Notices
991 GT3 GT3RS and 911R
Sponsored by:

GT3 values, and Chris Harris speaks marketplace

 
Old 01-29-2015, 08:59 PM
  #31  
fxz
Super User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist h÷re...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Posts: 3,322
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by destaccado View Post
False. The Mezger was engineered for racing - hence the removable cylinder liners and everything else. The 9a1 was engineered for cost savings and fuel economy and then built up to be adequate for the GT car.
Originally Posted by destaccado View Post
The 997 RS isn't necessarily the last of the manuals. In fact I'd put my money in the other direction based on Porsche's comments of late. Porsche buyers are ponying up for the last of the analog mechanical cars. In essence, the last of what made Porsche what it was since inception.

False again to say that Mezger made what Porsche essence is Mezger is simply not Porsche just fyi and they were selected only because at time they were struggling without any successful ready engine to be plugged so went to the market and bought one This is a patch to fix an hole not the essence
fxz is online now  
Old 01-29-2015, 09:04 PM
  #32  
destaccado
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,187
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by fxz View Post
False again to say that Mezger made what Porsche essence is Mezger is simply not Porsche just fyi and they were selected only because at time they were struggling without any successful ready engine to be plugged so went to the market and bought one This is a patch to fix an hole not the essence
I'll have what you're smoking.
destaccado is offline  
Old 01-29-2015, 09:05 PM
  #33  
destaccado
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,187
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Just in time View Post
Ok let me take that back...let's say that when you get on a track you will see the tailpipes of other RSs with PDK. Maybe I am too competitive but even when I play a board game I am out to WIN. If the object is to take the car around the track and not post best times then I agree.
Maybe you should just buy a Cup car and enter in the racing series then - for the WIN!
destaccado is offline  
Old 01-29-2015, 09:08 PM
  #34  
Sloopy
User
 
Sloopy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Tuolumne County
Posts: 575
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D View Post
I never look out the review mirror in life but only the windshield. And this applies to my GT3. Not worried about who is behind me but who I need to pass in front - except for the police who have nailed me twice since Aug -but no tickets
Look forward only. Cant change dry cement!
Sloopy is offline  
Old 01-29-2015, 09:17 PM
  #35  
MarcusG
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
MarcusG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Newport Beach
Posts: 1,229
Likes: 0
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

I thought the reason U. K. received fewer GT3's is because Jeremy Clarkson is an a**hole & Porsche hates him.


j/k.

I love watching Top Gear.

Was just trying to lighten the mood.
MarcusG is offline  
Old 01-29-2015, 09:20 PM
  #36  
ATXGT3
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Sticks
Posts: 1,621
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

ATXGT3 is offline  
Old 01-29-2015, 09:58 PM
  #37  
mrsullivan
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
mrsullivan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 5,621
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

what a bunch of nonsense... I have owned many mezgers... this engine is more exciting to me in every way, sounds and drives more like a race car and more exotic than my 2011 GT3... no one is saying that mezger engines aren't great, and special... it was my license plate - MEZGER - on my last GT3. But to suggest that the new GT3 engine is all about cost reduction is just silly... like me saying that anyone driving a 993 C4S is not really driving a real air cooled Porsche because its 4 wheel drive like an SUV...just sayin....that would be nonsense...
mrsullivan is offline  
Old 01-29-2015, 10:07 PM
  #38  
bigkraig
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
bigkraig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: West Hollywood
Posts: 1,289
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

i dont know if you guys are familiar with that dudes post history but he is a massive 9a1/mezger troll. i basically gave up on the rs thread the last time he was there
bigkraig is offline  
Old 01-29-2015, 10:08 PM
  #39  
ipse dixit
Super User
 
ipse dixit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6,500
Likes: 0
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Default

I must be a total weirdo.

I actually bought my GT3 to drive.

Not as an investment.

