Notices
991 GT3 GT3RS and 911R
Sponsored by:

GT3 values, and Chris Harris speaks marketplace

 
Old 01-30-2015, 11:29 AM
  #61  
997rs4.0
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
997rs4.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Europe
Posts: 4,373
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default

997rs4.0 is offline  
Old 01-30-2015, 12:01 PM
  #62  
destaccado
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,183
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by AC SATCO View Post
i have owned them all and of course think the 991 is the best yet, its called progression. i dont care what motor porsche puts in thier race cars and i dont care what the reason is. none of that nonsense validates this car for me. when i drive it i am in control of an amazing machine and every single second i spend in the car i say to myself "im so glad i spent all that money on this thing" as opposed to saying the opposite. i and anyone else here does not need the 9a1 motor in the race cars in order to have fun in this car. 997=2007-2011 technology and 991 2014 and + technology. go and use a blackberry that's 7 years old. sure your emails are sending and receiving securely and you can get the job done with it, but don't tell me you can work faster on the old blackberry than you can on one of the newest smart phones. same thing here. same thing in my business, the lighting business. we make LED bulbs, the ones we made 7 years ago cant even compare to whats being produced now when it comes to performance, efficency, size, and technology.

9a1 is the newest, the best, the fastest, the highest revving, the most efficient, most reliable, and on and on. i don't care if its in the race cars, and no one here can even state for a fact that the 9a1 isn't in the race cars due to it not being race worthy, there are many theories as to why its not raced yet.
Claiming the newer cheaper product is better because it's newer technology and than comparing a sports car with a Blackberry is laughable. A lot of the changes to the 911 have been made because Porsche wants to better market to the asian market which wants the latest electronics, reduce manufacturing costs (hence the 9a1), and meet government fuel and emissions regulations (EPS, 7-speed manual vs 6). Porsche didn't replace the GT1 motor with the 9a1 because the 9a1 is a better motor. On the contrary -- they put the 9a1 in their cheapest vehicles first.

Last edited by destaccado; 01-30-2015 at 12:17 PM.
destaccado is online now  
Old 01-30-2015, 12:04 PM
  #63  
destaccado
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,183
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Not everyone lives next to a racetrack -- nor cares to watch the videos repeatedly posted. I suggest if the racetrack time is the definitive answer of what makes a street-legal car the best -- you go buy a Nissan. I hear they make a car that smokes yours and mine and ironically from what I've experienced gathers much more attention from women.

Last edited by destaccado; 01-30-2015 at 12:27 PM.
destaccado is online now  
Old 01-30-2015, 12:12 PM
  #64  
orthojoe
Super User
 
orthojoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 7,611
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by destaccado View Post
Not everyone lives next to a racetrack -- nor cares to watch the videos you've repeatedly posted. I suggest if the racetrack time is the definitive answer of what makes a street-legal car the best -- you go buy a Nissan. I hear they make a car that smokes yours and mine and ironically from what I've experienced gathers much more attention from women.
orthojoe is offline  
Old 01-30-2015, 12:13 PM
  #65  
JCBH
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
JCBH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,237
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by mrsullivan View Post
well thought out post... especially the part about relativity... for guys like me, the better question is - pick whatever Porsche you can for $150k or less... you can only have one... doesn't mean its a daily driver, mine is not, and many are not.... but in a stable with a 4.0 or cool vintage Porsches, maybe I don't grab the keys either... but I have owned some of those types of cars, and right now, as an only Porsche for weekend driving, I personally still think it is very fun and involving at street speeds... the sound and pull of the engine, the snorting and popping of the gearbox...if you stay in manual mode all the time, it still requires a fair amount of "thinking" on the street about what/when to select the right gear... of course I tend to get tired with any of them after a year or two, so I am sure that I will be wanting to do something different soon enough
Very well put. I think this sums up how a lot of us use these cars.
JCBH is offline  
Old 01-30-2015, 12:25 PM
  #66  
destaccado
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,183
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by orthojoe View Post
I want the best engine Porsche makes in my sports car. Typically that's the same motor Porsche chooses to race...

