TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Old 09-26-2015, 04:24 PM
Peterfirst
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi Peter:

Glad you and Mrs. Trakcar are enjoying car and scenery! Also glad that everything seems to be working out quite nicely (luggage, trailer etc.).
Loaded the GT3 on the trailer yesterday. I will be busy until late Tuesday and not around home until then. A bit hectic at the moment but really looking forward to meet you in Spa on Wednesday. Just hope it is not raining in Spa like last weekend - too many cars crashed

I will arrive in Spa late night on Tuesday so guess we will not see before Wednesday morning briefing. Hope we can set up something to have dinner together on Wednesday evening after a day full of Spa fun

Take care and enjoy!!!!!
Peter
Old 09-26-2015, 05:41 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Hi Peter, wanted to give you a call back but was driving the whole evening. We just got back from Rinaldi.
We will also leave Tuesday after Scuderia S7 wraps up, so we wont be early in Spa either. See you Wednesday.

Settings; What do you guys think? I think its a good medium DE setup for OEM tires but I'll watch the wear.
-3 Front
-2.5 Rear
Toe Front 0
Toe rear 2mm in each side
Dropped the front 3 clicks whatever that means
Front and rear bar left in the middle as the car came
Temporary clear bra installed
SRF brake fluid flush
Engine oil flush
Fire bottle
2 sets of tires ready to go
Harness bar Harnesses, tow hooks and brake pads still stuck in customs..
We will stop by Rinaldi to pick the official TRAKCAR support van (Below), trailer all that stuff up on the way from Spa to the RedBull ring on Friday,

I asked how my tires and OEM pads were and they asked me how much I tracked it in the 700Km's... I answered 16 newbie Ring laps.
They answered its all like new, drive faster or you wont need any of that stuff here LOL. Good guys, 20 minutes from the Ring.

We had fun and the car is safely parked in fast company in the basement :-)
Best lap so far, still slow but were having fun :-)
Attached Images    

Last edited by TRAKCAR; 09-26-2015 at 06:03 PM.
Old 09-26-2015, 09:41 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,798 Likes on 2,196 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Settings; What do you guys think? I think its a good medium DE setup for OEM tires but I'll watch the wear.
-3 Front
-2.5 Rear
Toe Front 0
For the regular GT3, there's a lot of discussion about settings in Orthojoe's track build thread. Seems that Porsche has these cars pretty dialed in for the track out of the box, so I'd leave the settings at factory until you get the car home and get expert guidance on what to change. If you get too much tire wear at the outer edges, try increasing the pressure to the move the contact patches towards the center of the tread.
Old 09-27-2015, 12:07 AM
krisa9977
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Peter, wanted to give you a call back but was driving the whole evening. We just got back from Rinaldi.
We will also leave Tuesday after Scuderia S7 wraps up, so we wont be early in Spa either. See you Wednesday.

-3 Front
-2.5 Rear
Toe Front 0
Temporary clear bra installed
SRF brake fluid flush
Engine oil flush
Those are terrible settings, especially for DE driver and especially for 991GT3. You can get sudden mid-corner oversteer in slow corners like Wehrsifen and put yourself in trouble. If you are cruising over 8 minutes without making mistakes(you drive very good and safe on your video) you will not see any difference with any alignment, but if you try to push, or make a mistake those settings might put you in trouble.
To be safe, I would suggest more camber in the rear then in front (for example -2.5 front and -3 rear) and extra 1 mm each side toe in front and rear. For DE driver with no Ring experience factory settings would be optimal.

ps: You should ask Marco Seefried or Norbert Siedler about alignment settings for your car. They drive with Rinaldi in Blancpain championship. Those guys one of the world best and fastest Porsche race drivers. Would be interesting to hear what they say about 991GT3. However I'm not sure if they have much experience with street car.

Last edited by krisa9977; 09-27-2015 at 12:54 AM.
Old 09-27-2015, 03:35 AM
Nur93
Burning Brakes

Received 156 Likes on 76 Posts

Nice video Peter, also very nice to meet you in person. I kind of wish I did own a 991 GT3 RS, very cool car and the right paint on it as Well. You are doing fine on track, its not easy the first laps in new car as well! In regards of camber I Will not say anything, it very individual. But I test the temp on mine as Well to relly know what accually fit my pace/style of driving.

As of Marco sefree I can For sure validate, he is top notch as instuctor and as Well feeling out car. My norwegian friend know him Well and I had him as instuctor at granturismo event in maj. I did go a 7.36 lap in traffic and he stay in My rear bumper all lap. Then we talk and he gave nice feedback. He did notice I dont light up my brake light all that much. Thats a common thing on nur, people braking way to much. Google him up and ring him up, he Will instuct.
Old 09-27-2015, 04:01 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Nur93, nice to meet you as well. I wish I could drive the Ring like you. No amount of purple will fix my driving

I was laughing at myself in the car over braking everywhere! I need more *****, but I don't want to here, I have seen enough carnage, wow. Today will be crazy busy I assume, I hope to get a test lap in to make sure the car does nothing funny at my low speed.

Felt fine after the change yesterday in comfy driving on the road 20 miles yesterday in slow traffic speeds.

Car felt fine stock, MPSC in front seem to wear outside edge. Ran in the door pressures hot 29F 33R.
If anything there was some under steer but that was my driving, faster in slow corners, slower in fast corners being well within the cars limits it took a good lap of 9 minutes to get the tires up.

