Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another PTS story! Customer orders Golf Blue and gets....

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 11:00 AM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Your Gulf Blue pics look much better than the showroom pic....this car will be gone in a heartbeat
Old 03-23-2015, 11:00 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

And I thought Eduardo would be sleeping in today after working non stop on his own story for the past XX days or XX weeks?
Old 03-23-2015, 11:06 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by RBH
@Eduardo: I know that is Gulf blue, like I said; I'd take Gulf blue over a Golf blue any day of the week.
Yep - I think the factory actually did the customer a favor!
Old 03-23-2015, 11:19 AM
rubber_ducky
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 76 Posts

After reading about the Atlantic/Atlantis blue fiasco that was mentioned above, I was sure to use a color code when placing my most recent BMW "individual" order. I suppose that one wouldn't think to do this unless they've either read about or been a victim of a mix-up like this.

I'm sure the dealer is bummed that they botched a client order, but at least he's not stuck with a car in a color for which there's a limited market.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:27 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Well...I am wrong. There is such a thing as GOLF BLUE. I'll be damned. Rubbaman, I apologize.

I am flying to Stuttgart next week for remedial classes. I sill think Towson screwed up by not checking closely that the
color the customer requested was correctly/properly communicated to PAG/PCNA in the order.

They'll have no problems selling this 'Gulf Blue' gt3! I bet a Rennlister will snap it up today. Please post if you do!

Has anyone seen 'Golf Blue' on a Porsche?
I have not. What does it look like!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 03-23-2015, 11:39 AM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
There is such a thing as GOLF BLUE. I'll be damned
LOL! I thought you were pulling my leg at first when you denied its existence! This is one of the early historical colours. I too did a double take when I first saw it in one of the 1965 colour charts:

Never seen it in person, but this is what a quick (unverified) Google search brought up for example.

[image removed]

Very nice colour too. To each his own. Strange and disappointing that this mix up occurred. Poor customer. But, I'm sure someone else will be happy to drive away with this beauty!

Last edited by <3mph; 03-23-2015 at 11:57 AM. Reason: photo not verifiable as Golf blue (might be Ossi??)
Old 03-23-2015, 11:39 AM
RBH
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
Well...I am wrong. There is such a thing as GOLF BLUE. I'll be damned. Rubbaman, I apologize.

I am flying to Stuttgart next week for remedial classes. I sill think Towson screwed up by not checking closely that the
color the customer requested was correctly/properly communicated to PAG/PCNA in the order.

They'll have no problems selling this 'Gulf Blue' gt3! I bet a Rennlister will snap it up today. Please post if you do!

Has anyone seen 'Golf Blue' on a Porsche?
I have not. What does it look like!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
It was a standard colour on the 1966/1967 Porsche 912:

Old 03-23-2015, 11:40 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

I believe this is Golf Blue from 1966/67, can try to confirm tonight when I get home:

Old 03-23-2015, 11:46 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Originally Posted by <3mph

Never seen it in person, but this is what a quick (unverified) Google search brought up for example.

Very nice colour too. To each his own. Strange and disappointing that this mix up occurred. Poor customer. But, I'm sure someone else will be happy to drive away with this beauty!
I think that one is actually Ossi Blue - richer than Golf.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:56 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by RBH
@Eduardo: I know that is Gulf blue, like I said; I'd take Gulf blue over a Golf blue any day of the week.
Yes!

Originally Posted by STG991
And I thought Eduardo would be sleeping in today after working non stop on his own story for the past XX days or XX weeks?
That's true!

Originally Posted by NateOZ
Yep - I think the factory actually did the customer a favor!
Yes!

Originally Posted by rubber_ducky
After reading about the Atlantic/Atlantis blue fiasco that was mentioned above, I was sure to use a color code when placing my most recent BMW "individual" order. I suppose that one wouldn't think to do this unless they've either read about or been a victim of a mix-up like this.

I'm sure the dealer is bummed that they botched a client order, but at least he's not stuck with a car in a color for which there's a limited market.
Yes!

Originally Posted by <3mph
LOL! I thought you were pulling my leg at first when you denied its existence! This is one of the early historical colours. I too did a double take when I first saw it in one of the 1965 colour charts:

Now I am beginning to remember this color! Not that bad actually!

Originally Posted by RBH
It was a standard colour on the 1966/1967 Porsche 912:

Nice!

I believe this is Golf Blue from 1966/67, can try to confirm tonight when I get home:

Not a bad color when new. These hues tended to fade badly in the 1960's since the paint technology of the time was not yet perfected. Plus no final 'clear coat' was applied over the solid colors back then!

I am learning something new. Thank you all for this color lesson!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
<3mph
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I think that one is actually Ossi Blue - richer than Golf.
You could be right. The pic is from an ad for a 1967 car claiming it to be Golf blue, when in fact Ossi was available in paint choices in 1967 (not sure about Golf blue). Sorry, I'll remove the photo in case the info is incorrect.
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

I'm more interested I how this gets resolved and who ends up with the car?

Don't think there's going to be some sort of big "windfall" for the guy who ordered it. Mistakes are mistakes, don't expect much sympathy from the dealer or PAG.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:59 AM
ATXGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh boy--someone is getting bumped to the front of the RS line
Old 03-23-2015, 12:01 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Just fyi the car is "not available" but they will take your number and call if it becomes available.
Old 03-23-2015, 12:03 PM
goinpostol
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow... This thread has spread like wildfire! I think that some people have chosen to jump to some serious conclusions, with very little fact. I can assure you of a few things. 1. The sales manager did not say that the car is ugly, quite the contrary. He happens to be a BIG fan of Gulf Blue. 2. The factual story behind the car and it's color are known to the dealer and client, as it should be and should stay. 3. I can say with great certainty that the client has no issue with the dealer. 4. I can also say, with great certainty, that the car is not available for sale.

Quick Reply: Another PTS story! Customer orders Golf Blue and gets....