Sponsored by:

** The "market adjustment" issue **

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 01:36 AM
inactiveuser7616
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
Obviously I personally don't want to pay more. We are having a philosophical debate here to pass the time and because it's interesting. And my simple point is this. Based on how the market is behaving the cars are under priced AND under produced. Long waiting lists. Cars trading back at msrp with thousands of miles on them. 25, 50, 100k premiums just for a build allocation. PAG could increase price and supply by 10% easily. Right now all the excess market adjustment profit is sitting with dealers and flippers and Porsche is leaving $ on the table.
I gotcha... Now I follow your thought. Thanks.

Though...I've worked for manufacturers for 16 years. It's incumbent upon each dealer to justify their value over other dealers. And they have the ability to price their product however they like.
You could say they are a VAR (value added reseller).
I would think if PAG thought they could raise the price without undue disruption, I would THINK they would. And ultimately, I would venture to guess the GT market is mid single digit percent of their business.
Maybe they leave it this way to give the dealers a way to make more profit but yet tell the public they 'frown and discourage' this behavior so they don't get involved.
I know when I'm working with a partner selling my product, I only quote MSRP to the customer and let the partner provide the real number. This way, we don't get accused by any one partner that we are playing 'favorites', etc... Just safer to stay out of it.
Old 09-10-2015, 01:38 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts

Wikipedia...

' Hermes bag' a ******* with herpes.
Old 09-10-2015, 02:25 AM
tims16m
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 42 Posts

I think it would be ridiculous to buy a 1M car just to have access to 100K or 200K car. To put that much capital idle, to have VIP status for an allocation is insane. It would make more sense to pay a reasonable premium on a car you want than to sink at least 1M into an asset that could depreciate but also will have high carrying costs.

Now if you really are enthralled with the 918, the performance, the cutting edge technology, the aura of the best hypercar of the bunch, then I say buy the car for what it is and not the VIP status. I test drove the 918 and it is simply the coolest machine I have ever been in and has a performance that will leave you speechless. I bought one not because of the VIP perks. If you look at all the technology and engineering that went into the 918, I'm not sure they made a big margin on the car. Comparing the cost to performance, it is the outright winner over the other two hypercars. The VIP status is the cherry on top. I doubt anyone would be foolish enough to say "there is a million dollar car I'm not interested in but I'll buy one just to get VIP privileges". I'm not convinced that the VIP status changed anyone's decision to buy or not to buy.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:30 AM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 411 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by tims16m
I think it would be ridiculous to buy a 1M car just to have access to 100K or 200K car. To put that much capital idle, to have VIP status for an allocation is insane. It would make more sense to pay a reasonable premium on a car you want than to sink at least 1M into an asset that could depreciate but also will have high carrying costs.

Now if you really are enthralled with the 918, the performance, the cutting edge technology, the aura of the best hypercar of the bunch, then I say buy the car for what it is and not the VIP status. I test drove the 918 and it is simply the coolest machine I have ever been in and has a performance that will leave you speechless. I bought one not because of the VIP perks. If you look at all the technology and engineering that went into the 918, I'm not sure they made a big margin on the car. Comparing the cost to performance, it is the outright winner over the other two hypercars. The VIP status is the cherry on top. I doubt anyone would be foolish enough to say "there is a million dollar car I'm not interested in but I'll buy one just to get VIP privileges". I'm not convinced that the VIP status changed anyone's decision to buy or not to buy.
I am willing to bet that the 918 buyers were always going to buy a 918, just my guess as I certainly don't live in that neighborhood. The perk just tipped the scale so they would sign up sooner. Local dealer got 4 GT4 allocations, 3 of them VIP/918 slots. All 3 took one. My friend got their forth slot. Dealer put him first in line because the VIP people wanted the LWBS. His order got the seats rejected and he was pissed enough to cancel. Lucky for him his dealer was able to get a fifth slot for December build. MSRP too.
My dealer had a hard time getting anybody to fill his 918 slot(s). By the time the cars were close to shipping he had people coming from everywhere to buy one. Only sold one from what I heard.

A dealer asking for more $ when your car arrives is just wrong though. That can cost them a customer for life.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:59 AM
tims16m
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Mussl Kar
I am willing to bet that the 918 buyers were always going to buy a 918, just my guess as I certainly don't live in that neighborhood. The perk just tipped the scale so they would sign up sooner. Local dealer got 4 GT4 allocations, 3 of them VIP/918 slots. All 3 took one. My friend got their forth slot. Dealer put him first in line because the VIP people wanted the LWBS. His order got the seats rejected and he was pissed enough to cancel. Lucky for him his dealer was able to get a fifth slot for December build. MSRP too.
My dealer had a hard time getting anybody to fill his 918 slot(s). By the time the cars were close to shipping he had people coming from everywhere to buy one. Only sold one from what I heard.

A dealer asking for more $ when your car arrives is just wrong though. That can cost them a customer for life.
I'm not clear on what happened at your dealership. The dealer had a hard time selling/filling the 918 slots or they had a hard time selling the GT4s allocated to those positions?