For that, I can buy tulips ...
ipse dixit is offline  
Old 01-29-2015, 10:19 PM
  #40  
CodeRed
User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Santa monica
Posts: 1,328
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

^ Bingo, we have a winner!
CodeRed is offline  
Old 01-29-2015, 10:32 PM
  #41  
Macca
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Macca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 14,140
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by destaccado View Post
The 997 RS isn't necessarily the last of the manuals. In fact I'd put my money in the other direction based on Porsche's comments of late. Porsche buyers are ponying up for the last of the analog mechanical cars. In essence, the last of what made Porsche what it was since inception.
Yes hence the value increase in aircooled cars specifically long hoods!

This nonsense about the value of GT3s is tiring. They havent eclipsed their original retail price of only a few years ago in most cases and much of the increase has been due to the slow release of new GT models (991 GT3 & RS for already much discussed reasons) and of course in some cases a lack of manual ( a situation I suspect which may remedy itself to some degree over time as older GT3 owners try the new GT3 & RS when its launched).

Then take the example of a 72 911S or a 964RS or a 993 C4S or Turbo or go help us a 993RS and you will see where the real appreciation is happening in the market!!!

Many collectors feel it all went to the dogs after the 993. This thing we think we are feeling about the purity of the 996/997 GT3 is all complete BS when you dial it back to the earlier cars that actually had the same crank case numbers as the much praised GT1 the engine basis now known of as Mezger which 10 years ago was known as GT1 engine and before that not discussed at all. Having been an aircooled guy all the time I find it fascinating listening to the 996/997 croud about "purity". The cars are heavier, have PASM & ESC, gizmos & nannies less direct steering and poorer build quality by far. Plus they have water cooled engines not what the Dr intended! OMG!!!!

Funniest thing of all is having been on the board since inception and one of the first to post here and take delivery of a GT3 (14 months ago) I see many from the 997 GT3 camp here now as owners after much **** and fire slinging in the early days. A dew names pop up again from time to time, like today above which is always amusing but there is nothing new under the sun folks. Life goes on..
Macca is offline  
Old 01-29-2015, 10:36 PM
  #42  
destaccado
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,187
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by bigkraig View Post
i dont know if you guys are familiar with that dudes post history but he is a massive 9a1/mezger troll. i basically gave up on the rs thread the last time he was there
Yet twice you've came in here and trolled me in this thread alone. You haven't disputed anything I've stated with a single fact. Irony?

Last edited by destaccado; 01-29-2015 at 10:54 PM.
destaccado is offline  
Old 01-29-2015, 10:49 PM
  #43  
destaccado
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,187
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Macca View Post
Yes hence the value increase in aircooled cars specifically long hoods!

This nonsense about the value of GT3s is tiring. They havent eclipsed their original retail price of only a few years ago in most cases and much of the increase has been due to the slow release of new GT models (991 GT3 & RS for already much discussed reasons) and of course in some cases a lack of manual ( a situation I suspect which may remedy itself to some degree over time as older GT3 owners try the new GT3 & RS when its launched).

Then take the example of a 72 911S or a 964RS or a 993 C4S or Turbo or go help us a 993RS and you will see where the real appreciation is happening in the market!!!

Many collectors feel it all went to the dogs after the 993. This thing we think we are feeling about the purity of the 996/997 GT3 is all complete BS when you dial it back to the earlier cars that actually had the same crank case numbers as the much praised GT1 the engine basis now known of as Mezger which 10 years ago was known as GT1 engine and before that not discussed at all. Having been an aircooled guy all the time I find it fascinating listening to the 996/997 croud about "purity". The cars are heavier, have PASM & ESC, gizmos & nannies less direct steering and poorer build quality by far. Plus they have water cooled engines not what the Dr intended! OMG!!!!

Funniest thing of all is having been on the board since inception and one of the first to post here and take delivery of a GT3 (14 months ago) I see many from the 997 GT3 camp here now as owners after much **** and fire slinging in the early days. A dew names pop up again from time to time, like today above which is always amusing but there is nothing new under the sun folks. Life goes on..
So your argument is that the 997 crowd isn't driving 'pure' cars compared to the 993...Fair enough. I think everyone can draw their own line where they'd like.

