Sponsored by:

Weight Diff Steel Vs PCCB

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 01:19 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I thought I remembered but, to be honest, I checked where I had it written down to be sure...

Weight shown is for both seats combined
18 way 128 lbs
4 way 97.2 lbs
GT 2 Sport buckets 78 lbs

I don't have exact numbers for the new 991 LWB's. Keep in mind that the GT2/997 buckets had airbags but were fully manual; no motor for raising the seat. I'll guess that motors might add 5 lbs so figure maybe 82-83lbs for the new LWB's, a savings of around 15 lbs over the 4 way seats..

40lbs for PCCB's, 15lbs for the LWB's, and let's say 20lbs (or more?) for the Lion battery; a total of about 75lbs. For a 475HP, 3175lb car that's the equivalent of an additional 11HP plus the benefits of lower sprung and unsprung weight.
Thanks mike,

You were very fast to answer. I deleted my question about the battery, because it is is right on the Porsche website. You save 13.5 kilograms or 29.7lbs with the lightweight battery.

So you save 40 lbs with the PCCBs, 15lbs with the LWBs and 30lbs with the Lion battery. Total of 85lbs. I don't know what that means in effective HP gained, maybe 12.3?

It also costs $16,240 for those three options, which isn't worth 12HP to me.
I'd rather spend that money on a personal trainer to lose 20lbs............

Besides, my back can't handle the LWBs, and I track my car regularly so PCCBs don't make sense. I would consider the lightweight battery if it was a bit cheaper, but $2300 is fairly steep, particularly for weight off the front.
Old 01-04-2016, 02:46 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
Thanks mike,

You were very fast to answer. I deleted my question about the battery, because it is is right on the Porsche website. You save 13.5 kilograms or 29.7lbs with the lightweight battery.

So you save 40 lbs with the PCCBs, 15lbs with the LWBs and 30lbs with the Lion battery. Total of 85lbs. I don't know what that means in effective HP gained, maybe 12.3?

It also costs $16,240 for those three options, which isn't worth 12HP to me.
I'd rather spend that money on a personal trainer to lose 20lbs............

Besides, my back can't handle the LWBs, and I track my car regularly so PCCBs don't make sense. I would consider the lightweight battery if it was a bit cheaper, but $2300 is fairly steep, particularly for weight off the front.
Yeah Drifting, not quite 13HP (12.7) for an 85lb weight savings. If there are good reasons not to get PCCB's or LWB's then so be it, but if one can rationalize the lighter items somehow then I guess the theoretical HP and performance increase is a bonus. Porsche HP is expensive as we know; they charged about $18K for a 30HP power kit.

But none of this makes any sense on a value basis anyway. We want what we want and if something extra comes along with it, all the better.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:50 AM
Richard.
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 124 Posts

Guys now we are rolling, add another 45lbs for removing the roll cage. How much does the front lifting system weigh as an option, do you need a larger battery for this ?
Old 01-04-2016, 07:36 AM
991 GT3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning on shaving weight without mods. I could stand to drop 25lbs. Then I'll feel better and car goes a bit quicker
Old 01-04-2016, 10:12 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

This has already been beaten to death. 40lbs of rotating mass at the wheels is very different than 15lbs of seat or battery. So you cannot run a linear equation there = horsepower, etc. Its not as simple as that. Or losing a little weight. I have owned GT3s with and without the PCCB. I suggest that the 40lbs of rotating mass is detectable in terms of handling characteristics, but I would have bought just for the look and lack of dust. To me its also a mental thing. If I am spending the extra $ to have Porsche top performance model, shouldn't I spend a bit extra to have the lightest/highest performing spec. Even if its not about laptimes or track.
Old 01-04-2016, 12:49 PM
FLT6SPD
Rennlist Member

Received 592 Likes on 259 Posts

Yes, unsprung weight and inertia are the key here for handling improvements, not for weight-to-horsepower gains.

http://www.formula1-dictionary.net/unsprung_weight.html

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
This has already been beaten to death. 40lbs of rotating mass at the wheels is very different than 15lbs of seat or battery. So you cannot run a linear equation there = horsepower, etc. Its not as simple as that. Or losing a little weight. I have owned GT3s with and without the PCCB. I suggest that the 40lbs of rotating mass is detectable in terms of handling characteristics, but I would have bought just for the look and lack of dust. To me its also a mental thing. If I am spending the extra $ to have Porsche top performance model, shouldn't I spend a bit extra to have the lightest/highest performing spec. Even if its not about laptimes or track.
Old 01-04-2016, 01:41 PM
Sloopy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To me the most noticeable difference is in the handling on a bumpy road. I drive mostly in the mountains so for me it's an easy choice.

It's also nice to see my wheels look like they were just cleaned after a day in the passes.
Old 01-04-2016, 01:58 PM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I thought I remembered but, to be honest, I checked where I had it written down to be sure...

