Sponsored by:

OT: Cayman S to compliment the GT3s

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 01:13 AM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 135 Posts
Default OT: Cayman S to compliment the GT3s

So after taking my GT3s to the track, I finally broke down and decided to embark on a new project with my son. Bought a 2009 Cayman S with 37,000 miles on it. And did this to it (if the original owner only knew):

Heading to the shop for a cage next week.

The garage is now full.

I'll probably post more details on my project in the Cayman section, though I think most of them with cry blasphemy.

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...l#post13159372

Doing this in phases (may shift some things around)... Other than the cage/clutch/fire suppression/AIM, I'm doing the rest myself together with my son. It's our project car and I'll be very comfortable with him being safe during his first DE event.

Phase 1
=======
Rollcage
Clutch
Single Mass Flywheel
Clutch disc / Pressure plate
Release Bearing
Limited Slip Differential

OMP Steering Wheel (WRC), Hub, Rennline quick release
Steering Wheel hook
Track Mats
Short shift kit
Mesh Grill Kit
Rear Wing / Front Splitter
Aim with smarty cam
GT3 master cylinder
Castrol SRF fluid
Stainless steel brake lines
Fire supression system
Kill switch
3rd Radiator
Wide Mirror
Twin Turb Cooling Guides
Halo Cobra Sebring Pro Seats
Big Front Calipers (Brembo/GT3)
Girodisc slotted rotors
Caliper Studs
Wheel Studs
RSS solid transmission mounts
Aerocatch on Hood

Phase 2
========
Carbon fiber center console and dash panel
Fabspeed Longtube Headers
Fabspeed Race exhaust
Fabspeed Intake

Phase 3
=======
Transmission cooler with fan and Weldon pump
CSF aluminum sides radiators
JRZ Suspension w/Top plates
Porsche Cup lower control arms all around
Tarett solid end bushings
Tarett front and rear swaybars with extended droplinks

Last edited by awew911; 04-01-2016 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Added link to Cayman thread
Old 04-01-2016, 04:07 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 418 Likes on 197 Posts

Old 04-01-2016, 09:55 AM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 227 Likes on 130 Posts

Sub'd
I look forward to a similar experience in many more years..

#AwesomeDadStatus
Old 04-01-2016, 10:54 AM
awew911
Rennlist Member

As an aside, my last visit to Road Atlanta about a month ago with my 991 GT3 put me at 1:39 as my best laps. I don't think I have the natural talent to push myself (nor the 991 GT3) anywhere close to potential. My coach wanted me to carry more speed through some of the turns beyond my comfort zone. Much of that comfort may be subconscious knowing I have $150k+ wrapped up in the car. For a fraction of the cost of a 991 GT3, I can build a car that is safer and just as fun to drive around.

For reference, my buddy in his Cayman S 3.4 does 1:31... That means I, as a driver, have a lot to learn.

Old 04-01-2016, 11:52 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 174 Posts

Looks like fun! The driving journey is definitely more enjoyable with a car that is dedicated to racing/tracking that you can throw away without crying too much. I will say though that the biggest determinate to speed is a total lack of imagination. The less imagination you have as to what could happen if you don't make this turn, the faster you go!

Have fun, the journey begins...
Old 04-01-2016, 12:02 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 358 Likes on 258 Posts

Cool project. I have been tracking a mostly stock Cayman R for awhile. It's a lot of fun and for me pushing the Cayman is less stressful than the GT3. You may want to consider some of the suspension upgrades to get more neg camber earlier in your build. Stock parts can't get much and will wear the tire outside edges rapidly. Good luck with the build!
Old 04-01-2016, 12:24 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by awew911
As an aside, my last visit to Road Atlanta about a month ago with my 991 GT3 put me at 1:39 as my best laps. I don't think I have the natural talent to push myself (nor the 991 GT3) anywhere close to potential. My coach wanted me to carry more speed through some of the turns beyond my comfort zone. Much of that comfort may be subconscious knowing I have $150k+ wrapped up in the car. For a fraction of the cost of a 991 GT3, I can build a car that is safer and just as fun to drive around.

