Sponsored by:

First LWB with harness installed driver and passenger

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 11:14 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
I think adding something on the inside edge is a good idea. I wouldn't bother with any reinforcement. My pole position seats have something like these on the inside of the hole. Would keep belts from chaffing on the carbon which is sort of sharp.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#edge-trim/=vqa3dq

Like this:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#trim-molding/=vqa5h3
Originally Posted by doba_s
perhaps it will be ok, i just tend to be safe than sorry
Originally Posted by <3mph
Thanks montoya!! The pictures and descriptions are top notch. I really appreciate your willingness to share this info. Great job! Much appreciated!
Thanks everyone, I didn't need to do it right away, but there is so much speculation regarding the passenger seat, it motivated me to do it. It really is incredibly strange why it isn't this way from the factory. Really nothing gets in the way- it looks like they designed the sensor and wires to be out of the way, and then at the last minute they closed it off for some reason- probably some esoteric part of the certification. Maybe a 350 pound passenger causes some sort of problem- I don't know.

But again, to reiterate, this is now identical to the drivers side seat- hole is the same size, and the since the seats are the same- well, that ends the debate for me on structure and integrity of the shell. Maybe that 350 lb dummy doesn't fit in the driver's seat....

As far as the carbon fiber- I did smooth and sand the edges, they are smooth with no sharpness. It won't hurt to put something on the edge, but again it's not necessary. The one thing I should do though is finish the cut edge with resin to prevent any future fraying of that edge- this is recommended for CF cuts. That, with an edge protection as linked above is the belt and suspenders approach.

Lastly, I will play a little more with the cushion opening, a little work with a needle and thread will keep it from every seperating more than needed. I'll post more pics on that in the coming few days.

Thanks again everyone!
Old 02-02-2015, 11:18 AM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Question: does the velcro on either side of the cushion opening on the driver's side keep the hole from enlarging by securing it to the seat also? Perhaps this is worth replicating on the modified passenger cushion then?
Old 02-02-2015, 11:42 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

^No, I don't think so, it is there to keep the material seperated so when it's down on the shell it isn't folded over and covering up the hole. The threads at the top of the cushion really aren't stressed until you open it up to put the belt through and that is once in a while. The velcro doesn't help that, but a little sewing on each edge of the opening will reinforce it so the rest of the thread won't unravel.
Old 02-04-2015, 11:23 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

A quick update: Cantrell will also have a subbar solution- still in process, they will be installing my half cage, as others, one of us will post when we get the details.
Old 02-05-2015, 12:46 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

More sillyness- these pop right out, my wife was complaining about them so just used a plastic interior pry tool from the back- pop- out they came, the CF is fully finished inside the hole, looks a lot better!

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1413
Size:  170.4 KB
Old 02-05-2015, 12:54 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Views: 1578
Size:  104.3 KB

Much better!
Old 02-05-2015, 12:55 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Growing collection of DOT useless parts for LWB's!

Views: 1383
Size:  101.6 KB
Old 02-05-2015, 01:05 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Nice! Thanks for the info on the Cantrell sub bar mount.
Old 02-05-2015, 02:34 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by montoya
Attachment 908774

Much better!
You are the LWB seat pioneer !!!!! Many thanx
Old 02-05-2015, 02:59 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just went out to my car to survey the popping out of that small cushion piece....the cap on the back of the seat popped out w/o a pry tool with my finger nail. Cap off the back and push the cushion out. 5 second operation...priceless !!!. The seat now looks like a 918 seat.
Old 02-05-2015, 03:19 AM
shinysideup
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reason For Leather Pads

The leather pads are definitely not the most aesthetically pleasing. Porsche leaves them off all the GT3, GT4, and 918 images I've seen, so clearly they agree. I've come to the conclusion that it must be a US specific requirement that has forced this afterthought.

My best guess is that they needed these parts to pass FMVSS 202 due to the distance from an occupant's head being too far from the head restraint for rear impact protection. My guess is that a 50th percentile male's head lands somewhere in front of the central hole in the headrest and it could be argued that this then makes the backset distance more than 50mm (Read Regulations for reference). Adding a padded plastic piece was most likely a quick band aid to homologate the seats for the US market.

Any other theories?
Old 02-05-2015, 06:48 AM
rm21
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Montoya - thanks for being such a pioneer. I just popped out my leather seat pads. Never would have thought it would be that easy if you hadn't mentioned it. My seat will get the surgical treatment as soon as my Cantrell roll bar arrives.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:29 AM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice job on the neck pillows! I can see them coming out on mine when it arrives!
Old 02-05-2015, 11:13 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rockitman
I just went out to my car to survey the popping out of that small cushion piece....the cap on the back of the seat popped out w/o a pry tool with my finger nail. Cap off the back and push the cushion out. 5 second operation...priceless !!!. The seat now looks like a 918 seat.
Awesome!

Originally Posted by shinysideup
The leather pads are definitely not the most aesthetically pleasing. Porsche leaves them off all the GT3, GT4, and 918 images I've seen, so clearly they agree. I've come to the conclusion that it must be a US specific requirement that has forced this afterthought.

My best guess is that they needed these parts to pass FMVSS 202 due to the distance from an occupant's head being too far from the head restraint for rear impact protection. My guess is that a 50th percentile male's head lands somewhere in front of the central hole in the headrest and it could be argued that this then makes the backset distance more than 50mm (Read Regulations for reference). Adding a padded plastic piece was most likely a quick band aid to homologate the seats for the US market.

Any other theories?
No, it's certainly that and the lack of passthru is the new 350# passenger requirement! (I made that one up!)

Originally Posted by rm21
Montoya - thanks for being such a pioneer. I just popped out my leather seat pads. Never would have thought it would be that easy if you hadn't mentioned it. My seat will get the surgical treatment as soon as my Cantrell roll bar arrives.
Nice job on the neck pillows! I can see them coming out on mine when it arrives!
Glad to be of assistance everyone!
Old 02-05-2015, 12:30 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 325 Posts

+1, figured it would be that easy. Great to see they didn't do something stupid like glue them in.

Quick Reply: First LWB with harness installed driver and passenger