Weight shown is for both seats combined
18 way 128 lbs
4 way 97.2 lbs
GT 2 Sport buckets 78 lbs

I don't have exact numbers for the new 991 LWB's. Keep in mind that the GT2/997 buckets had airbags but were fully manual; no motor for raising the seat. I'll guess that motors might add 5 lbs so figure maybe 82-83lbs for the new LWB's, a savings of around 15 lbs over the 4 way seats..

40lbs for PCCB's, 15lbs for the LWB's, and let's say 20lbs (or more?) for the Lion battery; a total of about 75lbs. For a 475HP, 3175lb car that's the equivalent of an additional 11HP plus the benefits of lower sprung and unsprung weight.
I thinking would be cheaper to lose 75 pounds off of myself

Last edited by meaker; 06-28-2018 at 07:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Porsche444 (10-02-2020)
Old 01-04-2016, 02:29 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
Originally Posted by FLT6SPD
Yes, unsprung weight and inertia are the key here for handling improvements, not for weight-to-horsepower gains.
Of course, unsprung weight is more significant and lowering overall weight is more important in terms of handling and inertia. But weight loss is weight loss and while it's not the whole story or maybe even the most important part of the story, reducing weight is still roughly equivalent to increasing HP.

The calculations about HP are mainly for fun anyway; that's not why I personally got PCCB's. Handling improvement, no dust, and looks were the main reasons I was willing to spend the money. Lowering overall weight and a "virtual" HP gain were a bonus.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 01-04-2016 at 04:27 PM.
Old 01-04-2016, 02:39 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

Of course, unsprung weight is more significant and lowering overall weight is more important in terms of handling and inertia. But weight loss is weight loss and while it's not the whole story or maybe even the most important part of the story, reducing weight is still roughly equivalent to increasing HP.

The calculations about HP are mainly for fun anyway; that's not why I personally got PCCB's. Handling improvement, no dust, and looks were the main reasons I was willing to spend the money. Lowering overall weight and a nominal HP gain were a bonus.
I was one that was against PCCBs when I was building my GT3. Went with stock.

At the Porsche Center in ATL when I had a chance to drive one of their cars with the PCCBs I thought there were much more instantaneous. What I mean they just seemed to have more bite and more feedback in a way. Now- I went in there hoping I would be disappointed and reinforce my initial decision.

I spec'd my GT4 with them and this will be my true test which direction I will go in the future. Since I do not track never concerned of wearing them out and will probably last a lifetime
Old 01-04-2016, 03:31 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D

At the Porsche Center in ATL when I had a chance to drive one of their cars with the PCCBs I thought there were much more instantaneous. What I mean they just seemed to have more bite and more feedback in a way. Now- I went in there hoping I would be disappointed and reinforce my initial decision.

I spec'd my GT4 with them and this will be my true test which direction I will go in the future. Since I do not track never concerned of wearing them out and will probably last a lifetime
I think that was a good choice, Jimmy. I also love the bite of the PCCB's when you engage them; they just feel more positive than the cast iron brakes on any car I've owned. And I'm sure you will really like the "no dust" aspect of the ceramics.
Old 01-04-2016, 05:41 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

good choice. now you have the lightest most responsive spec possible.... on your lightest most responsive Porsche... well done
Old 01-04-2016, 06:50 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D

At the Porsche Center in ATL when I had a chance to drive one of their cars with the PCCBs I thought there were much more instantaneous. What I mean they just seemed to have more bite and more feedback in a way.
I've been harping on this for a long time. Just because the PCCBs have more bite, a lot of people think they don't have any feel. I have PCCBs on the 991S and steels on my 981S, and, to me, the PCCBs have better feel in all driving conditions other than at parking lot speeds. When trying to scrub speed at higher speeds, they offer better pedal feel than my steels. My ability to modulate just how much speed I shed feels much better in the PCCBs. Riding in the mountains, I get my braking right much more often in the 991 with PCCBs.
Old 01-04-2016, 06:57 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I thought the feel of PCCBs when hot (track) was awesome. I do not particularly love the PCCBs for initial bite when they are cold (street). Ironically that seems to be a bit the opposite of the comments here. When my friend drove my car I warned him that he needed a little heat into the PCCBs for them to work well and his first stop in the car he commented, "I see what you mean". FWIW.
Old 01-04-2016, 07:20 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,787 Likes on 4,776 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
I thought the feel of PCCBs when hot (track) was awesome. I do not particularly love the PCCBs for initial bite when they are cold (street). Ironically that seems to be a bit the opposite of the comments here. When my friend drove my car I warned him that he needed a little heat into the PCCBs for them to work well and his first stop in the car he commented, "I see what you mean". FWIW.
+1

Cold they almost feel mushy. Properly warmed up they're amazing.

Quick Reply: Weight Diff Steel Vs PCCB