For reference, my buddy in his Cayman S 3.4 does 1:31... That means I, as a driver, have a lot to learn.

Perfect! Love that you are getting your son involved with the build of the car. The is awesome and an experience he will never forget.

Great job stepping down to a slower car. Coming from a 991 GT3 to a slower Cayman S is hard to do for some people but the fun factor is all the same. Both cars are going to be great loads of fun on track. The only difference is the straight line speed down the back straight.

For a Cayman S 3.4 to do a 1:31 at Road Atlanta I would guess your buddy has this car prepared to PCA GTB1 specs. As you are prepping your car for track duty I would have the shop prep it in stages as you have laid out towards racing in this class. GTB1 is a huge field in PCA club racing. The cars are easy to drive, they are as fast as a 996 Cup around most tracks, and are relatively cheap to operate. By prepping the car to GTB1 specs you will be building a car that has a future if you decide to go racing. And if you don't then the car is ready for the next person to build towards that goal without devaluing any of the modifications you have performed to the car.
Old 04-01-2016, 01:03 PM
Aspen Autosports
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is some garage you have, incredibly jealous over here. Excellent choice stepping down to a Cayman S, the 2009 is a great year as the DFI engine does not have the issues the earlier engines did. As others have mentioned it is always best to learn with a slower car.

I typically find the customers that start with high HP cars are slower drivers. Start with the slow car and learn the importance of momentum and carrying speed through a corner. Learning on a slower car will make you a faster driver.

Very good advice from Seth, build a car following class rules. I have seen too many builds that do not fit anywhere, when it is time to sell the car it is very difficult because it is only a DE car and that closes the window of sales opportunity.

The list of upgrades you have sound like you will have a pretty good car once its all said and done. You may want to consider rearranging the order you do some of that and you may want to consider some additional items to complement some of the upgrades.

For instance you mentioned the GT3 Master, you may want to consider changing the booster as well.

You also might want to consider replacing the lower control arms sooner so you can give yourself a more aggressive alignment, this should also be coupled with the adjustable rear toe links and lock plates. (please ignore this statement if you do not plan to take the car on track prior to phase 3)

Good luck and have fun with the build, if you need any advice or are looking for pricing along the way please feel free to contact me.
Old 04-01-2016, 01:22 PM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
Perfect! Love that you are getting your son involved with the build of the car. The is awesome and an experience he will never forget.

Great job stepping down to a slower car. Coming from a 991 GT3 to a slower Cayman S is hard to do for some people but the fun factor is all the same. Both cars are going to be great loads of fun on track. The only difference is the straight line speed down the back straight.

For a Cayman S 3.4 to do a 1:31 at Road Atlanta I would guess your buddy has this car prepared to PCA GTB1 specs. As you are prepping your car for track duty I would have the shop prep it in stages as you have laid out towards racing in this class. GTB1 is a huge field in PCA club racing. The cars are easy to drive, they are as fast as a 996 Cup around most tracks, and are relatively cheap to operate. By prepping the car to GTB1 specs you will be building a car that has a future if you decide to go racing. And if you don't then the car is ready for the next person to build towards that goal without devaluing any of the modifications you have performed to the car.

Thanks for the recommendations, Seth. I'm trying to follow the GTB1 route and your guess is correct. My buddy is up at Road Atl this weekend at the PCA race in the GTB1 group. I'm not sure I'm at the point yet where I'm ready to race as there are a lot of factors involved that keep me from crossing into that endeavor. Maybe one day.

As for the speed down the front or back straights, I'm not really worried. I'm going to have so much fun with this car and watching my son learn to drive it.

He's a very special kid and every day is a gift to watch him grow and experience what life has to offer. That alone surpasses any desire I may have to go 10 mph faster down the straights.

