991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 10:39 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,799 Likes on 2,197 Posts
Default Rotors

Below are couple of pics of my front rotors. I'm thinking they're just about done. Do you guys agree?

More general question is what our options for rotors are. Besides OEM, and AP Racing for the front, any other options? And what's the best source for OEM?
Old 06-09-2015, 10:52 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Rotors

I would say those are done or close to being done. How many track days/miles on them?
I believe RB is another option for aftermarket rotors
Old 06-09-2015, 10:57 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by orthojoe
I would say those are done or close to being done. How many track days/miles on them?
I believe RB is another option for aftermarket rotors
About 2000 track miles. What's RB?

What rotors and pads are you currently using on your car?
Old 06-09-2015, 11:10 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Default Rotors

Originally Posted by Manifold
About 2000 track miles. What's RB?

What rotors and pads are you currently using on your car?
2000 track miles is about 16-18 track days, so not bad, IMO.

RB = racing brake

I'm using AP rotors and ferodo DS1.11 pads currently. A couple other rennlist guys are using this setup now too. All good reviews so far.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:36 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by orthojoe
2000 track miles is about 16-18 track days, so not bad, IMO.

RB = racing brake

I'm using AP rotors and ferodo DS1.11 pads currently. A couple other rennlist guys are using this setup now too. All good reviews so far.
Is the AP rotor available for the rear? And what's the best source for the Ferodo pads? I looked at the Apex website and couldn't find them there.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:38 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Default Rotors

Is the AP rotor available for the rear? And what's the best source for the Ferodo pads? I looked at the Apex website and couldn't find them there.
Rear AP rotors aren't available yet, but should be soon.

You'll have to call Clark at apex or Jeff at Essex to get the ferodo pads, but they sell them
Old 06-09-2015, 11:51 AM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I believe Apex has the best price on them. I'm really liking the setup as well.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:59 AM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 604 Likes on 342 Posts

Hi,
We are waiting for the rear AP Racing discs to arrive, and we're being told that they'll be here very soon (it is a new product). I will update everyone as soon as they hit our warehouse. We quickly sold out of our first batch of front hats, and the second batch is nearing completion. We should be able to ship the front discs out in roughly a week from today.

You can see details on each on our website:
Front AP Racing J Hook Discs for 991 GT3

Rear AP Racing J Hook Discs for 991 GT3

You can get the Ferodo pads through Apex, or through us (essex). The front and rear DS1.11's are in stock and ready to ship:

Front Ferodo DS1.11 for 991 GT3

Rear Ferodo DS1.11 for 991 GT3
Essex Designed AP Racing Radi-CAL Competition Brake Kits & 2-piece J Hook Discs
Ferodo Racing Brake Pads
Spiegler Stainless Steel Brake Lines
704-824-6030
jeff.ritter@essexparts.com

Old 06-10-2015, 12:42 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,150 Likes on 568 Posts

@Manifold - the rotors seem to have decent amount of life left in them, because the cracks are not real cracks but rather deep heat-checks. They do not seem to be going deep enough to make rotor unsafe. In fact, I had similar checking on the first set of rotors, but when I switched to more aggressive pads, the pads soon scrubbed the layer of metal deep enough for these checks to pretty much disappear, while rotors were still beyond minimum thickness.

Your rotors are thicker than minimal because the dimples (the fake holes) are still pretty deep, and they disappear when rotors are below minimal thickness.

Having said that, please use your own judgment and do not hold me responsible. I am not known for being responsible - my last track day I set personal best with one backing plate gently touching a rotor...

It's peculiar - with gentle pads stock rotors seem to heat-check a lot, and with aggressive pads, metal is eaten away quickly enough that cracks have no chance to start forming. My current set or rotors has mirror finish, but only 1/2 of thickness left. I'm switching to less aggressive pad (PFC 11 first and then Ferodos) and to AP Racing rotors once current setup is done.
Old 06-10-2015, 03:44 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Manifold, you probably already know this but it would be smart to look at them after every session if you keep using them.
Old 06-10-2015, 04:16 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
@Manifold - the rotors seem to have decent amount of life left in them, because the cracks are not real cracks but rather deep heat-checks. They do not seem to be going deep enough to make rotor unsafe. In fact, I had similar checking on the first set of rotors, but when I switched to more aggressive pads, the pads soon scrubbed the layer of metal deep enough for these checks to pretty much disappear, while rotors were still beyond minimum thickness.

Your rotors are thicker than minimal because the dimples (the fake holes) are still pretty deep, and they disappear when rotors are below minimal thickness.

Having said that, please use your own judgment and do not hold me responsible. I am not known for being responsible - my last track day I set personal best with one backing plate gently touching a rotor...

It's peculiar - with gentle pads stock rotors seem to heat-check a lot, and with aggressive pads, metal is eaten away quickly enough that cracks have no chance to start forming. My current set or rotors has mirror finish, but only 1/2 of thickness left. I'm switching to less aggressive pad (PFC 11 first and then Ferodos) and to AP Racing rotors once current setup is done.
Originally Posted by paver
Manifold, you probably already know this but it would be smart to look at them after every session if you keep using them.
Rule of thumb I've used is that the rotors are done when cracks connect two holes or extend to the edge of the rotor. I'm not there yet, but getting close. With rotor fracture being a sudden failure with bad consequences - and my being a structural engineer trained to be averse to cracks - I'm leaning towards doing one more day with the current rotors (agreed on checking after every session), then replacing the rotors before my next event, which will be 3 days and far from home.

I went ahead and ordered the AP front rotors and Ferodo pads.
Old 06-10-2015, 05:26 PM
Clark-ApexPerformance
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Manifold,
Thanks for your order. Think you will be happy with both the AP rotors and Ferodo pads.

ApexPerformance.net
Premier Racing Outfitters

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: chamerly@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist-10 on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

PCA Club Racing - National Sponsor
Old 06-10-2015, 05:43 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,150 Likes on 568 Posts

Rule of thumb I've used is that the rotors are done when cracks connect two holes or extend to the edge of the rotor. I'm not there yet, but getting close. With rotor fracture being a sudden failure with bad consequences - and my being a structural engineer trained to be averse to cracks - I'm leaning towards doing one more day with the current rotors (agreed on checking after every session), then replacing the rotors before my next event, which will be 3 days and far from home.

I went ahead and ordered the AP front rotors and Ferodo pads.
Yep, I'd replace them before a 3-day event too. Not worth the risk of losing track time, and worrying about rotors can take away from driving enjoyment.
Old 06-11-2015, 10:53 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Below are couple of pics of my front rotors. I'm thinking they're just about done. Do you guys agree?

More general question is what our options for rotors are. Besides OEM, and AP Racing for the front, any other options? And what's the best source for OEM?
I think they are like new?

Cracks going to the edge or connecting holes are worry some but I found that as long as the rotor is not cracked all the way through its fine.

Just because of that I don't like rotors with holes in them, even though the rear drilled rotors lasted forever.

OEM has been decent buy with the harder braking and heavier faster 991's I am looking for solid rotors and brake pads.

Clarke at Apex is good people and he knows what works and what doesn't

Quick Reply: Rotors