Sponsored by:

Visit to Porsche & Germany - July 2015

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 07:25 PM
JAM2
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
Congratulations to both Mathfuzzy & JAM2 for choosing to purchase the PCA 60th Anniversary Club Coupe. I personally think its unique (so far) color - 'Club Blau' - will be the best remembered 'club coupe' in history! That color is truly exceptional and brilliant! Mathfuzzy I am sure you will just love the Zellamsee gathering in early September. And, Jam2, sorry you couldn't arrange to change your travel plans and make that special event. But you'll also get to do a wonderful European Delivery vacation with your GTS...so it's a win-win too!

OK, I am beginning to understand. Since your car (pictured above) is waiting for European Delivery in Zuffenhausen later this summer, the storage must be in the Stuttgart/Zuffenhausen or Ludwigsburg area. Perhaps Jam2 can specify for us exactly where this cavernous garage is located? I have never seen this place!

Saludos,
Eduardo
On the banks of the Mosel River in Germany

I believe I have seen this area in June 2011. I showed up unannounced, asked for a factory tour, and took the receptionist by complete surprise. We were told "No" and that the next English tour was in September. We were in Stuttgart for 24 hours only, maybe 36. I then told her that I was a Porsche owner, and that we just did a ED for my friend's BMW M3. I wanted to see how their experience measured up for the next Porsche, if I ever bought new.

She summoned the right guy for me. He was kind enough to walk me around the just completed cars that were awaiting shipments. In this location, I saw the Sport Classic, the 997 Speedster, the Turbo S 918 Spyder edition, and some other unique vehicles. If you enter the main reception area in Zuffenhausen, the building is about a 5 minute walk behind and to the left.

After seeing this area, he then showed me the ED center. After seeing the impressive BMW Welt, I was a bit surprised. It was just a small room with a few cars. at Welt, there is a glitzy elevator that brings the cars up. In the lounge 3 stories above, you look down at your car that is rotating on a turntable. Just straight up amazing! He then mentioned that there was a gentleman from Texas picking up his car the next day, and we could crash his factory tour!!!

And people wonder why I am loyal to this brand!?! It's the car, the experiences, and above all, the people!
Old 07-21-2015, 08:06 PM
JAM2
Rennlist Member

Eduardo,

the other win to the win-win is that I had more time to perfect the car with the options that are important to me. I have to give a huge thank you to Melissa Witek for going over the configuration on multiple occasions. She listened to the things that I liked, and made the appropriate recommendations.

Now that it is locked, I can relax a bit.
Old 07-21-2015, 09:06 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by JAM2
I believe I have seen this area in June 2011...She summoned the right guy for me. He was kind enough to walk me around the just completed cars that were awaiting shipments. In this location, I saw the Sport Classic, the 997 Speedster, the Turbo S 918 Spyder edition, and some other unique vehicles. If you enter the main reception area in Zuffenhausen, the building is about a 5 minute walk behind and to the left.
By 'reception area', you mean the 'Customer Center Zuffenhausen' at 40 PorscheStrasse by the 'principal' (most active) Werk II gate?

The reason I find this photo puzzling is because I don't recognized this seemingly modern building (with its distinctive angled & very tall glass windows for letting natural lighting in) via a cursory look at Google Satellite maps of that area around Werk II or the many photos I have taken over the years around Werk II.

The sun's trajectory over Zuffenhausen forces the orientation of these windows (if they are to work as designed) to be mostly pararell to Adestrasse on the right or Schweiberdinger Strasse on the left. You can see the orientation of the angled factory windows, for example, on the historic Reutter brick building at Werk II, which is next to the assembly building facing Schweiberdinger.

Perhaps around this building in the close-up below? We used to tour this area in the 1980's when the old paint shop or metal stamping building was (I think) around this location...just across the street from the entrance to the 'old' minuscule Porsche museum!

...the older 'pinky-colored' building in the photo below:

...but I don't think that old building could be converted to look like this apparently 'modern' space! There is a lot of wasted 'tall' air space on the garage building in this mystery photo. And space is at a premium in Zuffenhausen!

If you find out from your friend who took the photo you sent to Mathfuzzy, please let me know. I am curious.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Old 07-22-2015, 12:05 AM
JAM2
Rennlist Member

By 'reception area', you mean the 'Customer Center Zuffenhausen' at 40 PorscheStrasse by the 'principal' (most active) Werk II gate?

Perhaps around this building in the close-up below? We used to tour this area in the 1980's when the old paint shop or metal stamping building was (I think) around this location...just across the street from the entrance to the 'old' minuscule Porsche museum!

If you find out from your friend who took the photo you sent to Mathfuzzy, please let me know. I am curious.