If the race track was where my street car was going to be predominantly used; I'd probably buy the CUP instead.
destaccado is online now  
Old 01-30-2015, 12:26 PM
  #67  
montoya
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
montoya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 3,104
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by destaccado View Post
Claiming the newer cheaper product is better because it's newer technology and than comparing a sports car with a Blackberry is laughable. A lot of the changes to the 911 have been made because Porsche wants to better market to the asian market which wants the latest electronics, reduce manufacturing costs (hence the 9a1), and meet government fuel and emissions regulations (EPS, 7-speed manual vs 6). Porsche didn't replace the GT1 motor with the 9a1 because the 9a1 is a better motor. On the contrary -- they put the 9a1 in their cheapest vehicles first.
Originally Posted by destaccado View Post
Not everyone lives next to a racetrack -- nor cares to watch the videos you've repeatedly posted. I suggest if the racetrack time is the definitive answer of what makes a street-legal car the best -- you go buy a Nissan. I hear they make a car that smokes yours and mine and ironically from what I've experienced gathers much more attention from women.
Your arguments are becoming tedious and are neither well reasoned nor insightful like those you argue against.
montoya is offline  
Old 01-30-2015, 12:28 PM
  #68  
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist
Member
 
mooty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: san francisco
Posts: 38,749
Likes: 0
Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Macca View Post
Funniest thing of all is having been on the board since inception and one of the first to post here and take delivery of a GT3 (14 months ago) I see many from the 997 GT3 camp here now as owners after much **** and fire slinging in the early days. A dew names pop up again from time to time, like today above which is always amusing but there is nothing new under the sun folks. Life goes on..
the real old farts like me, roleau, some dont even post anymore, always reserves judgement until we drive it.

----------------

value is a funny thing .
what you cannot get will cost more.
if htere are 50,000 copies of RS4.0, it will be worthless. it could be the last mezger and no one will give a crap.

991 could be a turbo 4 cylinder, as long as there are only 50 make with RS attached to it. the price will double.

sure a bit exaggerated but you get the picture. while production number has something to do with "value" there are other issues.

nostalgia
connection with motorsport
mezger
"purist" whatever that means

there is no single reason why certain model cost more. it's the gestalt that creates the "aura" and the feeding frenzy.

also some confuse and or interchange the words

best
purist
value
fast
performance
butt feel

if you want to talk objective performance 991 wins handsdown.
but it may not have all the "features" older cars have
forget 997, go to pre G 911. to go fast you have to to sideways. that's not how you drive the later cars. so if you want that feel, then get the right car for it.

finally, mkt is mkt but these cars are fairly small production (compared to jetta, camry etc) and in the used mkt there are only so many at one time for you to choose. some buyers are picky.. witness the green and orange phenomenon by virtue of their color, its 20-30 more. how do you describe that? it's not purer, not faster, not better performing, not rare vs to silver/orange or even blk/orange... this car is feeding frenzy.

personally i would pay more for a iron brk car than a pccb car. i would not take any car with sport chrono.

the orange/green and my not taking sport chrono car just threw a wrench in general mkt value graph....

i think it's cool to just find a car and drive it. all of these things are so good we are splitting hair. but it is fun doing that over coffee and paster
mooty is offline  
Old 01-30-2015, 12:28 PM
  #69  
destaccado
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,183
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by montoya View Post
Your arguments are becoming tedious and are neither well reasoned nor insightful like those you argue against.
Your argument doesn't contain one fact of your own and is simply an opinion of a guy heavily invested in the car he's protecting.
destaccado is online now  
Old 01-30-2015, 12:37 PM
  #70  
montoya
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
montoya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 3,104
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by destaccado View Post
Your argument doesn't contain one fact of your own and is simply an opinion of a guy heavily invested in the car he's protecting.
Here's a fact: I've owned both and I would have loved to keep both, but Forced to choose I keep the 991 gt3 over the .2. Have you owned either GT cars?
montoya is offline  
Old 01-30-2015, 12:41 PM
  #71  
ATXGT3
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Sticks
Posts: 1,621
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

