Sponsored by:

Setup numbers RS

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 10:22 PM
Joe731
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default NJMSP

I spent two sunny warm days at NJ Motorsports Park (Lightning) with my RS. This was a real getting to know the car experience.

I started off conservatively, with 1:19s and worked down to 1:14.8 While not a record shattering time, I felt pretty good about it. I am sure there are at least few more seconds to be had, I was on stock tires and suspension. Only mods were RE10 pads, AP Front rotors and Motul fluid.

The car just revs and revs. What fun. And it brakes and turns in very very well considering the stock setup.

Two things I didn't like: It got a little squirmy under hard braking at high speeds (end of front straight), and two times when in PDK Sport, it didn't upshift -- per the prior posts, I think my low fuel light was on both times. Will continue to monitor PDK-Sport Mode.

Any insight on the squirmy feel under hard braking? More aero in rear? Different front/rear pads (had this problem at one point on 996 turbo until I increased pad bite in rear), alignment?

I also took some tire temps, but am traveling so it will have to wait for the weekend for me to get back to my notes and post, but the outsides were definitely hotter than the middles and insides.
Old 04-26-2016, 10:45 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Thanks!

You have a little toe out front?
Me as well. So I've been told that 2 turns lowering the car in front creates only a little bit of toe out from zero to.
But the car became super unstable. Not the *** wagging but searching on front axle. I had to stay 3' away from the wall braking into T1 at Sebring.

Maybe it just needs no toe, it was the first time and only change to toe out that created this.
Same pads toe in, all stable..

Not sure if I'm helping here...
Old 04-26-2016, 11:25 PM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Joe, thanks for posting. We're 3 for 3 on cars with the upshift problem -- that's good news as it sounds quite consistent. After I return from COTA I'll take the car into service and see what they can see from codes, etc.

I concur with Peter that it could be toe/alignment, as I experienced zero squirminess threshold braking from 140mph. I haven't even looked at rear wing setting yet, so not sure what that is set to stock. That likely won't affect the squirminess under heavy braking though, unless it's happening during initial bite at high speed (when aero matters).
Old 04-26-2016, 11:27 PM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

I'll raise another topic -- how many heat cycles are folks getting out of the MPSC2 before losing tread or significant grip. I had about 12 on my first set of tires before swapping to a fresh set heading to 3 days at COTA. The old tires look to still have a good amount of tire left -- not at wear bars yet. Camber adjustments stopped the excessive shoulder wear.
Old 04-26-2016, 11:30 PM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Last topic I'll toss out there...suspension.

For a street car on street tires, it's pretty exceptional stock. Only the mclaren I owned felt even sharper, but there's some really whiz bang stuff happening on the macs. I will say at 2 different tracks I am having some floatiness especially when changing directions at high speed. It isn't a huge issue, but takes longer than I would like to settle the car. My thought is to consider removing the rubber from the suspension, as regardless what springs are on the car it will always have that delay/float with rubber bushings. I've not done that mod myself on a street car before (obviously have on race cars). For those that have, does this typically affect ride quality on the road VERY significantly? I find the RS to be plenty soft for street use, and if removing the rubber only has a say 10-20% add in brittleness, I think I may give it a shot.

Ok, sorry for long post
Old 04-27-2016, 06:04 PM
gator9_911
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

First time on track (Roebling) and I did about ten heat cycles. The left rear is corded in places in the outside shoulder. Never seen this in such a small amount of time. Also got a nail in it last week so the tire is now done.

Do I need more camber?
Old 04-27-2016, 06:18 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hoopumpers
Last topic I'll toss out there...suspension.

For a street car on street tires, it's pretty exceptional stock. Only the mclaren I owned felt even sharper, but there's some really whiz bang stuff happening on the macs. I will say at 2 different tracks I am having some floatiness especially when changing directions at high speed. It isn't a huge issue, but takes longer than I would like to settle the car. My thought is to consider removing the rubber from the suspension, as regardless what springs are on the car it will always have that delay/float with rubber bushings. I've not done that mod myself on a street car before (obviously have on race cars). For those that have, does this typically affect ride quality on the road VERY significantly? I find the RS to be plenty soft for street use, and if removing the rubber only has a say 10-20% add in brittleness, I think I may give it a shot.

Ok, sorry for long post
I at first thought the same. Sway bar full stiff, a little more rear wing (dropped the front) and going as low as possible, PASM stiff, fixed it sufficiently for me.

But I like my cars softer than most specially at Sebring
Old 04-27-2016, 09:32 PM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I at first thought the same. Sway bar full stiff, a little more rear wing (dropped the front) and going as low as possible, PASM stiff, fixed it sufficiently for me. But I like my cars softer than most specially at Sebring
Good feedback. I still have both bars in the middle. Will play with it this weekend. Most have said rear full stiff is best
Old 04-28-2016, 10:46 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,164 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by jo_ker

Whoopsy - your last days sounds like a blast! would love if you could open a thread / post some pics and impressions.

See my big thread in the 918 section
Old 04-29-2016, 11:40 PM
Joe731
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default War Paint

No garage queen here

A few pics after taking my RS where it belongs!

Old 04-29-2016, 11:44 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

^^^
Old 04-30-2016, 12:18 AM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

That's only worth $20k over MSRP now.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:50 AM
gator9_911
Rennlist Member

I'll raise another topic -- how many heat cycles are folks getting out of the MPSC2 before losing tread or significant grip. I had about 12 on my first set of tires before swapping to a fresh set heading to 3 days at COTA. The old tires look to still have a good amount of tire left -- not at wear bars yet. Camber adjustments stopped the excessive shoulder wear.
What did you settle on for camber front and rear? Getting excess wear on rear shoulder. Argh!
Old 04-30-2016, 09:51 AM
gator9_911
Rennlist Member

Joe, thanks for posting. We're 3 for 3 on cars with the upshift problem -- that's good news as it sounds quite consistent. After I return from COTA I'll take the car into service and see what they can see from codes, etc.

I concur with Peter that it could be toe/alignment, as I experienced zero squirminess threshold braking from 140mph. I haven't even looked at rear wing setting yet, so not sure what that is set to stock. That likely won't affect the squirminess under heavy braking though, unless it's happening during initial bite at high speed (when aero matters).
I get the squirm coming off the brakes at the end of a straight as well. Not as I am braking...but when I release. Figured it was the driver and the need for more trail braking. Stock setup right now.
Old 04-30-2016, 01:51 PM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

-2.8 camber all around is perfect for me. Lapping 2:25.0 at COTA on street tires. Very even wear. Car feels great except for floatiness when unsettled or fast transitions.

Quick Reply: Setup numbers RS