Thank you again for the guidance.
Old 04-01-2016, 01:28 PM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Aspen Autosports
That is some garage you have, incredibly jealous over here. Excellent choice stepping down to a Cayman S, the 2009 is a great year as the DFI engine does not have the issues the earlier engines did. As others have mentioned it is always best to learn with a slower car.

I typically find the customers that start with high HP cars are slower drivers. Start with the slow car and learn the importance of momentum and carrying speed through a corner. Learning on a slower car will make you a faster driver.

Very good advice from Seth, build a car following class rules. I have seen too many builds that do not fit anywhere, when it is time to sell the car it is very difficult because it is only a DE car and that closes the window of sales opportunity.

The list of upgrades you have sound like you will have a pretty good car once its all said and done. You may want to consider rearranging the order you do some of that and you may want to consider some additional items to complement some of the upgrades.

For instance you mentioned the GT3 Master, you may want to consider changing the booster as well.

You also might want to consider replacing the lower control arms sooner so you can give yourself a more aggressive alignment, this should also be coupled with the adjustable rear toe links and lock plates. (please ignore this statement if you do not plan to take the car on track prior to phase 3)

Good luck and have fun with the build, if you need any advice or are looking for pricing along the way please feel free to contact me.
Great advice, Jake... Definitely sticking with GTB1 standards.

The booster is a good idea as well and a good reminder for me to update the list.

While I have some of those suspension pieces on the list further down, it sounds like I may end up adding some of them sooner than later.

Initially, I am going to take the car to some DE's and watch my son learn about the fundamentals in the green group. And then as his skill increases, start adding performance pieces. That slow approach may all go out the window as soon as I drive it.

I appreciate the offer for guidance and parts.
Old 04-01-2016, 02:33 PM
Aspen Autosports
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Initially, I am going to take the car to some DE's and watch my son learn about the fundamentals in the green group. And then as his skill increases, start adding performance pieces. That slow approach may all go out the window as soon as I drive it.
That slow approach will be more appreciated by your son in the long run. Make sure he gets plenty of seat time and you don't make the car too much for him to handle. It will take all of the enjoyment for both of you out of it. I know its hard but try to restrain yourself lol.
Old 04-01-2016, 03:57 PM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 418 Likes on 197 Posts

This is going to be an interesting thread to follow

While I'm here I'd like to thank you for the nice ride at Sebring about a year ago.
Old 04-01-2016, 04:26 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Thanks for the recommendations, Seth. I'm trying to follow the GTB1 route and your guess is correct. My buddy is up at Road Atl this weekend at the PCA race in the GTB1 group. I'm not sure I'm at the point yet where I'm ready to race as there are a lot of factors involved that keep me from crossing into that endeavor. Maybe one day.

As for the speed down the front or back straights, I'm not really worried. I'm going to have so much fun with this car and watching my son learn to drive it.

He's a very special kid and every day is a gift to watch him grow and experience what life has to offer. That alone surpasses any desire I may have to go 10 mph faster down the straights.

Thank you again for the guidance.
Awesome. I am looking forward to those days with my son. Currently he is 5 so I have a few years before that.

Who is your buddy at Road Atlanta? Sunday I am going to be racing in a GTB1 car #175 during the enduro that is capable of similar speeds as your buddy. Would be cool if he is doing the enduro too.
Old 04-01-2016, 09:21 PM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kobalt
This is going to be an interesting thread to follow

While I'm here I'd like to thank you for the nice ride at Sebring about a year ago.
Ahh! Yes sir! I remember that... My pleasure!
Old 04-01-2016, 09:24 PM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
Awesome. I am looking forward to those days with my son. Currently he is 5 so I have a few years before that.

Who is your buddy at Road Atlanta? Sunday I am going to be racing in a GTB1 car #175 during the enduro that is capable of similar speeds as your buddy. Would be cool if he is doing the enduro too.
Good times!

His name is Keith... Go say hello, Seth... He's a great guy!

Quick Reply: OT: Cayman S to compliment the GT3s