Saludos,
Eduardo
I do believe it is the building in the close up picture. I recall the building was one building away from the main entrance / Customer Centre. I will reach out to my contact to ask if he recalls the area that he took us to back in, 2011. I hope his memory is still there.
Old 07-22-2015, 04:00 AM
hets72
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a question for you guys...who among the PCA 'Club Blau' 991 GTS owners was allowed to do European Delivery in early September and attend a special function which I believe will take place in Austria? And is that special function hosted by Dr. Wolfgang Porsche at Zellamsee from Sept 3rd to the 6th - the '2nd Internationale Porsche Tage'? I hope to attend this event at some future date too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkniU9AnCz8#t=143

http://www.zellamsee-kaprun.com/de/n...ts/porschetage

Or is the 'Club Blau' GTS owners get-together in Austria after the European Delivery in Zuffenhausen a completely separate affair?

Saludos,
Eduardo
Germany[/QUOTE]

Hi Eduardo,

I have joined the first event of this about 2 or 3 year's ago in Zell am See and it was really great - Let me know if you want to have contacts for this - and you might find some very special "green" painted cars there....

Helmut
Old 07-22-2015, 05:49 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by hets72

Hi Eduardo,

I have joined the first event of this about 2 or 3 year's ago in Zell am See and it was really great - Let me know if you want to have contacts for this - and you might find some very special "green" painted cars there....

Helmut
Thank you Helmut. I definitely want to do this at some future date, so I will PM you about your contacts.
And yes, I have seen photos of some special 'green' cars like this 'Porsche Exclusive' show car that PAG brought along in a previous year!

For example, this 'Lichtgrün' or 'Birch Green' cabriolet:

That is the same 'Lichtgrün' Carrera S cabriolet that I photographed at Zuffenhausen in 2013 and posted previously in an older thread at Rennlist:

But the lighting made my photograph look more 'green' than this color -'Lichtgrün' - looks in real life!

Saludos,
Eduardo

On the banks of the Mosel River and still under a super humid 'heat wave'
the likes of which I never previously experienced ever in Europe!

Old 07-22-2015, 11:12 AM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

!

Absolutely LOVE this color. I understand and appreciate Porsche's decision to keep this hue exclusive (at least for the time being) but man, I'd love to have this as PTS on my GT4.

Stunning.
Old 07-22-2015, 01:38 PM
SMGT3
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Eduardo, great thread. Keep the updates coming. Thanks.
Old 07-22-2015, 05:21 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default Thanks Blue Flame...

Originally Posted by Blue Flame
@ Eduardo - you are right now just 90 Km from my hometown - enjoy the Wine-Fest at Volkach ;-)

Do you plan to stop at Porsche Classic at Freiberg am Neckar on your way back? Greetings from Nuremberg
Blueflame
BlueFlame:

I ended up spending Monday night at the 'Weinfest' in nearby Gerolzhofen, just 12 km from Volkach. I have a contact there with someone who
works for the local newspaper 'Main Post'. And shortly I will post on the subject of why I was in this area. But as a sneak preview, let me just
say that it involves Schweinfurt, B-17 bombers & WWII.

I'll be coming back in a couple of years & hope to stop by 'Porsche Classic' at Freiberg am Neckar. Thanks for the suggestion!
And maybe you & I can meet in Nuremberg...I have never been to your historic city!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Traben-Trarbach, Mosel Area
Old 07-22-2015, 06:16 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow Eduardo what a great trip....I went back to Schweinfurt myself on my last visit and it brought back some nice childhood memories of my dad flying Cobras back over our house from field exercises in 80's to Army base. Grandfather grew up in Stuttgart then moved to U.S. just before ww2 started. Both of my uncles moved back to Germany after college and have worked for Porsche since then. My father joined Army after college and was pilot that eventually was stationed in Schweinfurt (a special request to a friend at Pentagon so we could be closer to my Dad's brothers in Stuttgart) when I was a young tike (I still have Schaeffler (***) bearing keychains they used to hand out to kids in town square) and have been back almost every year to visit my uncles and other family that are still over there. Have fun and as always enjoying your posts!

Last edited by sccchiii; 07-22-2015 at 10:08 PM.
Old 07-22-2015, 06:29 PM
Blue Flame
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

Eduardo,

you are always welcome at Nuremberg/Nürnberg !!!
There is a lot to see for you - unfortunately my own 964 RS is just boring Polarsilver and no PTS. ;-)

Enjoy your trip - and good luck for the search for crashed fighter planes... :-)

Frank
Old 07-22-2015, 06:30 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

964RS, do tell / share a photo LOL!!
Old 07-22-2015, 06:42 PM
Blue Flame
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
964RS, do tell / share a photo LOL!!
Just a quick one from last week - sorry for OT Eduardo.

Frank

Old 07-22-2015, 06:55 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Its GTSilver? Wow, man oh man a real RS.
This is more interesting in Silver than a 991 in any color...
Do you have more OT we need to know about?
Old 07-22-2015, 09:48 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

note the plate !

Quick Reply: Visit to Porsche & Germany - July 2015