Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

should I break in? Picking her up in few hours

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 12:13 AM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What makes things even more confusing is all the 2014 engine replacements, came with the instruction from Porsche, that the car be driven for 25+/- miles varying RPM as high as 7000 RPM prior to delivery. That's a Tad higher than 4200 Rpm.
Old 11-29-2014, 12:17 AM
skuplist
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok so my question is who thinks its important to do an oil change at 2000 miles post break in? Porsche does not recommend one in the manual.
Old 11-29-2014, 12:17 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by doubleurx
What makes things even more confusing is all the 2014 engine replacements, came with the instruction from Porsche, that the car be driven for 25+/- miles varying RPM as high as 7000 RPM prior to delivery. That's a Tad higher than 4200 Rpm.
Now the cats amongst the pigeons!
Old 11-29-2014, 12:18 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

I did a conservative breakin on my 996.2-3... I did the mustang dyno' after 3000 miles in low humidity 75 degree weather. The car had a europipe 100 cell cat exhaust. ...376 rwhp ....I think spec was 375 at the crank, so my conservative not driving like I stole it breakin produced a strong motor with little oil consumption.
Old 11-29-2014, 12:26 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

[QUOTE=Macca;11837185]This thread is so funny.

So what does the USA manual say about break in for a standard 991 Carrera S? Surely if the article (which has been pasted into previous engine break in threads on this board already) is correct its 2000 miles?

So why does the manual for every other country in the world state nothing about the 4000 rpm?

Doesnt that make you curious? Plus two of us taking ED on here have been given different information from the factory.

[QUOTE]

Oh, its light years beyond funny- and moving at ludicrous speed! They just can't see it.

Like, there was the final for this one college class, Deductive Reasoning and Symbolic Logic 300. The final consisted mostly of the dreaded story problems. What you learn in SL300 is how to discard distracting flowery frippery, pare a statement down to its essential falsifiable declarative essence, and then perform simple logic functions to show whether the collection of statements (ie, argument) is valid or not. There was one question that when first read sounded like it just had to be valid, but when worked out fell completely apart into utter nonsense. Just like the factory break-in advice.

And you know, a LOT of people got that one wrong. They just couldn't set their feelings aside long enough to reach the logical conclusion. Even though they knew it was the final in a class on logic. So no wonder lots of people aren't curious about the blatant flaws you pointed out. They probably don't even see them as flaws.
Old 11-29-2014, 12:35 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Chuck.

Ive finally learnt something here today: "Deductive Reasoning and Symbolic Logic 300". A course I simply must acquaint myself with as an adult student one day when I have the chance to go back to Varsity and learn all those interesting subjects I wanted to do but was told would lead to a life of poverty and misery LOL!
Old 11-29-2014, 12:36 AM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Now the cats amongst the pigeons!
300 cel cats no less!

I've got 1600 miles on mine. I've been letting it rip! Such a different beast between 6K-9K!
Old 11-29-2014, 12:37 AM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by skuplist
Ok so my question is who thinks its important to do an oil change at 2000 miles post break in? Porsche does not recommend one in the manual.
I've done this with all my cars. The GT3 got it right around 1400 miles.
Old 11-29-2014, 12:40 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 166 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911

Oh, its light years beyond funny- and moving at ludicrous speed! They just can't see it.

Like, there was the final for this one college class, Deductive Reasoning and Symbolic Logic 300. The final consisted mostly of the dreaded story problems. What you learn in SL300 is how to discard distracting flowery frippery, pare a statement down to its essential falsifiable declarative essence, and then perform simple logic functions to show whether the collection of statements (ie, argument) is valid or not. There was one question that when first read sounded like it just had to be valid, but when worked out fell completely apart into utter nonsense. Just like the factory break-in advice.

And you know, a LOT of people got that one wrong. They just couldn't set their feelings aside long enough to reach the logical conclusion. Even though they knew it was the final in a class on logic. So no wonder lots of people aren't curious about the blatant flaws you pointed out. They probably don't even see them as flaws.
So. Put you down as a "no" then....?
Old 11-29-2014, 12:43 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,100 Likes on 5,261 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
So. Put you down as a "no" then....?
Definitely a "no" - as in "No, he does not own, or will own, a GT3, or even a 991 911."
Old 11-29-2014, 12:46 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

A 1000 mile oil change or even a 2000 mile oil change is a waste. Any tiny breakin metal particles stick to the magnetic oil plugs and oil filter anyway. I will do an annual change regardless of mileage. Of course I won't clock over 3-4k miles In a year based on my past history.
Old 11-29-2014, 12:47 AM
provoke
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys you do realize "every" car that leaves Porsche factory is ran on their test track under extreme conditions.. If you witnessed what I saw there you would have no worries otherwise about break in.. I get a kick out of all the used GT3's for sale that has "never been tracked" in the listing yet 80% of them supposedly are tracked... Unless you know the owner you will have no idea otherwise and even if you do unless you sat in the passenger seat for every break in mile you really have no idea.. I agree if I knew the history was cleaner on 1 vs the other its a no brainer the question is how you know?
Old 11-29-2014, 12:51 AM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by provoke
Guys you do realize "every" car that leaves Porsche factory is ran on their test track under extreme conditions.. If you witnessed what I saw there you would have no worries otherwise about break in.. I get a kick out of all the used GT3's for sale that has "never been tracked" in the listing yet 80% of them supposedly are tracked... Unless you know the owner you will have no idea otherwise and even if you do unless you sat in the passenger seat for every break in mile you really have no idea.. I agree if I knew the history was cleaner on 1 vs the other its a no brainer the question is how you know?
Unfortunately, no this is not true.
Old 11-29-2014, 12:54 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 166 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
So what does the USA manual say about break in for a standard 991 Carrera S? Surely if the article (which has been pasted into previous engine break in threads on this board already) is correct its 2000 miles?
Mark, sorry to revisit this but I didn't notice it until chuck991 responded to it. Maybe I don't understand the question. The Porsche iManual says the following about break in procedure for the 991 Carrera S. Looks the same as for the GT3. Do you have contrary info or am I missing something?

Break in hints for the first 2,000 miles (3,000 kilometers)
The following tips will be helpful in obtaining optimum performance from your new Porsche.
Despite the most modern, high-precision manufacturing methods, the moving parts must still wear in with each other. This wearing-in occurs mainly in the first 2,000 miles (3,000 km).
Therefore:
ˇ Preferably take longer trips.
ˇ Avoid frequent cold starts with short-distance driving whenever possible.
ˇ Avoid full throttle starts and abrupt stops.
ˇ Do not exceed maximum engine speed of 4,200 rpm (revolutions per minute).
ˇ Do not run a cold engine at high rpm either in Neutral or in gear.
ˇ Do not let the engine labor, especially when driving uphill. Shift to the next lower gear in time (use the most favorable rpm range).
ˇ Never lug the engine in high gear at low speeds. This rule applies at all times, not just during the break-in period.
ˇ Do not participate in motor racing events, sports driving schools, etc. during the first 2,000 miles (3,000 kilometers).
There may be a slight stiffness in the steering, gear-shifting or other controls during the break-in period which will gradually disappear.

http://www.porscheownersmanuals.com/.../6/Breaking-in
Old 11-29-2014, 12:55 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by doubleurx
Unfortunately, no this is not true.

Wouldn't it show on the odometer ? What is the minimum delivery miles any one has had on a new GT3 ? Super low miles means it wasn't run in by Porsche so to speak.

Quick Reply: should I break in? Picking her up in few hours