Made changes based on what I know from 997RS and anticipating pushing the car harder on the front tires as I get more comfortable at the Ring / going to easy safer tracks next.

I'll go out today and feel the car out for a few laps but it's a big traffic day so more caution than pushing the car....Monday and Tuesday are track days, with Manthey track support, if I really find a negative effect, I ask Manthey to make a change. Or maybe they have some advise.

I have 2 additional sets of MPSC2 with me, so not too worried about risking killing off the tires for this trip experimenting during 20 track days 8-9 different tracks so I can learn what works best coming home with the car going forward.

Absolutely I need more instruction. Kobalt has shown me the way and tomorrow and Tuesday instruction at Scuderia S7.
Wednesday we are at Spa but I will have one more day at the Ring with this car Oct26. Baby steps...
Old 09-27-2015, 04:19 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 418 Likes on 197 Posts

See you on the track, or maybe not . Very foggy in Breidsheid right now. Name:  photo907.jpg
Views: 1780
Size:  515.5 KB

Last edited by Kobalt; 09-27-2015 at 07:02 AM.
Old 09-27-2015, 08:05 AM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You need to be careful with photos at the ring - have you seen the rather large genitals in one of yours Peter?
Old 09-27-2015, 08:20 AM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 235 Posts

Thanks for posting that video Trakcar, not only do you own an amazing RS, but I think it is totally cool that your wife is a willing accomplice. Not many can say they have both!

Looks like you stayed safe and car is in one piece. Kudos, not easy when people go by. I know. In my case is was Renaults and like passing me! But reality is they know the circuit and keep it hammered down on those blind turns. Nearly impossible to do safely for us newbees. After running that course I came up with an invention - The Audible Coach - a computer generator voice that would let you know what is up ahead. The car would say "Peter, brake zone ahead". Or, "faster, you are 5mph slower than your reference". How hard would that be to do? - Harry are you listening, perhap your next update?

By the way, how did you get those incredible pictures of your car - especially the ones that appear taken from the track???
Old 09-27-2015, 08:25 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 916 Posts

I was laughing at myself in the car over braking everywhere! I need more *****, but I don't want to here, I have seen enough carnage, wow.
You're playing it smart Peter. Save the pushing for home track or the parking-lot Paul Ricard circuit where risk is minimal. Bring it home in one piece; plenty of time for stupid down the road.
Old 09-27-2015, 08:34 AM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Nur93, nice to meet you as well. I wish I could drive the Ring like you. No amount of purple will fix my driving

I was laughing at myself in the car over braking everywhere! I need more *****, but I don't want to here, I have seen enough carnage, wow. Today will be crazy busy I assume, I hope to get a test lap in to make sure the car does nothing funny at my low speed.

Felt fine after the change yesterday in comfy driving on the road 20 miles yesterday in slow traffic speeds.

Car felt fine stock, MPSC in front seem to wear outside edge. Ran in the door pressures hot 29F 33R.
If anything there was some under steer but that was my driving, faster in slow corners, slower in fast corners being well within the cars limits it took a good lap of 9 minutes to get the tires up.

Made changes based on what I know from 997RS and anticipating pushing the car harder on the front tires as I get more comfortable at the Ring / going to easy safer tracks next.

I'll go out today and feel the car out for a few laps but it's a big traffic day so more caution than pushing the car....Monday and Tuesday are track days, with Manthey track support, if I really find a negative effect, I ask Manthey to make a change. Or maybe they have some advise.

I have 2 additional sets of MPSC2 with me, so not too worried about risking killing off the tires for this trip experimenting during 20 track days 8-9 different tracks so I can learn what works best coming home with the car going forward.

Absolutely I need more instruction. Kobalt has shown me the way and tomorrow and Tuesday instruction at Scuderia S7.
Wednesday we are at Spa but I will have one more day at the Ring with this car Oct26. Baby steps...
This is so awesome, loving following your adventure.
Old 09-27-2015, 08:56 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,798 Likes on 2,196 Posts

With the regular 991 GT3, I know several experienced drivers who took a while to get used to the car, and some of them were initially slower in the 991 GT3 than their prior 997 GT3. I myself was slow in the 991 GT3 when I tracked the car for the first time at VIR, mainly because I didn't want to wreck my expensive beautiful new car at my first event (and I had no track insurance at the time). Some things that helped me:

- Rode with three other 991 GT3 drivers who were faster than me.
- Early on, took the car to a smaller local track where I could push it much harder and get a sense of the limits by doing some controlled overdriving.
- Spent an hour on a semi-wet skidpad with stability control both on and off.
- Eventually got track insurance, roll bar, harnesses, and HANS.

I'm now at about 4K track miles on the car at a variety of tracks, and one thing I've learned is that the car is particularly good at finding more grip if you lean on it harder, so often the best response when seemingly coming into a corner a bit hot, rather than attempting to throttle steer, is to add some steering input and throttle, which makes the car dig in, plants the rear, holds the line, and increases speed. Of course there's still a limit, and this is only a general statement, so please experiment with this incrementally where safe to do so!
Old 09-27-2015, 10:02 AM
Peterfirst
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi Peter:

Was great talking to you today and hopefully you did like your "stardom" . Also I hope you managed to gete some safe laps in the tourist traffic. Guess you learn a lot the next two days and I am looking forward to more training in Spa. NBR is hairy but you also need some ***** in Spa for some of the fast corners - but I promise tons of fun.

Take care and see you @ Spa!

BR

Peter

Quick Reply: TRAKCAR does ED