:09 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

Jimmy-D that is very insightful on a personal level and I applaud you.

I got some very sage advice recently from a friend of mine in regards to accumulation of cars.

He said- "just keep the stuff you have, it's really the best stuff available now. If it truly is awesome, buying new or slightly used is the cheapest you will ever get it. So no need to chase the collector guy who has been at it 20 years more than you, just add what you think is a perfect car every once in a while and before you know it, you'll be old with an amazing collection and smiles and memories of each one"
Old 05-09-2016, 11:24 AM
RCMA991
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Jimmy-D that is very insightful on a personal level and I applaud you. I got some very sage advice recently from a friend of mine in regards to accumulation of cars. He said- "just keep the stuff you have, it's really the best stuff available now. If it truly is awesome, buying new or slightly used is the cheapest you will ever get it. So no need to chase the collector guy who has been at it 20 years more than you, just add what you think is a perfect car every once in a while and before you know it, you'll be old with an amazing collection and smiles and memories of each one"
Well said.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:46 AM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

5 cars: 2 car garage

not a good ratio

luckily, I have a friend with a huge race shop and cold and warm storage on either side of the shop where all 3 sports cars stay in the winter, but it's 25 minutes away, so not convenient to swap cars quickly in the summer

Last edited by kfmcmahon; 05-09-2016 at 03:45 PM.
Old 05-09-2016, 12:25 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
I feel we had this silly Wisconsin discussion before. The land of sunshine is calling! Doesn't have to be Cali either

My problem is my wife is an enabler. She likes cars. Never says no to a car idea. I have to use the restraint.

Because like many here... Space is the biggest issue. If I had mooty space it would be fcf.
You are probably right about the Wisconsin discussion. Unfortunately my employment is not easy to transfer to some place warm and sunny or I would do it. Hopefully in a few years!
Old 05-09-2016, 12:26 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by RajDatta
Lift was an easy sell with my wife, it's for safety honey!
I do most of my wrenching and my wife was never comfortable with me under the car at late hrs. Between her and the girls, there is little they could do if there was an incident.
Safety always sells
I tried the I can "save" money by doing my own work but did not fly. I must be a poor salesman I'll have to try the safety thing. Thanks for the tip.
Old 05-09-2016, 12:45 PM
osu s2k
Rennlist Member

Received 193 Likes on 103 Posts

My problem is i built a bigger separate attached/detached garage and now started to fill it up....this is why i built my wife closet a little smaller than she thought she needed.
Old 05-09-2016, 01:14 PM
Jpacione
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Exactly my struggle, and I have 4 kids 14 and under, down to age 4. Lots of one on one rides! But it's hard to find time to drive just one fun car much less more, with work, travel, and family. I really want a GT350R though! My car guy inner voice (demon?) is constantly arguing with my guilty conscience over balancing car stuff with family time since I have so little free time. Your comments helps re-enforce my thinking for a one fun car limit. For now. :-)

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
I am limited by garage space and my wife. I could add a lift to accommodate a second toy which would be ideal and can not see past more than (2) because do not have the time. I have a 6 year old and he is my only child. Between work and travel I need to be a better Father and need to spend more time with him. My Wife also runs a Company so we both are always on the run. We have (2) Nannies and it is easy to make excuses. My Wife is great and very supportive but She is correct that I only put on 3000/4000 miles per year on (1) toy why do I need another. When My Son heads off to College one day I think I will then add a second toy. I am also a little crazy and try to keep things simple. I only have one cologn because I hate chosing between two. I am kind of like this with most things which is why I am happily married. - do not have time for another Women and would be to hard to chose
Old 05-09-2016, 01:29 PM
autobahnA8
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 007DT
...However, before that I'm shopping for a Plane. SR22. For work travel and to take the family places, fast. Time is money any more it seems. It's a time machine and a fun passion, like fast cars. But a plane the family can enjoy and It'll buy time.
^^this. With a busy schedule, an airplane has allowed us to share more quality time and experiences together as a family, shortens distances and lets you easily visit extended family.

But it also magnified our car habit - as we now keep cars different places so one is waiting for us when we land...

SR-22 is a great little airplane. Make sure you get the G-5 if you plan on carrying the family + baggage - the extra useful load vs the G-3 is a big advantage.

Quick Reply: Being a "one car" guy vs. building a stable