ATXGT3 is offline  
Old 01-30-2015, 12:44 PM
  #72  
destaccado
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,183
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by montoya View Post
Here's a fact: I've owned both and I would have loved to keep both, but Forced to choose I keep the 991 gt3 over the .2. Have you owned either GT cars?
I'm sorry to hear about your financial problems. I think it's obvious what I own and my lack of owning a 991 GT3 has nothing to do with its affordability.
destaccado is online now  
Old 01-30-2015, 01:01 PM
  #73  
montoya
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
montoya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 3,104
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ATXGT3 View Post

I know what. was. I. thinking! I'm done with this guy.
montoya is offline  
Old 01-30-2015, 01:03 PM
  #74  
destaccado
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,183
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by AC SATCO View Post
9a1 is newer and more advanced technology than the mezger. FACT. whether that technology makes it cheaper to produce, more efficient, faster, stronger, whatever it is, is not the point. my point was its newer and better technology and it DOES perform better than the mezger on all fronts. HP, torque, RPM range, fuel economy, and on and on. the notion that you can not even accept that basic premise is laughable. its more advanced, what do you not get about that? and my blackberry analogy is spot on except for pricing, an old blackberry is woth pennies, old Porsche are not.

but im waiting for you again to debunk me, youll drift into something off topic of my statements and discuss some other things about the motor instead of directly answering my claims but thats ok, were used to it in here. all i know is i am happy with my car no matter what you call the motor and no matter who races with it. and when i compare it to the 996.2, 997.1 and 997.2 GT3s that i have OWNED (and you have NOT, ANY OF THEM!!!!) i enjoy this one the most and its 100% the fastest, FACT
I'm curious where you get the idea that the 9a1 performs better than the Mezger "on all fronts." Porsche clearly disagrees with you since they've chosen not to race it yet. You would think if it did everything you've claimed they'd be jumping at the chance to race the motor that costs them substantially less money to produce. Further, there's 1000 examples of cars with modified Mezger motors that outperform yours. Porsche even made 600 examples of them themselves back in 2011.

Keep going on with your **** Blackberry analogy. There's numerous older products that are simply better. For example, the 7-speed manual transmission is not better than the G50 in the 997 GT3s. Using your logic, the Boxster variant of the 9a1 should be better than the Mezger right? I mean -- it's newer technology bro. 2009 release vs 1990's. Hell forget Blackberry -- we're talking the Motorola Startac vs the iPhone now.
destaccado is online now  
Old 01-30-2015, 01:07 PM
  #75  
Haku
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
Haku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Southeast
Posts: 3,112
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default

destacado, it is really the personal and inflammatory nature and language of your posts that wash away and override much of the limited amount of fact that your posts contain. That is a shame. So that we are clear on the meaning of what I say and you take this onboard, for now and future reference here's an explanation of "Inflammatory language":

"Inflammatory language is a form of speech that is used with the intent to stir up emotions, elicit anger, or invoke a physical reaction. Name calling is one form, but the use is generally wider in scope, in the sense that it is used to attack, oppress, or denigrate groups of people...."

Some examples of inflammatory language:


Yelling "Pork!" in a crowded mosque.
Yelling "More pork!" in a crowded synagogue.
Yelling "Gilded Age!" in a Libertarian meeting.
Yelling "AIDS!" in a crowded bathhouse.
Yelling "Xenu!" in a Scientology meeting.
Yelling "I'm black and proud!" in a KKK meeting.
Yelling "Free beer!" in a crowded AA meeting.

.... and wait for it.... Yelling or implying "9A1 sucks! *see your quote below" in a 991 GT3 forum!

*"Porsche didn't replace the GT1 motor with the 9a1 because the 9a1 is a better motor. On the contrary -- they put the 9a1 in their cheapest vehicles first."

Apologies to all for going off topic. Mods feel free to do with this post as you see fit. No offense taken.
Haku is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GT3 values, and Chris Harris speaks marketplace


Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: