Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Engine control fault, consult a workshop, driving permitted" - ok to track it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 03:11 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by calpolo17
Holy crap....this would scare the heck out of me.
The prospect of needing to have the car dragged out of my garage stuck in the park position in order to have it towed to the dealer for a simple ECU reset was scary indeed. Thank goodness all it took was a $50 scanner to get the car back in working order. Note to self: remember to connect the ECU BEFORE you start up the car...
Old 06-30-2015, 04:17 PM
vtxdrew
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan C.
1. Oil supply
2. Improper heat treat of the cam. Depth and surface hardness.
3. Surface texture on the cam
4. Higher than expected contact pressure on the cam

Consider that these are low production cars. Not sure how many cams the supplier can batch process. It could easily be 50.
Received the car back with a new 2016 engine. Related to your thoughts above, the 16s have a new oil filter. This suggests that there may have been a some tweeking of the oil supply and it might be the root cause of my problem. Thankfully Porsche took care of everything seamlessly for me. Another break in period...darn.
Old 06-30-2015, 04:59 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 340 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by vtxdrew
Received the car back with a new 2016 engine. Related to your thoughts above, the 16s have a new oil filter. This suggests that there may have been a some tweeking of the oil supply and it might be the root cause of my problem. Thankfully Porsche took care of everything seamlessly for me. Another break in period...darn.
This is interesting...about the oil filter. I'm just curious,I'm not implying anything...but would you be able to provide more details about what you mean by " new oil filter " ? Perhaps any pics?
Thanks.
Old 06-30-2015, 05:09 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
This is interesting...about the oil filter. I'm just curious,I'm not implying anything...but would you be able to provide more details about what you mean by " new oil filter " ? Perhaps any pics?
Thanks.
+1
Old 06-30-2015, 06:46 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default "Engine control fault, consult a workshop, driving permitted" - ok to track it?

Interested too. Sounds like it could just be an oil filter brand/design change. They would definitely not change an engine oiling system during series production (other than to recall every engine as they did before). My guess is it's a different flow design filter which perhaps they feel works better. Pure speculation. The Latest pET will show any part number changes...
Old 06-30-2015, 06:57 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 998 Likes on 515 Posts
Default "Engine control fault, consult a workshop, driving permitted" - ok to track it?

I just had my oil changed for the second time last week, 5000 mi. I'll ask my parts person if they know anything about a new for 2016 oil filter.
Old 07-01-2015, 04:33 AM
Shahano
Burning Brakes

my car is a march 2015 production. Still 2015 model, does it have the new filter?
Old 07-01-2015, 11:28 PM
vtxdrew
Intermediate

Thanks.
Stopped in to talk with my tech to clarify this. He said it is definitely different, but appears to have the same part number, which puzzled me. Finally having the SharkWerks center delete bypass put on next week and I will have him take a photo for me when that is being done.
Old 07-02-2015, 05:30 AM
Shahano
Burning Brakes

interesting.. Will they be retrofitted on the 2015 models??
Old 07-02-2015, 10:25 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,901 Likes on 4,823 Posts

Originally Posted by Shahano
interesting.. Will they be retrofitted on the 2015 models??
Yes, when you change your oil.
Old 07-08-2015, 12:19 PM
gunnyosu
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Ya'll - Just wanted to give a little update to the engine fault I've had ongoing the last few weeks. I broke down and took it to the dealer about 10 days ago and they were concerned with bad fuel (however, they did not take a sample), the code they came up with pointed towards the thermal management system of the car (mechanic said potentially a thermostat). After clearing the code, car ran fine with no issues. Mechanic said he did not see a reason to replace thermostat since the code could not be replicated. At that point, I asked them to change the oil (car has about 1800mi on it). Picked it up and all was well. Car was driving great and a day later the same fault re-appeared. Similar to the 1st time, I could notice a performance decrease even though the light did not say "reduced performace mode, etc".

Car is now back at the dealership and a thermostat has been ordered. Code was 2181. They tell me they are also sending a fuel sample...

Hoping this resolves the issue.
Old 07-08-2015, 12:41 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 340 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by gunnyosu
Hey Ya'll - Just wanted to give a little update to the engine fault I've had ongoing the last few weeks. I broke down and took it to the dealer about 10 days ago and they were concerned with bad fuel (however, they did not take a sample), the code they came up with pointed towards the thermal management system of the car (mechanic said potentially a thermostat). After clearing the code, car ran fine with no issues. Mechanic said he did not see a reason to replace thermostat since the code could not be replicated. At that point, I asked them to change the oil (car has about 1800mi on it). Picked it up and all was well. Car was driving great and a day later the same fault re-appeared. Similar to the 1st time, I could notice a performance decrease even though the light did not say "reduced performace mode, etc".

Car is now back at the dealership and a thermostat has been ordered. Code was 2181. They tell me they are also sending a fuel sample...

Hoping this resolves the issue.
The P2181 is associated with the cooling system as a generic OBD2 code,but since most modern thermostats have an electrical side of the system,the computer will identify a problem much sooner and set a specific code. Since Porsche has had a problem with the supplier of some of the thermostat assemblies lately,I would suspect this is the issue in your case as well.
The fact that you're seeing a " Reduced engine performance " has something to do with the way the computer controlled system works in most modern cars. In order to comply with the strict regulations,most modern engines need to run at a very specific operating temperature. The mechanical side of the thermostat is designed to remain stuck open in case of failure to avoid engine overheating. If the computer sees that the engine is running at a lower than optimal operating temperature,it will set that specific code along the " Reduced engine performance " ,because the engine will be running too rich.
Old 07-08-2015, 12:56 PM
gunnyosu
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The P2181 is associated with the cooling system as a generic OBD2 code,but since most modern thermostats have an electrical side of the system,the computer will identify a problem much sooner and set a specific code. Since Porsche has had a problem with the supplier of some of the thermostat assemblies lately,I would suspect this is the issue in your case as well.
The fact that you're seeing a " Reduced engine performance " has something to do with the way the computer controlled system works in most modern cars. In order to comply with the strict regulations,most modern engines need to run at a very specific operating temperature. The mechanical side of the thermostat is designed to remain stuck open in case of failure to avoid engine overheating. If the computer sees that the engine is running at a lower than optimal operating temperature,it will set that specific code along the " Reduced engine performance " ,because the engine will be running too rich.
That all makes sense neanicu, thanks! Sounds like they are replacing the thermostat today. Planning to pick up tmw if all goes as planned.
Old 07-08-2015, 01:31 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,925 Likes on 2,250 Posts

I just got my oil changed, and mentioned to the shop that there may be an updated oil filter. They checked into it and didn't see anything related to an update, but are using what they believe to be the correct filter for a '15 car.
Old 08-22-2015, 07:41 PM
neuroguru
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Well, I was forced to test out the durametric on the car yesterday. The car threw a code as I was just cruising to a friend's house at 30mph.

Durametric connects and partially works, but it won't give me an exact read on the code and it would not clear it either

I used generic obd2 scanner and got p2181. The scanner couldn't reset the code either.

P2181 seems to relate to the cooling system. The temps are reading normal, though. I've had a light trigger once telling me the coolant temp sensor failed, but it disappeared on its own.

I disconnected the battery overnight and now the code is gone. Took the car for a drive and it runs fine with coolant temps normal. No repeat light either.
Mine just threw a P2181 code with no perceptible alteration in performance and normal temps.

Dealer couldn't find anything and reset it. So far, no recurrence over a couple hours of driving in high ambient heat.

Quick Reply: "Engine control fault, consult a workshop, driving permitted" - ok to track it?