Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some details on 9A1 engine in GT3R

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 11:55 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks so much Macca. Mine is stuck in snow purgatory, but once spring hits, I am going to drive it like it was meant to be driven. I Have an 8 year warranty, so I can go through a few motors if need be.....LOL!

Maybe time to get "the other" forum started again.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:03 AM
SmokinGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 115 Posts

Macca
You are a saint, thank you for a most informative write up. We are all on this ship together and through discourse we will benefit from these kind of discussions. I hope your engine is back in quickly and your back on the track.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:11 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Solid info Mark, thank you for the update. Best of luck with the 3rd.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:30 AM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Macca, thanks so much. I too will raise the issue with PCNA. More from a long term perspective since I do not track but do enjoy traveling back roads at mid to high RPM. My concern is that by not tracking this condition might not make itself know until after the warranty expires. This has shades of the M96/97 debacle.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:38 AM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 407 Posts

Thanks you Macca, first rate information. Thanks again for taking the time share all of this. Fingers crossed for my G engine...
Old 01-22-2016, 12:39 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,150 Likes on 568 Posts

Thanks Mark. Sorry for your inconvenience but glad that you are keeping a very healthy and positive view on this.

As an early E-engine owner with over 12,000 miles on the replacement engine with some very hard track driving, I'm surprised I had no issues to date. I'm thankful for the 5-year warranty I got (3 years left) and choose to view this as an additional reason to drive the car more while it's covered.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:41 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Thanks for sharing, Macca
Old 01-22-2016, 12:46 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It will be interesting to see if (and I hope not), after warranty comes to an end, then engine issues start to rear it's ugly head, what PAG does then?
Old 01-22-2016, 12:50 AM
City
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great write up! Would love to know the major differences in revision parts for E vs F vs G engines especially oil pump, filter etc
Old 01-22-2016, 12:52 AM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Many thanks for staying on top of this issue from the beginning Mark. Perhaps Porsche stuck it's neck out there a little too far when it wanted to convince the fan base that PDK was the future for it's GT cars. It really took a big leap with this car, with AP even stating how owners track their cars, and boldly placing a track warranty on this car. Remember the "shut up and drive it" comment. Well.....the limits of oiling at 9,000 rpm may have caught them by surprise. And this no doubt had them looking for the fix by the time the 4.0L RS came around. The early videos showing it too had the 9,000 redline, then having it reduced. Maybe they were still having the issue in that engine when run at that high of an RPM? Either way, I think the engine con-rod issue has set Porsche up for standing behind its engine design, and even if out of warranty, the history of what is occurring can not be ignored. The internet era will always leak out the real info to the owners, one way or another. Thanks Again!!
Old 01-22-2016, 01:09 AM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks so much Macca--very useful information, and I wish you well with the replacement and up coming track tour. Do you know how many engines may have shown this problem so far (requiring replacement or some other remedial action), and whether it's related to high revs vs high Gs vs something else? I wonder if the problem can occur with various driving styles, or if it is only track use that is relevant. I'd also like to hear more about what changes were made in the F engines, if any. Hopefully this isn't a harbinger of ongoing problems in the future.

I suspect given this information, that we will not see the MA175 engine used elsewhere (lending credence to rumours that the 911R will have the RS engine, for instance). While the news is concerning, this still seems to me like a very special and unique engine. Let's hope Porsche figures out how to keep this one going in the long term. I'd hate to see this one turn into a pariah, after all the accolades and praise the car has earned from owners and reviewers.

Subscribed.
Old 01-22-2016, 01:19 AM
ablee2323
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Along with others, thank you for the info Macca. I have an e engine and share the same concerns voiced on this thread. I will plan to take the same approach that Mike in CA is doing here in Korea. Not jumping to conclusions but Porsche needs to do the right thing
Old 01-22-2016, 01:57 AM
Gastrogt3
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Macca, that's outstanding objective, factual, unemotional reporting mixed with some grace and patience. There are plenty who would have thought this was the end of the world. You must be a good parent!

Thank you for taking the time to put it all down for our benefit. A great act of selflessness...
Old 01-22-2016, 02:01 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Thanks Macca. I'm at something like 1500 track miles and have only had one instance of a misfire-type error, and that was on track in 112 F ambient temperatures (Joe had it happen that day as well).

Definitely concerned about the long term reliability of these motors on track.
Old 01-22-2016, 07:08 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Gents. As always you are welcome.

I have around 12 specific examples I am aware of the details from (owners who have contacted me or reported on this board) and perhaps 20 examples of this failure in total I am aware of excluding the ones reported in Europe by the media some months back (RSR Nurburgring rental cars etc).

I cannot say for sure if the issue I have is definitely related to high rpm usage but my thoughts are that it is related. I should also think that high lateral G at load on the engine would contribute.

It is interesting that there are heavily track used E engines such as MaxTL, Manifold & Joe on here that have had no issues whatsoever. Im not sure why this is or if they will fail in the future. It is interesting that we caught my engine relatively early and I can only suggest that the calibration of the ECU may not be s sensitive as to identify the issue until the wear has progressed more on other examples. It is possible the updated software I was running (used on G series) has a far more sensitive "nose" for the issue as it develops.

One tell tale that I reflected on in hindsight was the track day on 09 Jan a few days before the failure presented itself. I recall in the last two sessions that in higher gears when hitting 9000 rpm the last few hundred rpm the needle was chuntering a little like it was struggling to get there. I suspect this may have been the beginning of the system reading the fault. I keep AIM + SmartyCam HD records of all my track runs so I can easily review the data to show precisely what is happening and have provided video files of my telemetry in car live footage so they could see when the retardation happened on the track and look at the precise conditions and rpm that it happened. Its was a very handy data set to be able to present them...

Quick Reply: Some details on 9A1 engine in GT3R