Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Totally PTS GT3

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 04:18 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Frankly I think this story add value to Tpups car if his is the one in the pictures. Its a unique story and all happened at the factory so "kosha". If they stop PTS then this could have been the staw that broke the camels back which IMO gives the car even more of a cult status. Looking forward 10 years to an enthusiast on this board its gotta be worth another 10 grand!
Old 11-22-2014, 01:39 AM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Very interesting but unbelievable... Voodoo
I wonder if the deck lid and wing were indeed voodoo (good eye Macca) and left over from the Czech car? Another loose end tied up maybe.

http://www.autogespot.com/porsche-99...014/11/08#img6
Old 11-22-2014, 09:49 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by <3mph
I wonder if the deck lid and wing were indeed voodoo (good eye Macca) and left over from the Czech car? Another loose end tied up maybe.

http://www.autogespot.com/porsche-99...014/11/08#img6
Daniel:

I think it really doesn't matter where the deck lid w. wing came from that was put on the 'Aqua Blue' gt3. Whether it is 'Aquamarine' or 'Voodoo', it was obviously an 'extra' part that they had 'laying around'. Their 'Just-in-time' & 'Just-in-Sequence' production method that doesn't tolerate duplicates or 'spare' parts (e.g. bumpers or deck lids) hanging on shelves along the assembly floor just for the taking.

There are simply too many exterior parts on this 991 PTS 'Aqua Blue' gt3 that are 'temporary' which causes deeper suspicions. If either the outsource vendor or Porsche's paint facility made a mistake, more than likely all of these parts would have arrived in the same incorrect color via 'just-in-time' & 'just-in-sequence' logistics. The fact that they are all different colors suggest a massive failure in the coordination & delivery of parts for this particular car. I could see the logistics failing to deliver the correct 'Aqua Blue' rear bumper on this gt3. In fact, I was there to document such an event on a Boxster in April of 2013, which I talked about in an earlier post. But the 'Maritime or Voodoo' deck lid w. wing, the 'Platinum Silver' or 'Carrara White Metallic' (can't tell) exterior rear view mirrors and 'Cognac' door latches??? This would have to be the unluckiest PTS gt3 in history to have suffered this type of coordination failure rate! And some of these parts are in colors no longer offered in MY2014 or MY2015 - e.g. 'Cognac' - which suggest to me really 'old' inventory just laying around in case of these types of 'no show' emergencies.

There is a story here...we just don't yet know exactly why the failure rate on correct colored parts was so dismal on this particular vehicle! But the solution the factory gave to the 'problem', once it became apparent, was to substitute 'spare' parts that were of a different color just to make the car 'go down' the assembly line and complete its 'built'. That part is now obvious...and a very practical solution too in my opinion! The question now is what impact this particular 'failure' had on the decision to eliminate PTS on the rest of MY2015 production not yet scheduled. That is something I hope to learn in the not-too-distant future.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images     
Old 11-22-2014, 10:10 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I just love the 991 GT3. Its already steeped in history and scandal from its birth and sleuth stories like this just further intrigue me. It really is the gift that keeps on giving ;-)
Old 11-22-2014, 11:22 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
I just love the 991 GT3. Its already steeped in history and scandal from its birth and sleuth stories like this just further intrigue me. It really is the gift that keeps on giving ;-)
Couldn't agree more!
Old 11-23-2014, 02:43 PM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

If I had only known how famous the car would be I would've taken more pictures!
Old 11-23-2014, 02:47 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
I think it really doesn't matter where the deck lid w. wing came from that was put on the 'Aqua Blue' gt3. Whether it is 'Aquamarine' or 'Voodoo', it was obviously an 'extra' part that they had 'laying around'
Hi Eduardo,
Yes, I understand and agree with what you're saying. I was simply interested in its origin, since in order for there to be a GT3 deck lid in that colour laying around, there had to have been a GT3 in the same colour (and probably produced not too far before in time). And at the time of the original post, we hadn't yet seen any such car. Now we have, assuming it is a Voodoo lid!

As for the door handles, I would imagine these parts are interchangeable between all 911 variants, not just the GT3 (unlike the deck lid), which means that old Cognac handles could be laying around from another car, even a non-GT3. And it seems like we still don't have a great explanation for the little stickers, and perhaps these are relevant.

BTW, Eduardo, do you know if the bumpers, deck lid, mirrors, and door handles would be manufactured by the same outsourced company for PTS cars? (Even if for standard colours these parts may be divided amongst more than one company.) This would make sense for one-off colours where it would be easier to coordinate the colour for these panels/parts in one paint shop, versus multiple contractors all trying to match the colour. If that were the case, then this may not represent as massive a failure as we all might be imagining. Instead it could even be a late shipping issue from the one supplier; or simply that the paint was not a good enough match in general or the wrong colour painted (and therefore all parts were rejected). In contradistinction, when a single part is unavailable for a PTS build, it could be related to a defect in that specific part only (e.g. a scratch or blister or particulate matter, etc), rendering that part alone unusable. Just speculating again.

And, I too am very curious about the connection between this and the changes in PTS, if there is indeed a link. Although, I'm not convinced of this yet. Perhaps the changes to PTS could have been brought about to respond to increased demand, as opposed to as a result of problems with production per se. So, I suppose it could still be just purely random that both happened near the same time!

Thanks again for your insight and the great wealth of information your keep bringing to this fascinating topic.
Cheers,
Daniel

Quick Reply: Totally PTS GT3