1000+ mile road trip in LWB

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 05:26 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

LWBS are just fine for long hauls!
Have just finished 3000+ miles at 8-10 hrs a day.
Old 04-14-2015, 05:30 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it all depends on your size. I'm 6'7" and find the LWB's extremely comfortable. They support my ailing lower back perfectly...only a 1 hour drive so far.
Old 04-14-2015, 05:47 PM
Verinnal
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a note about why I picked the GT4. Personally, I think it was built specifically for me!!!

- I've got no children
- I made the mistake of getting a DCT trans in my M and I regret not getting a manual. Manuals are the only option for me going forward unless I lose the ability to use my left leg.
- I commute to Manhattan via train, and usually only drive 1.5 miles, each way, to and from the station during the week. Beyond that I do little to no driving during the week.
- My weekend driving consists of driving out of Long Island and up to Bear Mountain or taking a scenic cruise up the Taconic and picking random exits to see if I can discover a new twisty, unused road.
- My e92 M3 has a very stiff suspension and I've got no problem with that as a daily driver, with the caveat being that I haven't taken it on a drive longer than 4 hours. I figured I could then easily live with the suspension.

It's encouraging that people have gone very long distances (3000 miles? WOW) in LWB. I just keep going back to the history of back issues and wonder whether or not it will actually be a problem. It's interesting that people have had such different experiences, but that goes back to a previous poster's comments about the fact that it is different for everyone. Unfortunately, it's dramatically different.
Old 04-14-2015, 05:55 PM
DMoore
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

My GT3 has the LWB's. My 2 previous 911's, and both my Panameras, had the 18-way seats. My first 911 had the 4-way seats. So I guess I've had about every version of their seats except for the very base model.

I track/AX my car - so far I've done 2 AX events and 4 track days in the last 2 months. For that reason I have the LWB seats. I also use the car as a semi-daily driver (a few hundred miles a week) and the LWB's are a bit of a pain. Comfortable enough to drive in, but very limited adjustment and a total pain for ingress/egress. On a long drive I find it very helpful to be able to adjust the seat cushion and backrest angles occasionally. You can't do any of those things with the LBS's.

My Panamera has the 18-way seats and they are much more comfortable for a long drive.

I would not get the LWB's for my car if I didn't use it on the track.

Just my $.02.

DMoore
'15 GT3
'13 Panamera GTS
Old 04-14-2015, 06:09 PM
wsy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drove a gt3 with LWB, felt great once seated and short drive, but the in and out isn't so great even for a smaller guy. These seats would of been a hassle for me.

My GT3 is for DD and weekend runs, although LWB does look cool, but I much prefer my standard sofas, good enough support for hwy extensions and a little twisties!!

Can't imagine 1000 miles road trip... No way for me.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:54 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

I think it depends on each individual level of tolerance(we're not all the same,right?) and 1000 miles,with a lot of highway driving might also be dependent of a combination of factors : like tire noise or exhaust noise.
Old 04-14-2015, 07:01 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

I dont think I would recommend it. Really, if I plan to DD the car, I would have asked for the basic seats. The LWBS are for me unsuited for long drives. The reason is that you cannot incline it. My ferrari scud is more comfortable just because of that. You can use it, but I wont envy you.
Old 04-14-2015, 07:37 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
+1. Wrong car for your application
+1

GTS or Carrera (with manual of course for all the shifting done on the highway) for 1000+ mile trips
Old 04-14-2015, 07:48 PM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

This car is perfect for road trips. Probably the best there is. So don't worry about these guys that think a road trip is A to B. They should get a plane. Or a Panamera!

I went with standard 4-ways because I needed the recline for road trips. Both for grabbing 40-winks while stopped for a break and resting while my passenger takes the wheel.

Would have loved the LWBs otherwise. The 4-ways are awesome. Interestingly the 18-ways in my loaner Boxster were less comfortable and always gave me cramp, no matter how I adjusted them!
Old 04-14-2015, 08:19 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 153 Posts

The 4 ways in my GT3 are just as comfortable as the 18 ways in my Turbo. YMMV.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:02 PM
fishing
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Graville
This car is perfect for road trips. So don't worry about these guys that think a road trip is A to B. They should get a plane. Or a Panamera!
Agree. Enjoy your car. I'm getting the 18s because I have to drive 160 miles to the track and don't spend the night. That's 320 miles just going and coming from the track. The less driver fatigue I develop, the better I will drive at the track and the safer my ride back will be. I am assuming the 18s will work best in this situation.

I am an interventional pain physician and the lack of lumbar support can be an issue to anyone with a disc or radiculopathy problem. I developed a bad pinched nerve when I was breaking in my Cayman R in 2011. It had the 4 ways without lumbar adjustment. Thus, just to be safe, I am picking the 18 way seat which has the best lumbar adjustment. I have some lumbar support cushions which I occasionally use but I do not care for them.

The second post is interesting about the alcantara. The stickiness and any heat retention may become an issue. I think all the seats will offer more grip as a result. I wish smooth leather seats were an option.

I see the appeal of the LWBs, and if most of my trips were 1.5 hours or less, or if I tracked it more, I would likely buy them. I drive my race car, not my Porsche, 90% of the time at the track. Many of my trips will be around 2 to 2.5 hours one way, becoming 4-5 hour days.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:36 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm 6 ft and 245 so I certainly am no horse jockey but so far I've done a couple 7 hour drives and a 10 hour drive with LWBs....NO PROBLEMO! However, I agree with most that it depends on your build and if you have problems in seats for long hours in general. I also would not trade my LWBs for anything! My bigger issue with long trips is the sustained higher revs at 80+mph in GT3 vs other cars that are better suited for long hauls.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:12 PM
_BrakeDust_
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

5' 11" and 185 here. Did 10 hours straight each way about a month ago in LWBS. No problems at all. Comfort was fine and the 2 lanes roads I hit were epic. Glad I got the seats - no second thoughts whatsoever. Great on track too, but a cage and harnesses will be a nice improvement.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:19 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,790 Likes on 4,779 Posts

I think comfort, while sitting in the LWBs, will vary on the individual -- depending on the user's size, girth, weight, lower body strength, etc.

FWIW, I find them comfortable while actually sitting in them.

The real issue, for me anyway, in terms of using the GT3 with LWBs as a daily driver is ingress and egress.

I think even in Mary Lou Retton's heyday she'd probably sprain something if she had to get in and out of a GT3 with LWB's more than, say, half a dozen times a day, every single day of the week, every 52 weeks of the year.
Old 04-15-2015, 02:55 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

4 hour road trip, most comfortable seat ever owned. 5'11, 200lbs

Quick Reply: 1000+ mile road trip in LWB