Sponsored by:

Track Pads...

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 11:55 PM
m3irish
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track Pads...

Finally, I'm going to be able to change from PCCBs to steel and the hunt for track pads is on. There's data spread over several threads, but nothing concrete.

So far it looks like people have run the PFC11, RE10, and DS1.11. Feel free to add any pads I might be missing. Can anyone talk about their experience such as fade, feel of the different pads, etc?

Last edited by m3irish; 01-06-2016 at 06:59 PM.
Old 12-28-2015, 12:06 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,029 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Endless ME20s or MA45Bs is what I like best.
Old 12-28-2015, 12:15 AM
m3irish
Racer

Why?
Old 12-28-2015, 01:02 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

PFC11 - no fade, stop well, no noise, low dust, more pedal effort required. Last longer than stock pads
DS1.11 - no fade, stop well, some noise, low dust, less pedal effort needed and shorter stroke. Last longer than PFC11
Old 12-28-2015, 01:34 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,029 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Originally Posted by m3irish
Why?
Great initial bite, good modulation, and excellent pedal feel. Fairly low noise with either pad.
Old 12-28-2015, 04:48 AM
speeddistrict
Rennlist Member

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...re10-pads.html
Old 12-28-2015, 05:25 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,652 Likes on 768 Posts

I've always ran PFC11 pads and like the price and feel from new to just a few mm left.

That was on the 997's.
The new 991 brake system is very good, much better than the 997 system, but with the closed calipers front and rear I will stick with the RE10 pads because it's more work / labor to take all 4 calipers off to swap pads.

I ran 16 very hard days (See laptimes on my ED thread) on the RE10 in Europe and couldn't finish a set, thats pretty amazing.
I had 2 sets with me, never used the second set!!
Even better than the expensive MA45B Endless pads.
There is a lot of material transfer that allow the rotors to last, temps seem cooler but I haven't run them enough yet in hot climates and the pedal feel stays very strong even after abusing the brakes.

So for convenience I'd say slightly thicker (Brembo?) slotted front rotors and RE10 pads give you the most durable setup you can buy with great wear and brake feel. Probably lowest cost per track day too, even with a bit higher initial cost.

Easy on the rotors too!

I got 18 days out of the stock rotors when I replaced them(OEM due to export), so the upgraded slotted rotors I'll be using the next time around I think may be able to run about twice as long on these pads and rotors than PFC / OEM.

Pretty crazy that now there are pads that can outlast rotors!

For most that means one set of pads / rotors per year, very convenient, hassle free and the RE10 are relatively dust free even keeping the car a bit cleaner as well and didn't sound like a school bus but that could be due to minimum street driving by me, maybe 1000 miles out of the first 6000 miles.
Well worth the extra money IMHO.

Next weekend I start with a new set of pads at Sebring, look forward to it
Old 12-29-2015, 06:12 PM
Nodrip
Instructor

If I have one advice to give you, it's to stay away from PAGID RS29.
I tried them and they were only good at the beginning : the braking performance decrease with time. There is also some pad tappering.
I had to take them off prematurely... You can make your own opinion : http://imgur.com/a/jHD5s. Those pads were a waste of money for me.

PFC11 : as other mentionned, this is a viable option.
Good braking performance/longevity/modulation and low noise in street use.
Mines are around 35% and so far I don't really feel any fade. I think you can expect at least 1500-2000km of track from them.
The bedding-in seems optionnal with this pad (compared to RS29 which was a PITA).
They may not be the best brake pads, but you certainly can't go wrong with them!

Talking about bedding-in, endurance pads may require more frequent ones if you use your car on street (from what I heard!).
So it may be something to consider if you don't want the hassle to do that prior to each event!
Old 12-29-2015, 06:56 PM
m3irish
Racer

Nodrip, thanks for the info. The RS29s have been a consideration since I've had great luck with them on my Spyder. How many days did you get out of the RS29s and at what track? How did the rear RS29s hold up? I wonder if they don't translate well to the bigger pad width.

How is the initial bite of the RS29s compared to the PFC11s? I really don't like high initial bite pads. Makes it difficult to just use a little brake to set the nose.

As far as bedding I usually switch between the stock pads and pagids since they play well together. Bed on the way to the track or at the track. Never had an issue with pagids using this method. Are the PFC's compatible with the stock pad material?