I don't believe there any specific 918 allocations to dealerships as the way traditional allocations were handled. My understanding, 918s were actually sold thru PCNA and the dealership was the middleman. 918s were sold to individuals supposedly before production was started for each car. I'm sure there were deviations in that plan. As far as VIP allocations, those allocations were suppose to be additional cars above and beyond what the dealership was originally slated for. Thats how it was explained to me by my dealership.
Old 09-10-2015, 12:15 PM
goin2drt
Race Car

Received 682 Likes on 376 Posts

It is sort of related.

I didn't want to post in the for sale thread and didn't want to start another thread.

These dealers in here and their asking prices for some of their cars are just stupid. I get it I have heard it all; capitalism, market will determine, these are just asking prices yaddah, yaddah, yaddah. They are just nuts. There are way better prices out there then these guys are asking. Great they get beautiful used cars, great they "offer them to us first" whatever that means. Who in there right mind would even call those guys. I may be the only one in the history of buying cars but I wouldn't even do business with a dealer or person that wants to advertise such crazy prices. I don't care that it is a "starting point" or that they actually would sell it for less. To me it is the practice they implore that just disgusts me. I may be the only person that feels this way but who really cares. It my hard earned money and I will take it elsewhere.
Old 09-10-2015, 12:22 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts
Default ** The "market adjustment" issue **

Talked to a dealer yesterday. Said they sell GT cars at MSRP only to previous customers who have done business with them before seeing the supply is limited from Porsche. Usually in their market. Sounds like the right way to do business and have a long term outlook.

If you have a guy who's bought multiple cars from you in the past, why not keep them a customer for years to come?
Old 09-10-2015, 12:29 PM
goin2drt
Race Car

Originally Posted by STG991
Talked to a dealer yesterday. Said they sell GT cars at MSRP only to previous customers who have done business with them before seeing the supply is limited from Porsche. Usually in their market. Sounds like the right way to do business and have a long term outlook.

If you have a guy who's bought multiple cars from you in the past, why not keep them a customer for years to come?
Amen
Old 09-10-2015, 12:45 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts
Default ** The "market adjustment" issue **

The surprising thing is some of these characters behind some of these eBay, Craiglist, or fake "give me your opinion" postings are some of the highest volume Porsche dealers in the country.

I'm sure they have customers who have bought 10+ cars from them. If I was one of those guys, I'd be pissed. These dealers spend more time trying to squeeze every extra buck out of a premium than trying to keep their loyal customers happy. Shows the distorted priorities they have.
Old 09-10-2015, 12:52 PM
goin2drt
Race Car

The surprising thing is some of these characters behind some of these eBay, Craiglist, or fake "give me your opinion" postings are some of the highest volume Porsche dealers in the country.

I'm sure they have customers who have bought 10+ cars from them. If I was one of those guys, I'd be pissed. These dealers spend more time trying to squeeze every extra buck out of a premium than trying to keep their loyal customers happy. Shows the distorted priorities they have.
Sure and they aren't going out of business because I am taking my ball(or money) and going to play some where else. I just won't do business with them.

To each there own. Some gouge and sell with mark ups or just plain rip people off because they don't care about the extra money or want to spend the time to do the research. They will just pay whatever. Others like you described above will sell for a fair price and build a great customer base of returning customers year after year. They will both do just fine and make a living. I will just deal with the latter.
Old 09-10-2015, 12:56 PM
2slow2speed
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Zero911
What I do fault dealers for is if I am on a wait list and was told MSRP only to have that change when the car comes in. That's a waste of my time and a very ****ty thing to do.
^+1
Old 09-10-2015, 02:29 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 411 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by tims16m
I'm not clear on what happened at your dealership. The dealer had a hard time selling/filling the 918 slots or they had a hard time selling the GT4s allocated to those positions?

I don't believe there any specific 918 allocations to dealerships as the way traditional allocations were handled. My understanding, 918s were actually sold thru PCNA and the dealership was the middleman. 918s were sold to individuals supposedly before production was started for each car. I'm sure there were deviations in that plan. As far as VIP allocations, those allocations were suppose to be additional cars above and beyond what the dealership was originally slated for. Thats how it was explained to me by my dealership.
That makes sense. Then what happened was that their clients who usually buy something like a 918 were asleep. When they woke up there were none left.
Old 09-10-2015, 05:10 PM
goin2drt
Race Car

And another posted. Just unreal.
Old 09-10-2015, 05:58 PM
riotgear
Rennlist Member

Received 469 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Serge944
The PATIENT Porsche buyers never pay markup. Simple as that. No matter GT3 or RS.
+1. In the end I bought a CPO GT3, but below sticker. That's how it should be for a used car.

Last edited by riotgear; 09-10-2015 at 06:47 PM.
Old 09-10-2015, 06:12 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 198 Likes on 116 Posts

And yet they don't ever go out of business.

Quick Reply: ** The "market adjustment" issue **