...but then you bring up the 997 build quality to build quasi support for the 991? Did you forget defective motors keeping owners out of their cars for months? The lack of proper buttons being installed at the factory, other issues people have been having with the 991...I own a 991 and I would hardly call it more reliable or better built than the 997.2 it replaced regardless of personal transmission choice. If anything - it just feels like a Porsche designed to cater more towards the Asian market that's buying it in much greater numbers now than ever before and to fulfill more stringent government regulations regarding things no normal Porsche owner gives two ****s about.

The fact is - the 991 GT3 is an excellent car. The sum of its parts is pretty damn good. ...but sometimes you come over here to the 991 thread hoping to read about the RS developments and you see someone who has their mouth so far around Porsche's **** that something needs to be said before they choke to death. (I'm not referring to you)
destaccado is offline  
Old 01-30-2015, 02:17 AM
  #44  
Macca
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Macca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 14,140
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by destaccado View Post
So your argument is that the 997 crowd isn't driving 'pure' cars compared to the 993...Fair enough. I think everyone can draw their own line where they'd like. ...but then you bring up the 997 build quality to build quasi support for the 991? Did you forget defective motors keeping owners out of their cars for months? The lack of proper buttons being installed at the factory, other issues people have been having with the 991...I own a 991 and I would hardly call it more reliable or better built than the 997.2 it replaced regardless of personal transmission choice. If anything - it just feels like a Porsche designed to cater more towards the Asian market that's buying it in much greater numbers now than ever before and to fulfill more stringent government regulations regarding things no normal Porsche owner gives two ****s about. The fact is - the 991 GT3 is an excellent car. The sum of its parts is pretty damn good. ...but sometimes you come over here to the 991 thread hoping to read about the RS developments and you see someone who has their mouth so far around Porsche's **** that something needs to be said before they choke to death. (I'm not referring to you)
Fair points.

I was referring to 996/997/991 build quality vs the earlier aircooled cars. Not in terms of paint nor panel gaps more in terms of solidness and materials quality (carpet, interior finishes, door handles etc).

I have spent a lot of time in Porsche workshops and I don't put a lot of credence over mezger reliability vs 9A1 either. My Porsche main agent service guy says the 7.2 Carreras with9a1 are proving more reliable than anything yet. The 7.2 GT3 has had its fair share of engine related warranty bulletins that I can see. We have never been told officially why PAG spent 100MM on pulling 785 GT3 power units out and replacing them due to 3-4 early hour total failures of late build engines. My position on this is known. I believe it was due to assembly tool calibration. Unfortunately the part that tool was partially responsible for installing was build with very precise tolerances that the tools calibration could not reliably conform too. I believe a great deal of the engines built in the first few months were probably 100% A ok. Replacing the fastening for the component specified in the soon to be released 4.0 RS allowed greater fail safes. The rods I believe may have been replaced too. Much of this is speculation I will not lie, but I have also heard a few factory snippets enough to draw my own conclusion. Essentially this was a assembly issue compounded by a design that created unrealistic parameters. It should never have happened and I agree with you this is a reflection of where PAG are headed as a volume company with a growing model portfolio and a heavy management hand.
Macca is offline  
Old 01-30-2015, 04:29 AM
  #45  
997s07
User
 
997s07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,195
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Those who have the 991 GT3 will, for the most part, side with the 9A1. That much has been clear for a while. There was a a lot of back and forth on the consolodated RS thread about the Mezger and the GT3 9A1. The bottom line is that the Mezger is raced, used in the 991 Cup and 991 RSR, and the 9A1 isn't. Why? No one really knows for sure, but logic does say the 9A1 may not have been up to par.

End of story, the "GT1" engine won Le Mans, and the 9A1 has so far won nothing. The 9A1 engine is a lot lighter than the GT1 engine. It's more efficient, better low end torque, but still not good enough to race.

And as far as the market goes, the values of manual cars for non GT cars are lower than their comparable PDK versions. The GT1 engine does have a pull on the market.
997s07 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GT3 values, and Chris Harris speaks marketplace


Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: