Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing dial faces

Old 03-19-2016, 06:33 PM
Mechanicalrepair
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Removing dial faces

Well as I couldn't get my hands on a uk supplied car I imported mine and as such the mileage display reads in kph, it's never really bothered me that much as the digital display was set to mph.

A few friends have the same cars and they had the coloured dials, I always wanted to have mine in yellow so tonight whilst bored I decided to take the challenge and remove the binnacle, I started out by searching the net but didn't come across anything use full.

Here goes.

First I pulled the steering column out as far as possible and set it to the lowest setting (close as it goes towards your legs), removed the brushed aluminium covers to the left and right of the speedo pod, literally just put my fingers behind them and they popped off, then I lifted the cover which has the leather material on the column again this just pulled straight off with very little pressure required also did the same for the top column cover.

Now this was a tricky bit as I couldn't be so sure on how the surround was fixed into place the plastic around the actual binnacle, I got a small screw driver and a micro fibre to not mark the dash and started at the bottom right and worked my way around, it then popped off and then revealed the four 20 torx screws that hold the binnacle, all up to this point it has been plane sailing.

Trim removed

Name:  image_zps7n4wyaqp.jpeg
Views: 3303
Size:  104.5 KB

Soo far so good.

With the four holding screws out I was left with this on my lap

Name:  image_zpswmm96qao.jpeg
Views: 3368
Size:  133.3 KB

A nice hole in the dash where it once sat.

Name:  image_zpspp47kakd.jpeg
Views: 3280
Size:  105.1 KB

With the clocks on the desk you can see around the outside all the tags that need to be lifted up slightly and with a little pressure pulled forward to remove the glass (plastic) front

Here is the part removed and the plastic tabs clear to see

Name:  image_zpsqmpdgmqk.jpeg
Views: 3257
Size:  176.0 KB

Whilst lifting the tags and pulling the front face off you should remember before you do this to remove the odo reset button, I didn't and had to search the garage for the button as this flew off, at this point still no damage.

Name:  image_zpsluq2gmuo.jpeg
Views: 3261
Size:  141.6 KB

Now removed and placed in front, basically the plastic clear cover (unsure why the photo is upside down ???)

Name:  image_zpswbesbiyi.jpeg
Views: 3246
Size:  181.8 KB

After this stage the dividing section is held into place with some ten torx screws, 7 to be exact

Name:  image_zpsmkziog2w.jpeg
Views: 3245
Size:  179.3 KB

With the front removed, you are left with the plastic housings that separate the dials from one another.

Here is the behind shot showing you the mounting points and where the screws which hold it in place

Name:  image_zpsrpkw0bsf.jpeg
Views: 3276
Size:  107.2 KB

Once the screws are removed it effortlessly slides forward, you basically then have the needles and faces directly in front of you.

Name:  image_zpsabgdphao.jpeg
Views: 3232
Size:  151.8 KB

I took various photos of the needles and made sure they where at the rest position, will need this reference when putting them back together.

Name:  image_zpsv3w5h3ba.jpeg
Views: 3220
Size:  196.3 KB
Name:  image_zpssxovcamo.jpeg
Views: 3275
Size:  242.6 KB

This was the point it was scary removing the needles from the gauges without doing any damage, at this point the girlfriend comes into the garage and asks what I am up too, as you can imagine she looks at me in disgust (brand new car and your taking it to bits), I just tell her the car read in kph and not mph rather than a colour change, she wouldn't get it, a bit like her bedroom full of shoes, I don't get that.

The large needle in the rpm gauge came off with my finger and thumb, again so did the speedo needle,

Name:  image_zps37st2vwt.jpeg
Views: 3227
Size:  386.7 KB

I sigh a little relief and move onto the smaller needles, this is where panic sets in, the needle felt like it moved but it just removed the top cover, erm, at this point my bum cheeks started to clench, I go to the next and agin the same happened. Jeez

By this time I had four of these covers off and the needles still stuck

Name:  image_zps2opayxhi.jpeg
Views: 3199
Size:  375.3 KB

I had a thought, perhaps the dial faces can be slid off with the needles in place, yes you guessed it this was the deal and the two smaller dial faces came off.

So I had the speedo face off and the two smaller faces off, I thought I would leave it at that as the rpm face looked good in silver??

Name:  image_zpsoryoizs2.jpeg
Views: 3213
Size:  168.0 KB

Now we have my car in pieces, the work bench in the garage covered in parts of Porsche speedo and what we have left looks nothing that could be worth that much should it get damaged ??? With that in mind I cleared it up so either the missus does a cleaning trick or the kids think it's part of there toys.

I have to say it's daunting but with a little knowledge and patience it was relatively easy to do, I now have to send the dials off and have the new ones replicated, I am having a few sets made and I have chosen yellow for my car, should anyone be interested in some you are more than welcome to get in touch. Mine are being used by a large company as there first ones to replicate of this model and they make dials for all the brands of vehicles over here so will be quality.

Will update the thread as and when.

Carl

Last edited by Mechanicalrepair; 03-19-2016 at 07:35 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Speedsterproject (09-03-2022)
Old 03-19-2016, 07:26 PM
Slip
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 21 Posts

How do you recalibrate the speedo when changing from kph to mph? Presuming it needs a trip to the dealer to do this?
Old 03-19-2016, 08:11 PM
Mechanicalrepair
Advanced

Originally Posted by Slip
How do you recalibrate the speedo when changing from kph to mph? Presuming it needs a trip to the dealer to do this?

Been told it's just the dial faces that are different, once swopped out will know as can compare it to the digital read out.

Carl
Old 03-19-2016, 08:56 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,727 Likes on 4,760 Posts

Wow, props to you. That's a major undertaking.

I considered changing my dial faces to yellow, but was told that a special tool was needed and most shops would not even undertake the job with the special tool.

Good luck.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:44 PM
ElectricChair
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit

I considered changing my dial faces to yellow, but was told that a special tool was needed and most shops would not even undertake the job with the special tool.

Good luck.

Yes, special tool required.

Old 03-19-2016, 11:16 PM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ElectricChair
Yes, special tool required.

Old 03-20-2016, 05:29 AM
Mechanicalrepair
Advanced

Originally Posted by ipse dixit

Good luck.
Think the special tool is me, ha ha, yes the daughters fork, best put that back, it never worked with that just used my finger and thumb in the end.

Carl
Old 03-20-2016, 08:31 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 377 Likes on 193 Posts

Kmh car in the UK. Lemme guess, a HK import eh?
Old 03-20-2016, 12:34 PM
Mechanicalrepair
Advanced

Originally Posted by CRex
Kmh car in the UK. Lemme guess, a HK import eh?

No not from Hong Kong, I import and export cars so have my contacts, will keep it close as you know what forms are like?

Carl
Old 03-20-2016, 01:33 PM
stpatsday
Racer

Received 127 Likes on 62 Posts

Awesome work! Carl you have talent that I can only wish I had. Thanks for posting.
This is exactly what I want to do when I get my GT3 in.
Old 03-20-2016, 01:35 PM
stpatsday
Racer

Received 127 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Mechanicalrepair
Been told it's just the dial faces that are different, once swopped out will know as can compare it to the digital read out.

Carl
Appears that Suncoast sells gauges in both MPH and KPH:
http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/FVD991GAUGES.html
Old 03-20-2016, 03:55 PM
Mechanicalrepair
Advanced

Originally Posted by stpatsday
Appears that Suncoast sells gauges in both MPH and KPH:
http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/FVD991GAUGES.html

Flattery will get you everywhere!

Thanks for the link, after the cost, postage and import charges I would face they are over double the cost of the ones I can get my hands on, I have used them before in my r8 so know the quality will be as good as the originals and sometimes I like to have a mess with my cars.

Carl
Old 03-24-2016, 04:45 PM
Mechanicalrepair
Advanced

Just got my bill for the dials very reasonable, I have had a total of five sets made and in white yellow and red.

It's now Easter bank holidays here so hopefully next week I will have the dials in my hand and can get you all some photos.

They cost me in the end just over £320 include our tax (vat) worked out well.

Keep your eyes peeled for the next instalment of refitting, can't wait to get the car back together now and go out in it. Since its stripped I have dare turn the ignition on.

Carl
Old 03-29-2016, 06:15 PM
BoulderGeek
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice work, Carl.

Thanks for documenting this. In the other thread, I mentioned that this is exactly what I did with my Volvo. The only problem was in replacing the needles to their exact location.

So, you may have "dodged a bullet" (quaint old Colonialism, as we frolic about with firearms on this side of the Pond), by not actually taking your needles off their respective spindles.

I am going to try to source black US faces (that doesn't sound good) from a wrecked 987 and try it.
Old 03-29-2016, 06:19 PM
Mechanicalrepair
Advanced

Originally Posted by BoulderGeek
Nice work, Carl.

Thanks for documenting this. In the other thread, I mentioned that this is exactly what I did with my Volvo. The only problem was in replacing the needles to their exact location.

So, you may have "dodged a bullet" (quaint old Colonialism, as we frolic about with firearms on this side of the Pond), by not actually taking your needles off their respective spindles.

I am going to try to source black US faces (that doesn't sound good) from a wrecked 987 and try it.
No problem, documenting it gave me something to do on a cold rainy evening in the garage.

I have only had to remove the speedo and the Rev counter, I have took some detailed photos and made sure the needles were at there stop so to speak, I think I will be ok, but I will refit everything and leave the glass face off so should i need to adjust them I can.

Carl

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Removing dial faces