Last edited by m3irish; 12-29-2015 at 08:37 PM.
Old 12-29-2015, 08:34 PM
KA MOTORSPORT
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nodrip
If I have one advice to give you, it's to stay away from PAGID RS29.
I tried them and they were only good at the beginning : the braking performance decrease with time. There is also some pad tappering.
I had to take them off prematurely... You can make your own opinion : http://imgur.com/a/jHD5s. Those pads were a waste of money for me.

PFC11 : as other mentionned, this is a viable option.
Good braking performance/longevity/modulation and low noise in street use.
Mines are around 35% and so far I don't really feel any fade. I think you can expect at least 1500-2000km of track from them.
The bedding-in seems optionnal with this pad (compared to RS29 which was a PITA).
They may not be the best brake pads, but you certainly can't go wrong with them!

Talking about bedding-in, endurance pads may require more frequent ones if you use your car on street (from what I heard!).
So it may be something to consider if you don't want the hassle to do that prior to each event!
The pads may not need an extended bedding in, but the discs (OEM, or Upgraded) generally will need bedding.

Brake bedding is broken down into pad bedding (some pads may need less than others, and Pagids do actually need a bit of bedding) and disc bedding (discs need a transfer film of whatever pad material applied on them with progressive braking events regardless).

OEM Material will play nice with RE10 or PFC material from what I know.
Old 12-29-2015, 09:05 PM
Nodrip
Instructor

Originally Posted by m3irish
Nodrip, thanks for the info. The RS29s have been a consideration since I've had great luck with them on my Spyder. How many days did you get out of the RS29s and at what track? How did the rear RS29s hold up? I wonder if they don't translate well to the bigger pad width.

How is the initial bite of the RS29s compared to the PFC11s? I really don't like high initial bite pads. Makes it difficult to just use a little brake to set the nose.

As far as bedding I usually switch between the stock pads and pagids since they play well together. Bed on the way to the track or at the track. Never had an issue with pagids using this method. Are the PFC's compatible with the stock pad material?
I think I had something like 1500-2000km when I switched the front. But it was horrible at the end and I had no fun : increased braking distance and very noticeable fade...
The rear wears better, and I kept them with my PFC11 on the front. But don't forget that the wear can vary depending how you drive (aids), and I would say that I'm quite "conservative".
I can't really tell about initial bite, it feels the same. Maybe stronger for PFC11. I would need to check data to get the comparison. The main difference is the longevity.
I have no idea how PFC/OEM(Pagid) compound can mix. I keep those PFC11 for my DD and they are up to the job!
My tracks are Nurburgring GP and SPA.

It could be me only having a bad experience with those RS29, due to bad bedding-in or DD, but I have heard the same thing from 2 local shops : performance decreasing around 50%.
Old 08-12-2018, 12:38 PM
PorscheRuminator
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Reviving an old thread

Hello all

I was trying to keep my .2 GT3 stock and I was happy with the stock brake performance initially, but like many who track I need more longevity (primary concern) and performance (a close second in importance) from the brakes. The center lock pain in the rear is motivation enough to want less frequent pad changes! I have been doing HPDEs for 10 years in Corvettes, Caymans, now GT3 which tops them all. My primary tracks are Road America which is the hardest on pads (155+ to 50s downhill turn 5 will do that) and Autobahn Country Club.

For those tracking 991 (preferably .2) GT3s, is the current consensus same as above?

Thanks
Old 08-12-2018, 12:44 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,652 Likes on 768 Posts

^^Thats exactly my motivation.
i don’t like to do it myself with the fixed calipers so if a pad lasts longer, it’s quickly cheaper.
Longest lasting steel pads are Race Technologies RE10.

Or ceramics ST rotors with Pagids for longer rotor and pad wear.
Old 08-12-2018, 12:53 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

I just traded my GT3 (PCCB conversion to Girodisc steels), so may have some new-in-box Ferodo DS1.11 front and rears.
let me check my stash, if you are interested.
Old 08-12-2018, 01:37 PM
Akunob

Received 898 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by kfmcmahon
I just traded my GT3 (PCCB conversion to Girodisc steels), so may have some new-in-box Ferodo DS1.11 front and rears.
let me check my stash, if you are interested.
Intereted, let me know about the DS1.11s if you have any. Thx

Quick Reply: Track Pads...