Sponsored by:

Michelin PSS on 991 GT3 - Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 12:21 PM
kencollinsjr
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Michelin PSS on 991 GT3 - Impressions

I know some / many of you have mounted Michelin Pilot Super Sports on your GT3s instead of the PSC2s or other options. If you have actually experienced them on the GT3, can you please comment on:

- Resistance to hydroplaning (especially at highway speeds with large amounts of water accumulation). I realize that it's still a wide tire, but on long trips, am finding the float tendencies of the PSC2 to be unsafe. And, it can be unsafe to slow down to 35-40 mph when other traffic is still moving quickly.

- Non-track grip levels (spirited backroads driving) - any issues with the grip levels perceived? I know these tires can get a little "greasy" feeling with sustained track lapping, but I mostly drive my GT3 on the road, so am willing to give up track capability for wet weather performance.

- Comfort levels: any major improvements in road noise or ride harshness? I imagine the softer sidewall will make a large difference?

- Any other drawbacks (e.g., less precise handling / sharpness of turn-in)?

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-23-2015, 12:28 PM
Scott997
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Great question I am interested as well. Ran them on my last GT3 worked great. We get so much rain in Florida, would rather MPSS
Old 09-23-2015, 12:40 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,061 Likes on 547 Posts

I used MPSS tires on my 10 GT3 and currently have 7000 mi. on the set on my 15 GT3.
They are more than competent in the rain on the highway.
I've had no issues with losing grip on back roads. Also use them on track.
They make for a fairly comfortable ride. I haven't found anything objectionable in noise levels.
I'll be driving on the current set next week in the Smokies. I'd be happy to let you take a ride in my car for comparison.
Old 09-23-2015, 12:59 PM
kencollinsjr
Rennlist Member

Thanks Alan! I might take you up on that. Safe travels.
Old 09-23-2015, 01:28 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,119 Posts

For road use these are great tires.
On my 997 i've never found myself at the limit on the road/canyons (nowhere near)
Ran them on track and they are about .2-.3g less in hard corners at limit than NT01
Old 09-23-2015, 02:53 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,259 Likes on 613 Posts

I have not run them on GT3, but I have run them street and track on my M3. They are brilliant in the rain.

On the track, there is one "secret" about them. They squeal like an orgasming pig WAY BEFORE they are at optimal slip angle. I guess it's a safety feature. So when they start making noise at about 1-1.1G, keep pushing, and you can get 1.2G on them. Of course, everyone will think you are about to crash, and I was even blackflagged for "drifting" once (there was no drifting, just the noise), but in fact it's possible to go much faster than it seems on these tires.
Old 09-24-2015, 02:56 AM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 32 Posts

MPSS is very good on wet track.

I went up to 190km/hr on a very wet track on the long straight (picture below) before I feel some hydroplaning.
Old 09-24-2015, 10:30 PM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

I use the MPSS as my winter tire set for my 2014 GT3. Excellent tire. The wet grip is outstanding and while the tires are fairly new, you won't feel any hydroplaning up to 90 MPH, and the car feels very planted. I was also really surprised by the dry grip. On the street, you won't notice much difference in grip levels, and when the temperatures dip below 50F, I found the MPSS on the street has a better dry grip than the Cup 2 tires since the cup tires need to warm up before you can take advantage of their excellent grip, and not much so for the MPSS tires. However on a dry track, the Cup 2 has clear advantage over the MPSS, but even at the lower grip levels on dry track compared to CUP2, I still found the MPSS tires to be excellent in terms of grip, although they would not hold up as well in terms of wear & performance after so many laps. So for the street, the MPSS is an excellent choice and better suited to the GT3 and especially in the wet or at lower ambient temperatures, and of course comfort levels. Mark
Old 09-24-2015, 11:18 PM
kencollinsjr
Rennlist Member

Thanks Mark. You were who I had in mind when I thought about the Michelin PSS fitment. Great to hear. I have had some long road trips where highways have gotten a bit too dicey for my liking. Have the PSS on my mom's Cayman and my DD (Audi RS4) and very satisfied with them. But the wider cross-section and different tread pattern vs. what you get on the Audi size had me wondering. Glad to hear. I think my PSC2 is getting close to done in the rear, so debate for me will be whether to stick w/ just a new set of rear PSC2s given my fronts have plenty of life left or whether to switch now to PSS -- we shall see.
Old 09-24-2015, 11:46 PM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kencollinsjr
Thanks Mark. You were who I had in mind when I thought about the Michelin PSS fitment. Great to hear. I have had some long road trips where highways have gotten a bit too dicey for my liking. Have the PSS on my mom's Cayman and my DD (Audi RS4) and very satisfied with them. But the wider cross-section and different tread pattern vs. what you get on the Audi size had me wondering. Glad to hear. I think my PSC2 is getting close to done in the rear, so debate for me will be whether to stick w/ just a new set of rear PSC2s given my fronts have plenty of life left or whether to switch now to PSS -- we shall see.
You are very welcome. Considering we are in the fall and winter is coming I would get the MPSS and leave them on till end of April then switch back to your cup 2 tires replacing the rears, and enjoying them through out the summer until Next October. I found that having both sets helps stretch the life of both sets considerably and overall will give you a combined longer life which is a plus for me since most of the time the Cup 2 tires are not always in stock and back ordered. Good luck and let me know how do you like them if you end up getting them. Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any other questions. Mark
Old 09-24-2015, 11:59 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 79 Posts

This is great stuff. Thanks for asking the question and of course the great answers for those that have done it.
Old 09-25-2015, 12:14 PM
sebearstian
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great stuff here! May I also propose users of the PZeros to share their experience, especially in comparison to the MPSS? They are the alternative with a N rating and are standard on the non GT cars.
Old 09-25-2015, 01:25 PM
RobertR1
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 43 Posts

My impression are from a Z06 comparing MPSS to cup2's but should apply just as well.

For street, backroad and spirited driving, the MPSS is absolutely the better tire. They don't require high operating temps to be sticky. They're not a lightswitch on cold days or cold tires. The MPSS will handle water better. They won't pick as much road debris and pepper your car. The cup 2's are an amazing tire for track usage. Keep them there.

If you do a lot of backroads mainly, I'd recommend getting some camber in the car or the edges will wear out much fast. Same goes for any tire though.
Old 09-26-2015, 06:59 AM
KINGSRULE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

All great points
Trouble is you can't get MPSS rears. Backordered for months. Michelin as a tire supplier suck.
Old 09-26-2015, 05:47 PM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Spoke to Michelin at Rennsport. Rear MPSS for 991 GT3 may be available mid November.
Should be handy as I am in Seattle.

Quick Reply: Michelin PSS on 991 GT3 - Impressions